Lights wont turn off in position O

xert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e350 cdi coupe
Greetings all - just picked up my 2009 e class coupe - with light switch in position "O" dipped beam still comes on when dark, just as if I had selected Auto "A". Is this correct or not ?

Many thanks for your time.

Chris

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Hello xert and welcome.

Certainly on my E Class estate 0 (upright) equals off.

Others will be along presently however, what does the handbook say?

John

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Welcome xert :)

Is this with the engine running?

OP
X

xert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e350 cdi coupe
Thanks people ... Yep, engine running the 0 position behaves just as the auto position.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Go into the instrument cluster menu and de activate the running function, or lights constantly on

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i have seen this on a w203 where it was a front sam fault, lights were on all the time the ignition was on. a new front sam cured it.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Greetings all - just picked up my 2009 e class coupe - with light switch in position "O" dipped beam still comes on when dark, just as if I had selected Auto "A". Is this correct or not ?

Many thanks for your time.

Chris

Re-reading the first post, it could be more along Alex's suggestion. If it were just a setting for Constant On then the lights would be on as soon as the engine started, not when it gets dark?

Easy to check the cluster settings first. If it's not that then could be expensive ..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Re-reading the first post, it could be more along Alex's suggestion. If it were just a setting for Constant On then the lights would be on as soon as the engine started, not when it gets dark?

Easy to check the cluster settings first. If it's not that then could be expensive ..

Agreed but there is also the constant auto lights that will automatically come on when its dark if the is selected in the menu

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Agreed but there is also the constant auto lights that will automatically come on when its dark if the is selected in the menu

Surely that's just 'Auto',?? If selected the lights stay on constantly when it's dark! How can it be 'Constant' if it only comes on when dark?

OP
X

xert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e350 cdi coupe
Thanks for all the input - I will try changing the value of the lights function on the menu however I believed this was just the option to set the daytime running led lights ? Position "O" is funtioning exactly as posotion "A" which somehow does not seem correct. In other cars I've had - and there's been a few, off means off ! Further checks later and I'll update results here.

Best regards,

Chris

Geoff2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W220 S320
On my S Class, the light menu is manual, auto or constant. Constant is on all the time, auto turns the lights on when it gats dark nornally. However, this time of year auto will keep the lights on all day, the sensor is not as good as it should be so I tend to revert to manual in the winter. The low sun will fool the sensor and keep the lights and certainly with the cloud we have at present will turn the lights on.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
If you have the intelligent light option then this is normal. As TV said, check the settings menu in the binnacle

OP
X

xert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 e350 cdi coupe
Findings - after checking the manual, the settings for the daytime running lights do change the function of the main lights switch, When daytime running lights are disabled, the light switch functions in a logical way - O gives lights off, A selects auto and so on. When the daytime running lights option is selected from the menu, position O now functions in the same way as position A.
So there we have it - savour the wisdom of MB lighting dept whilst enjoying your Sunday roast.

Chris

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
ah yes, the manual. even i don't read them untill i have to.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
10-2.gif

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only place where I could guarantee a read was by keeping the handbook in the toilet

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom