Lingutronic NTG 2.5 - It's there, but how do you get it to do anything?

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
I've just retrofitted a NTG2.5 Comand to my 2004 E220 (used to have the Audio 20 CD) - I'll post another thread with my experiences later as I'm still fine tuning, hence this posting...

I bought a 2008 model Comand that has Lingutronic, and I've been through the 2 stage 'learning phase' which it said was successful completed and saved, but how do you get it to do anything??

On other cars with similar technology, they'll say 'listening' so you know when to talk into it, but there's no buttons or icons I can see, nor will it do anything if I simply try a simple one word PHONE or CD...

My Samsung phone (about 3 years old) bluetooths perfectly as far as making and receiving calls is concerned via the Comand (I bought the seperate microphone for the Comand) - but I'm led to beleive I can speak a number into it to dial...

Any help considered, and no, I don't have a manual...

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
ha do you have the stalk that you press??did nav work?? or did you have to move wires to different pins?probley need coding on star machine

OP
P

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
Lingutronic - how do you get it to work

Ah, that may be the missing link, no I don't have any 'stalk' to press, only what's on the front of the Comand.

The company I bought the additional cables from had a comprehensive list of cables to 'allow you to do this and that' - i.e. bluetooth aerial, FM/AM splitter, microphone (already had GPS aerial and the 'quadlock' converter cable from other suppliers). I'll pop them an email about the missing 'stalk'. If this stalk is a major stumbling block, I'm not too bothered as everying else works, see below.

Everything else works on the Comand - Sat Nav, Radio (but see other posting), Phone (but see other posting), DVD video playback (impressive, but useless!!)

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
best contacting http://www.braybrooks.co.uk/ they retrofit them alll time.i think need it on star and stalk.dvd is good but need to adjust coding so it shows while driving or fit rear view camera

rpalmeida

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mercupgrades.com
You need
a) new steering column jacket (6 colours, 2 types i.e. +/- electric steering column switch)
b) new switch pack (the one with the cruise control lever)
c) lever
d) trim piece
And a willingness to remove the steering wheel, steering column electronics, dis-assemble and re-assemble which is fiddly and easy to break stuff.

The parts are the same on the W211-E/CLS/SLK

www.comandeurope.com are also good & have done lots and keep all the different colour steering column jackets in stock

You may need Star to reset the airbag light, but making the linguatronic switch work does not.

Richard

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes as above , you must have the stalk,,, she does not get the comands right very often anyway.

Did you disregard the old antenna lead and route the new one from the audio gateway

OP
P

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
Voice control

Sounds like I'll be living without the Lingutronic facility, which is not great loss as everything else basically works - I'll post a summary of my experience in about a week to give others a chance to comment, in case there's an aftermarket 'switch/stalk' that can be used.

Re Aerial lead routing question. Simply plugged the old lead into one end of an adaptor lead, with the other end of this new lead having 2 heads, whcih plug straight into the back of the new Comand (AM and FM sockets I beleive). My new unit has everything integrated, no other modules hiding in my car. It had a single CD Audio 20 unit before the retrofit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like I'll be living without the Lingutronic facility, which is not great loss as everything else basically works - I'll post a summary of my experience in about a week to give others a chance to comment, in case there's an aftermarket 'switch/stalk' that can be used.

Re Aerial lead routing question. Simply plugged the old lead into one end of an adaptor lead, with the other end of this new lead having 2 heads, whcih plug straight into the back of the new Comand (AM and FM sockets I beleive). My new unit has everything integrated, no other modules hiding in my car. It had a single CD Audio 20 unit before the retrofit.

I will print of the retro fit for you and post back in a few mins

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can I have your Emaill address please

OP
P

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have it not sure if it will answer all
See what you make of it

Remove you address in edit

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
The new NTG 2.5 Comand systems have a very good linguatronic system, much improved over the earlier comand 2 systems.

If you can, I would go for it as Richard says you only need a few parts and it really does finish the job off well. I have it on my A class and it really does make navigation entry totally hands free.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The new NTG 2.5 Comand systems have a very good linguatronic system, much improved over the earlier comand 2 systems.

If you can, I would go for it as Richard says you only need a few parts and it really does finish the job off well. I have it on my A class and it really does make navigation entry totally hands free.

I know that linguatronic in an open car is not good,,is it better on the new ones in that she gets it right more often.

I went out in a new fiesta last week with it and it never got one thing right

jalomusic

Reaction score
B class linguatronic lever for ntg 2.5

Hello, do you know the parts that I need to retrofit the linguatronic lever for my B 200 CDI?
Have tempomat and comand ntg 2.5.
Thank you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello, do you know the parts that I need to retrofit the linguatronic lever for my B 200 CDI?
Have tempomat and comand ntg 2.5.
Thank you

I know that the newer versions are better,,but is it worth it when you can just touch a button, and get it right the first time,,rather than arguing with her or calling her names

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I know that the newer versions are better,,but is it worth it when you can just touch a button, and get it right the first time,,rather than arguing with her or calling her names

I know my Linguatronic is very understanding! She gets it correct 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1% it's operator error...

The huge advantage of Linguatronic is one doesn't have to take one's hand from the wheel, one doesn't have look away from the road at all. Entering a Sat Nav address by button pressing would be very illegal, akin to texting!

Seems a shame not to use it just for the want of a stalk or a little practice :)

jalomusic

Reaction score
???

Hello again. Mi B 200 is from 2005. I can connect te AGW to the comand ntg 2.5 with the star diag. Do you know where is the problem?
Tks

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Comand NTG 2.5 has a built in AGW, you do not neeed to connect up a separate one.

To code an NTG 2.5 comand in a pre my09 car you will need an up to date STAR system. I advise applying the latest telematics update to the unit aswell. This gives you the 'Economical' route mode and the ability to load up the new V3 maps.

The new linguatronic system is leaps and bounds better than the earlier versions. For instance you no longer need to spell the name of the town/street you can simply say 'Woking'. to retrofit the linguatronic all you need is the new indicator switch pack, linguatronic lever and a new cowl. Be very very careful when removing the steering wheel. It is very easy to mess up the installation to the point it costs money lots to put right.

pepi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 270CDI
Language change at LINGUATRONIC on W203

Hi I am new member of this forum and will ask if anyone knows how to change the language on LINGUATRONIC from italian to english on W203 270 cdi 2003 avangarde.Is it possible to do it manually by buttons or it can be done by MB star diagnose?
Thank in advance.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hi I am new member of this forum and will ask if anyone knows how to change the language on LINGUATRONIC from italian to english on W203 270 cdi 2003 avangarde.Is it possible to do it manually by buttons or it can be done by MB star diagnose?
Thank in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

I am afraid you will need a new linguatronic controller. The swap is fairly easy.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom