LED Lighting of Other Road Users

Do you have opinion of other road users LED lighting?

• They are an improvement to safety, I've no issues

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I'm not overly concerned but I occasionally feel discomfort from their lights

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Sometimes my visibility is impaired by them as I'm driving

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I am regularly blinded and consider them to be a nuisance

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I don't see issue with those that feel need or just like to use fog lights, if they are aimed to serve the purpose of illuminating close to the vehicle 'for foggy conditions'. But the MOT doesn't look at aim of these.

Many cars now use the fog light/s as cornering lights, as they are to illuminate close to and show the edging. I've never been dazzled by a cornering light, and come to that don't remember being dazzled by fog lights.

A few days ago I experimented using my fog lights to see if they could help to combat the dazzle of oncoming LED's, it made little difference as it is further ahead I need assistance with when I'm dazzled. The fog lights illuminate so close I still wouldn't see what I've been caused to lose sight of ahead.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I remember having this on a Ford Orion.
I thought it was a Ford thing from the 80's, but as you say it never lasted.
It was banned as opposed to not catching on.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Thats interesting...and quite a few years after my Orion which was 1989.
I still think it was Ford who were first with this technology because they were using it prior to my Orion, but Im not sure for how long.
I had it on a Citroen BX in 1987.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
DRL, also far too bright, the clue is in the name, why don't they switch off when the headlights are on?
They dim when headlights are turned on otherwise they would be too bright.
If you unlock your car while standing in front of it at night you can see how much brighter the DRL are.
They also dim on the relevant side during the day when an indicator is active, if the indicator is contained within the light unit.

Edit.
I will wait to hear of exceptions to this. :D

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If you unlock your car while standing in front of it at night you can see how much brighter the DRL are.
They also dim on the relevant side during the day when an indicator is active, if the indicator is contained within the light unit.

Edit.

not wishing to disappoint .... ;)
My Smart's (451) OE DRLs switch off when the main lights are on :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The “Brabus” ones on my smart also switch off when headlights are on :p

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats fine...they either dim or switch off completely, but never remain at full intensity when headlights are on. :)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.

Edit.

Mine start blue when I unlock the car :D:rolleyes::geek:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was banned as opposed to not catching on.
I done my own research into this....
The technology was not banned, but the requirement to use it was.
Dim Dip was only adopted by the UK and made compulsory at the time, but in 1988 the European Commission took legal action against the UK government and won, which meant it was no longer a legal requirement to use Dim Dip.
UK vehicles carried on using this technology into the 90's but there was no longer a legal requirement to do so.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Bit bored so thought would start something off and see how many feel the same.

I am old enough to remember sealed beam units !!!, but honestly, i seemed to get dazzled all the time now by LED headlights, I know they are LED as are white and burn my eye's.
I even have to dip the rear mirror on a lot of occasions.
Is it just me ? or are headlight adjustments not the same as they used to be. I have even flashed some drivers that appear to only know how to drive at night on main beam.

And another thing, why is it that van delivery drivers at night always park up outside some ones house with headlights on full beam !!!

Replies on a post card, if not reply here.

(yes i am a grumpy old bored git, before you ask)

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I agree with you on the dazzling bit. As I'm in my mid 60's I think it's age related. The thing that really hacks me off is the people who drive with there fog lamps on when there not necessary. On the subject of lights a lot of car manufacturers now fit front running lights. The dash board lights are on all the time as well so, when its dark unless you physically turn on your lights or there in auto mode you think your lights are all on. ( If you know what I mean ) That's why you see a lot of cars now with no rear lights on.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Bit bored so thought would start something off and see how many feel the same.

I am old enough to remember sealed beam units !!!, but honestly, i seemed to get dazzled all the time now by LED headlights, I know they are LED as are white and burn my eye's.
I even have to dip the rear mirror on a lot of occasions.
Is it just me ? or are headlight adjustments not the same as they used to be. I have even flashed some drivers that appear to only know how to drive at night on main beam.

And another thing, why is it that van delivery drivers at night always park up outside some ones house with headlights on full beam !!!

Replies on a post card, if not reply here.

(yes i am a grumpy old bored git, before you ask)
I’ve merged your thread with another that highlights (see what I did there...;)) the issue.

Try driving an SLK when the rest of the world are in SUV’s... some lights are so badly aligned / designed that it’s ridiculous.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I’ve merged your thread with another that highlights (see what I did there...;)) the issue.

Try driving an SLK when the rest of the world are in SUV’s... some lights are so badly aligned / designed that it’s ridiculous.
If you think an SLK is bad try a Smart Roadster.
I stopped using mine in winter due to the amount of dazzle off wet roads from excessively bright lights.

And I also believe modern LEDs are too bright.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
So halogen are 1500 lm

Xenon / HID ?

LED ?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom