1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium grease v silicon grease

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by d215yq, May 8, 2019.

1. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 250k
    Hi all, bought some lithium grease to oil windows doors locks wipers aerial etc. I heard its the best and was expensive.

Although it worked great at first, everything now is not so smooth just a month in. Touching the overspray it seems to have congealed to a thick paste. Never had this problem with silicone.

So have i misread that lithium grease is a suitable alternative. I think ill just get silicone anyway and redo as its not worth a broken wiper mechanism but interested to know what lithium grease should and shouldnt be used for?

2. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    Lithium grease is best for any metal/metal contact items for instance metal sunroof runners, metal to rubber you can use the silicone or gummi pfledge, total rubber the gummi
    Did you use the lithium in white spray form?

3. OP
    d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 250k
    Yes, I used the same white spray from a can, just like the silicon spray. The Lithium doesn't seem to go clear like the silicon does after time. I'm not bothered about that just annoyed that for instance the electric aerial now is worse than before it was sprayed, so to check I touched some white overspray and it seems sticky, not greasy. Not taken one apart but I believe a telescopic aerial is metal on metal so should run better? Same story with windows, though as they are glass on rubber liners I see Lithium may not be the correct substance here so fair enough.

4. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
    I found same problem with the lithium and found it almost set and became almost a rough finish after a short time , I now use the spray for treadmills rubber to metal not too messy and lubricates well , can’t remember the exact name of one I have in shed but got it in Halfords

d215yq likes this.
  5. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    I use GT85 for most things to be honest, the lithium just for heavy metal to metal where you don’t see it as it does go thick and messy as you’ve seen...

d215yq likes this.
  6. Auto Addict

Auto Addict Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
    I always get the cannister warm if I'm going to spray with lithium grease.