Likes & Dislikes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hence your insistence that £1000+ a piece headlights were completely acceptable :rolleyes:
I never said they were acceptable, I said that the market has accepted that level of price...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
And when most of us love something we think is beautiful it's usually female. (Non PC, but true).;)
Also because if you disrespect anything female, she’ll f*** you up in short order!

OP
Dell

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
LostKiwi
Are you talking about cars or the significant other ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LostKiwi
Are you talking about cars or the significant other ?
Both are high maintenance and require hours of work to keep in top appearance... there’s a difference?

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
2012 W204 c350
Likes, everything, power and handling is great.
Dislikes, the front seats, strange design too cramped for me, might be a reason I sell.

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
2012 E class convertible 350cdi
Likes: Power AND economy, multi-contour seats, Comand is the best system I've used, super refined for a soft-top, roof up you would think it's a fixed roof. Looks ace with the 19's, feels special to be in.

Dislikes:
Gearbox, lately it never seemed to be in the right gear, had to drive it in manual 80% of the time, and gear changes not smooth and jerky even after ATF change.
Handling and ride...not sure if it was because it was a convertible, or just my car, but I hated both these aspects the longer I had it. Over the top pull towards the camber of the road, 3 alignments on a hunter, good figures, still did it. Soft wallowy ride that didn't particularly like going round bends quick, yet still had a poor quality ride over road imperfection, worst of both worlds. On perfect tarmac with no camber it was a dream cruiser, everywhere else it felt flawed.

Because of the above and my desire for more practicality (wanted an estate to put the dog and mountain bike in the back), it had to go. Was looking at w205 c class estate, but decided I wanted to keep with a 3.0L diesel. Somehow they can fit a 4.0L V8 in the c class, but don't seem to want to put the om642 in it.
E class estate felt too big and wouldn't offer the more involving drive i'm after, so unfortunately I crossed over to the dark side and bought a 2013 330d msport touring.
So...

Likes for the beemer:
Power and economy(similar to merc)
Traction!! (xdrive - 5.4sec to 60mph :shock: even in the wet)
Gearbox (ZF 8-speed), don't need to use manual as it always feels in the right gear, very fast shifts, mostly imperceptible.
Ride and handling is a close to perfect balance, doesn't crash over holes in the road, and doesn't roll round bends. Much more willing to turn in and eggs you to go faster in the twisties rather than telling you to slow down. With the 4wd it feels how I imagine an Evo with a big diesel engine and better refinement would feel.
Red leather interior with Harmon Kardon system.

Dislikes: Everything is an option, and buying second hand it's hard to find all the options you want. Doesn't have some things the merc had, like heated seats, xenons, bluetooth audio and a few others. Doesn't look or feel as special as the merc, but I feel happy to blend in a bit more. Seats not quite as comfy as the multi-contours in the merc but still good.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I found my 520d (with lots of toys) about as bland and interesting as a magnolia painted wall. Nothing particularly wrong with the car (other than the seats were uncomfortable) but just bland

I suppose at the time I had the smart convertible, the 911 and the Land Rover, non of which could ever be described as bland. I replaced the 520 with a E220d and that I really really liked

Last edited:

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Somehow they can fit a 4.0L V8 in the c class, but don't seem to want to put the om642 in it.
Sign of the times, dropping the V12's moving away from the 5.5 V8. Now opting for engines that can run all day with lower emissions but has the ability to produce high BHP's when you need it......maybe? Also the om642 was only a Euro 5 diesel, way tooooo dirty!! lol

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Isn't that the same for Mercedes?

I suppose it depends which model you get.
An A207/C207 "AMG line" came with heated seats, xenons, sat nav and bluetooth audio as standard

I would have thought M sport to be a comparable trim level and it didn't include any of these as standard

But then I am comparing e class spec to 3-series.

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Sign of the times, dropping the V12's moving away from the 5.5 V8. Now opting for engines that can run all day with lower emissions but has the ability to produce high BHP's when you need it......maybe? Also the om642 was only a Euro 5 diesel, way tooooo dirty!! lol

I think the later 254bhp om642 with adblue in the new e class is euro 6, and the e class came out 2 years after the w205 C did.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suppose it depends which model you get.
An A207/C207 "AMG line" came with heated seats, xenons, sat nav and bluetooth audio as standard

I would have thought M sport to be a comparable trim level and it didn't include any of these as standard

But then I am comparing e class spec to 3-series.
Wasn't BMW the worst for not giving anything away as standard at one time. a friend bought a new 328 around 1997 and had to spend an extra 8k to get everything he wanted!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the later 254bhp om642 with adblue in the new e class is euro 6, and the e class came out 2 years after the w205 C did.
Isn't that the 2 or 2.1 litre engine, I thought the 3ltr V6 was the last of it's kind for MB?
I'm running that engine at 261bhp in my 2013 W204.

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
Isn't that the 2 or 2.1 litre engine, I thought the 3ltr V6 was the last of it's kind for MB?
I think they are now phasing it out and introducing a straight 6 diesel, but you could get it in an E class in 2016 maybe 2017 as Euro 6, but not at all in the new 2014+ c class.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Wasn't BMW the worst for not giving anything away as standard at one time. a friend bought a new 328 around 1997 and had to spend an extra 8k to get everything he wanted!

When I ordered my BMW Z3 (167th order placed in the UK in July 1997, delivered August 1998) I put the basic price funds in a monetary vehicle that in the time it took for speccing the final build had increased sufficiently to fund all the extras I wanted plus a bit left over. The only extra I didn't want was the HK sound system. I did get sports seats, full leather trim, air con, CD Changer, metallic paint, heated seats, cruise control, wind deflector, headlamp washers, cuddly toy, conveyor belt, Antheas worn undies (thats bit isn't true btw).

My first MB W211 was poverty spec, the second had upgraded engine, long range fuel tank and leather seats as extras that were gratis as I brokered 3 cars on one order so the sales guy was happy.

My W221 was pretty well kitted out and was a deal with 24% discount.

My current W166 has various packs on it, but also had a big discount and dealer deposit contribution.

Perhaps MB are giving more than once they did.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I ordered my BMW Z3 (167th order placed in the UK) I put the basic price funds in a monetary vehicle that in the time it took for speccing the final build had increased sufficiently to fund all the extras I wanted plus a bit left over. The only extra I didn't want was the HK sound system. I did get sports seats, full leather trim, air con, CD Changer, metallic paint, heated seats, cruise control, wind deflector, headlamp washers, cuddly toy, conveyor belt, Antheas worn undies (thats bit isn't true btw).

My first MB W211 was poverty spec, the second had upgraded engine, long range fuel tank and leather seats as extras that were gratis as I brokered 3 cars on one order so the sales guy was happy.

My W221 was pretty well kitted out and was a deal with 24% discount.

My current W166 has various packs on it, but also had a big discount and dealer deposit contribution.

Perhaps MB are giving more than once they did.
Sounds like you've done ok with you choices. It's a shame that Antheas worn undies wasn't true, they could have increased sales 10 fold!

OP
Dell

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
Dislikes
AdBlue
Most of our coaches(90+)use AdBlue nothing but trouble with it crystlising, I am glad my car is euro 5.
Talking of euro 5 my old Mercedes was euro 5 and when It went in for MOT the examiner said no point in doing a emissions test as with a DPF nothing would show up and as I didn't believe him he did a test to prove it, and he was correct,as long as you give it a blast on open road every now and then it should be fine.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I think they are now phasing it out and introducing a straight 6 diesel, but you could get it in an E class in 2016 maybe 2017 as Euro 6, but not at all in the new 2014+ c class.

The new E53AMG is a 3.0 L straight 6 petrol!

Top Bottom