London pollution charge

Denis O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
My SL 350 is exempt which is fair enough.

But, so is SWMBO's 4.2 RR. So a gas guzzling V8 s/c engine is good for the environment.

Not complaining but seems daft to me.

I'll never drive into London as long as I live so all this ULEZ is completely academic to me anyway.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Removing pollution is a noble endeavour which as always is done with some blunt instruments.

We are it seems on the cusp of an electric revolution which in practical terms is a nightmare to implement.

Charging point issues are huge but waiting in the wings is a supply and demand problem, electricity prices are on an upward curve.

Then there is a revenue issue all that vehicle taxation will have to be raised somehow

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I agree we should remove pollution BUT I think we have the technology to do this without smashing motorists over the head , large scale cat convertors on top of certain builders , recycling the air for instance

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I agree we should remove pollution BUT I think we have the technology to do this without smashing motorists over the head , large scale cat convertors on top of certain builders , recycling the air for instance

The obvious place to start is with the vehicles that emit the pollution and the obvious people to pay for it are the owners of those vehicles. Waiting until the crap is in the air, then trying to process it out, is simply bonkers IMHO.

OP
bembo449

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
but its impossible to end pollution in major cities and daft to think otherwise ! simply blaming motorists for it all is a cop-out

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
but its impossible to end pollution in major cities and daft to think otherwise ! simply blaming motorists for it all is a cop-out

No one even mentions ending pollution, but it can be reduced. Planes, trains and automobiles are all emitters in plain sight. It seems entirely understandable to start there. I love my car and often drive for pleasure, but I expect to pay for the privilege.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
My SL 350 is exempt which is fair enough.

But, so is SWMBO's 4.2 RR. So a gas guzzling V8 s/c engine is good for the environment.

For a moment there, I thought RR stood for Rolls Royce and a pang of jealousy went through me :)

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I haven't yet heard of Gov't's creating a long term strategy to reduce population, not by culling btw.
Even China gave up on the one child per couple legislation.

But most of the worlds issues are due to over population.
Less people means less pollution overall, not just from cars.
Then less plastic in the sea or sent to Malaysia to poison villagers while the stuff is incinerated overnight (to diguise the operation).
It goes on, on, and on.

If Gov't's stopped priotitising tax revenues, as every person is one, over all else they might attempt to encourage lower birth rates. A lower planet population and many of the issues would start to be self addressed.

Apart from cows farting and volcanoes being inconsiderate of course.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Woodburning stoves are bad.

I like bonfires best , most are lit in steaming hot weather when you have every available window open to breathe the stink !

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Many woodburner owners burn wood from old window frames and pallets putting who knows what into the sky.

There is an anti-fracking eco hypocrite who lives near a friend of mine burning old wood and stinking his neighbours out and depending on the wind coating their washing with soot.

Oh and I nearly forgot to mention his homebrew diesel.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
The last report I saw boy central London diesel car produced 5% of the pollution, gas heating produced 70%.
The donkey engines on refrigeration trucks are unregulated & run on red diesel.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Every single gas boiler flue pumps out NOx !

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
My SL500 and Audi S5 are both exempt from the ULEZ charge.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The obvious place to start is with the vehicles that emit the pollution and the obvious people to pay for it are the owners of those vehicles. Waiting until the crap is in the air, then trying to process it out, is simply bonkers IMHO.

The biggest polluters are ships, from cruise liners to container ships across the world. Just try getting their owners to pay anything.
A ship that leaves Asia & travels to Europe, then the US, through the Panama Canal & back to Asia over 6 months in international waters. Who is going to get them to pay anything and under who's jurisdiction? If we ignore power stations, then domestic central heating is next, but wait, motorists, we can make them pay, it's easy, problem solved!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
But most of the worlds issues are due to over population.

Gengis Khan must have been a visionary, depending on who's history you read, around 1200AD he's responsible for the killing of up to 40 million people! What would it be like today if that never happened?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Removing pollution is a noble endeavour which as always is done with some blunt instruments.

We are it seems on the cusp of an electric revolution which in practical terms is a nightmare to implement.

Charging point issues are huge but waiting in the wings is a supply and demand problem, electricity prices are on an upward curve.

and nobody is talking about the pollution generated to make the batteries and the electricity to charge them.

Reactions: M80

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
15 year exemption for taxi vehicles, what about one rule for all. Why should they be allowed when much cleaner vehicles are banned.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom