Lights Upgrade......What ones?!?!

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
TrueBlue,
Lost Kiwi and Craig have both outlined the legal position regarding the fitting of HID lamps into Halogen headlights and I can add;

I have heard that, as of very soon, non homolognated lamps will be a non discretionary MOT failure.

But, if you are going to take the chance, here is some practical advice.

You need the complete HID kit, including ballasts, lamps, wiring, connectors, the lot. But only for the dip beams, don't bother with the Mains, HIDs take too long to warm up.

Get a kit designated H7R, NOT just H7. H7R lamps are for Reflector lights, H7 are for projector lights and do not produce, in reflector lights, ANY sort of cut off in the dip beam pattern. H7 HIDs are what the "tuning boys" are dazzling us with in their "race cars"!

Get the LOWEST frequency ones you can, 4K if possible.

Be aware that, even the H7R lamps, will not give the super sharp dip cut off that you get with Halogen lamps. You will need to aim them lower.

My last car was fitted with an illegal H7R HID kit dip beam and legal Osram NightBreaker main beam, and never caused other drivers any form of nuisance that I was aware of in the seven years I had it.

My present car, a W203 220CDi, is now fitted with Nightbreakers all round, so completely legal but the dip is nowhere near as good as the HID in the previous encumbent! And of course it lacks the "bling" that some like ;-), I am much too old to be bothered by that.

More generally, try the NightBreaker route first, cheaper, easier, and legal, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
So I have replaced my sidelights with ultraled wedges and my fogs with 100w leds H11 bulbs. Both of these will pass an mot and are nice and white.

I did run 35w 5k H7 hids in my dipped which didn't seem to dazzle people, but I have now removed as the legality is questionable as is wether they would pass an mot. Getting them to sit right in the bulb housing was difficult too.

Now in my dipped beam I have Osram Nightbreaker plus, and these are pretty good, much better than a standard H7 halogen, with a colour temp approaching that of oem 4.3k hids.

I'm easier in my mind though just running uprated halogens, no worries from over-zealous police or my mot next month.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have replaced my sidelights with ultraled wedges and my fogs with 100w leds H11 bulbs.
Silly question but why? Fogs are for use in foggy conditions and yellow bulbs reflect and dazzle less in fog, just as more light can be a hindrance?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Silly question but why? Fogs are for use in foggy conditions and yellow bulbs reflect and dazzle less in fog, just as more light can be a hindrance?
Rule of Cool!!!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I very rarely use fogs as fogs and I wanted them to match the sidelights when on convenience.

Given that most modern cars don't have fogs, just epically white DRLs I'm not too worried.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Weird, all 5 of our cars have fog lights....(which are only ever used in fog - the clue is in the name)

I tend to use high beams to remind people they have fog lights on and make sure they've seen me when it's not foggy just in case they have vision problems....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Do they not? Or no Merc has them as standard & no one ticks that option box? :rolleyes:
The trend in European cars is to move away from separate front foglamp and move the functionality into front combi lamp, via ILS/ DRL etc.

As of now MB do NOT offer separate front foglamp anymore for the European market. They do for the US mainly because they’re 5 years behind us styling wise.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LK I don't drive around with my fogs on all the time. They are linked to the convenience function though were they come on with the sidelights when you unlock and stay on for 30s when you lock.

I changed them to white to match the sidelights simply because I prefer the matched look....

Attachments

• fogcompares.jpg
    fogcompares.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LK I don't drive around with my fogs on all the time. They are linked to the convenience function though were they come on with the sidelights when you unlock and stay on for 30s when you lock.

I changed them to white to match the sidelights simply because I prefer the matched look....

It should be said, this is exactly why I will be changing mine over this weekend!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom