limited to 3000 revs help

G

Gillsfan

Hi

I've just changed the head gasket on my x reg 2.2 cdi vito. I've got the van started but it will only rev to 3000 rpm and has a puff of black smoke when I blip the throttle. Do vitos have a limp mode ? I'll be asking a mate who has a decent code reader to check the codes iver the weekend.

OP
G

Gillsfan

Forgot to say a have a edc and glow plug warning lights, glow plugs are new.

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabriolet 2004, R 230 SL 500 2005, new A class AMG Sport.
Dont Mercedes have a rev limiter on stationary vehicles ?

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Isnt his Vito a diesel ?

OP
G

Gillsfan

Yep mine is a 2.2 cdi. I think it's in limp mode. It starts and drives ok it just won't rev above 3000 rpm and both glow plug and edc lights stay on. Tried my mates cheapy code reader which won't read the codes, I've got a blue tooth one coming in the post which I'm hopin one of the many apps will work with. Failing that I know a guy with a snap on reader. Just wanted to ask you good folk if there is any other reason it won't rev over 3000. I've checked the map sensor conections and that is ok, I'll check the boost conections asap.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
3000rpm is a limp home mode rev limit, it is limp home mode for some reason, but you need the codes read to figure out why the ecu is in this mode.

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I thought for some reason it was only doing it when parked. I will leave you in the hands of people here who actually know what they are talking about !

markandhisw203

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi W203
Code reading Early CDI's

Hello Bud

Me again :) I just spent the last couple of hours trawling through the web about code readers and trying my wifi Elm and bluetooth elm, the wifi one connects but no codes as I mentioned, cant get the bluetooth one working with either my Win7 laptop or iphone (the iphone im told only hooks upto the latest bluetooth spec), which is a pain, anyway looking back on the web, most code readers I have now seen , state petrol from 2001 and diesel from 2004 support :( so Im thinking im a bit stuffed, dont have dealer money for star diags, so will be doing some good old fashioned rummiging around the engine bay starting with EGR valve, then Maff then looking at the inlet manifold paddle issue that is supposed to be a common culprit,

I would be greatful to know if your pals snap on sends you any codes, there's
a few local garages I know that have them,

Thanks and good luck, be interested in what you find,

Mark....

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You need to use a good 38 pin to odb adapter, some of them are wired incorrectly. The K line internally needs to go a certain pin, I will pull mine apart and double check which one it is.

OP
G

Gillsfan

Mark the snap on reader worked 2 weeks ago when my mate tried it, he called round last night while I was at work :roll:

My Vito has a OBD2 style connection, the snap on kit listed either 1 of 2 connectors the older round type and the OBD2 type. I think that the connection changed the same time as the older diesel engine was replaced with the cdi engine.

OP
G

Gillsfan

Mark

Just thought I'd let you know my mate popped round this evening with his snap on kit. It did read the codes but it didn't if he switched it to ebd2 mode, the snap on kit so I'm told will use the most up to date software to read the codes.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

Gillsfan

Ok I found that connection to the fuel shut off v/v loose. I was getting a p1622 code, connevtion now on and cide cleared I think. I used the bluetooth link thingy I've got it won't read the codes but serms to clear them. Anyway the EDC light cleared snd hasn't come back but I'm still limited to 3000 revs what else should I check ?

Top Bottom