London to Moscow W163 ML430

Gillibrand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML350
I am planning to drive from London to Moscow in summer, mainly using motorways / fast roads, through France - Belgium - Germany - Poland - Belarus - Russia. What sort of spares / service items should I take as a precaution (apart from spare bulbs). Any general travel advice also welcome, especially from anyone who's done similar journey. Many thanks.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Spare plug leads, ignition coils, spark plugs, fuses, crank position sensor, MAF, wipers, pilot bush, trans oil, engine oil, brake pads, ignition switch, brake pedal switch.

And possibly much more.

jib

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
A dashcam, lots of memory cards and a vast sum of money for fuel!

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Russia

Hi I have been as far as Smorgone Belarus in 1988, took me 3days, but the roads were not so good from east Germany in those days. Just took bulbs with me. Would love to do it again. Our first night was W. Germany, 2nd night Poznan Poland, 3rd Vilna in Winter. Do let us know about your journey. Hope this helps

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
That is going to be one expensive trip !

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I thing it will cost £650 for fuel. Lizzy and I were lucky the Company paid all epensives. Hope this helps

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
What car did you do it in ?

AndyRTH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350 AMG 2004
Ok
I would get your visa application sorted as early as possible. Get a prepaid debit card with a standing order set up from your own bank. This way if your card gets cloned you only loose what you have put on it.
When you check in at your hotel ask for your hotel registration document to be given to you when your passport is returned, they will argue that you don't get it till you leave but there is a big clamp down on immigrants at the moment so you will need to carry it with your passport at all times ( no copies). Remember Russian perception of 5 Star hotels are not the same as we in Britain,The Radissons I stayed in at Moscow had brown water from the hot tap and grey water from the cold. There is a real big issue with the perception of migrants and crime at the moment. It was a key political issue in the recent Moscow elections. With 40% supporting the Keep Russia for the Russians campaign. I would suggest reading the Moscow Times (its in English and is on line).
Learn some Russian words, and accept that you will be observed.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Well looks like things have not changed much, We drove as far as Belarus in a VW passat diesel Went onto Moscow by train for a brief visit, curtains closed all the time ,as said water was not clear but never had any tummy up set. Enjoyed the food in all the countries. Make sure you fill up with fuel in Poland, our favourite place, poles are lovelly people ,spent seven years back and fourth there. Do make sure you have Visas for Belarus and russia, also car insurance and v5 is a must or they will not let you through . Hope this helps

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Spare plug leads, ignition coils, spark plugs, fuses, crank position sensor, MAF, wipers, pilot bush, trans oil, engine oil, brake pads, ignition switch, brake pedal switch.

And possibly much more.

jib

Man - come on! I did a trip from Poland to Gibraltar and back in a W210 320CDI, 10.000KM+, only thing that failed was one injector and that was probably a pre-existing condition. London Moscow is not even a third of that (2900KM) so really tbh I think you dont need to take anything aside of doing a service before you leave.

Also I would advise to take the Lithuania/Latvia Route instead of driving through Belarus, save yourself one visa nightmare and enjoy better roads and visit more countries. Only point of caution - in Lithuania the cops apparently are merciless and everywhere, so don't speed. (Not that Belarus cops would show more mercy to a western car...)

Last edited:
OP
Gillibrand

Gillibrand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML350
London - Moscow: Thanks for advice

Thank you to all who responded, I will be doing plenty of research before setting off and helpful to get all advice. I realise this will be an expensive trip, but fuel costs in Russia are a lot lower than UK (70p per litre I think, http://www.mytravelcost.com/Russia/gas-prices/ ).

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Its only 1800 miles for Gods sake! I do that in two average weeks!

Is your car that unreliable?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I drove to Mongolia in a Daihatsu Terios and it never broke down save 4 punctures.

The further east you go the more the Police will prey on you, fein ignorance. Make sure your paperwork it perfect, the Russian Border Guards are meticulous and love to "Stamp, Stamp".

Top Bottom