Looking into purchasing a Mercedes.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Welcome. As a retired police driver I drove some great cars the Senator 24V being one.
Now having to pay for my fun its a E350CDI for me, but I still have the bike.
Good luck with your search, there is some great advice on here.

I too had a Senator 24v some years ago, what a greatly under estimated car that was :D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
CLS55 all day long, beautiful cars

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
OP
M113K

M113K

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Omega 3.2 V6
I too had a Senator 24v some years ago, what a greatly under estimated car that was :D

They where an underrated car especially the Senator with the 3.0 straight 6 24v engine. That’s to be expected with badge snobbery unfortunately. It was far better than any other mainstream brand from the likes of Rover, Ford, Peugeot etc.. at the time. IMO.

The CD spec Senator B also featured a Electronic adjustable suspension, "ERC" which was quite something back then in the late 1980s early 1990s especially from a mainstream brand like Vauxhall compared to say Ford/Fiat/Peugeot etc... I know very little about Citroen but I do believe they had something similar to air suspension around the same period (not 100% sure)...?

If a tidy one came up for sale I could be tempted but they make silly money now in good condition which is to be expected. But overall the Omega 3.2 V6 Elite has been a joy even with over 200k miles. But they are very thirsty for the amount of performance they produce. By no means slow but I average around 19mpg and that’s not driving like miss daisy but not constantly hammering it either. The Senator was slightly worse on fuel for similar performance but they both have unique characteristics. The Senator felt more special overall I’d say. Out of all the cars I’ve been to see recently it makes me appreciate how good these cars are/where and the only car that’s matched / surpassed is the Mercedes E / CLS as an overall package.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was behind a new Vauxhall Grand something SUV today, not sure why but the late Vauxhall’s have an aire of failure about them. (Just get a feeling that the owner never quite made it to where they thought they’d be in life and so they have a Vauxhall). I don’t suppose the marketing people planned it that way but that’s the buyers they have...

I really liked the 80’s Cavalier SRi and CDX and Carlton’s / Royals as well as the 90’s Omegas. To me they lost the plot when they went to the (under arm deodorant) Insignia (if you remember the advert...)
And what on earth is a Mokka? Ffs

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Blobcat I remember my mums friend had a Royale Coupe in a nice maroon type colour. Must've been around 1981 ish, a very nice car as I recall at about age 8 and I don't think I've ever seen one since. Purple velour seats too! Very swish!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I was behind a new Vauxhall Grand something SUV today, not sure why but the late Vauxhall’s have an aire of failure about them. (Just get a feeling that the owner never quite made it to where they thought they’d be in life and so they have a Vauxhall). I don’t suppose the marketing people planned it that way but that’s the buyers they have...

I really liked the 80’s Cavalier SRi and CDX and Carlton’s / Royals as well as the 90’s Omegas. To me they lost the plot when they went to the (under arm deodorant) Insignia (if you remember the advert...)
And what on earth is a Mokka? Ffs
Last decent Vauxhall I think was the Calibra - I had one in 1990 and it was a really good looking car. Underpinnings were cavalier unfortunately so that wasn’t exactly dynamic.
Had a Frontera after that which was a VX badged Isuzu - quite capable actually ...never considered one after, as you say plot lost big time, maybe Citroen will knock some sense into them?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Last decent Vauxhall I think was the Calibra - I had one in 1990 and it was a really good looking car. Underpinnings were cavalier unfortunately so that wasn’t exactly dynamic.
Had a Frontera after that which was a VX badged Isuzu - quite capable actually ...never considered one after, as you say plot lost big time, maybe Citroen will knock some sense into them?

Only issue with the Calippo (think that's how you speel it :D) was the handbrake cable tearing the metal away from the bracket. Was quite good in V6 format (much preferred the Russell Brooks Opel Manta though...

You didn't actually pay for the Frontera did you? :confused: - agreed though like the Lada Niva, competent off road but you wouldn't exactly want to drive (or be seen) in one...

You'll get me onto the UMM Alter next (man that was bad...)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Only issue with the Calippo (think that's how you speel it :D) was the handbrake cable tearing the metal away from the bracket. Was quite good in V6 format (much preferred the Russell Brooks Opel Manta though...

You didn't actually pay for the Frontera did you? :confused: - agreed though like the Lada Niva, competent off road but you wouldn't exactly want to drive (or be seen) in one...

You'll get me onto the UMM Alter next (man that was bad...)
Nah, Frontera was a company motor, had roof rails, side steps, Roo bars and rear light cages put on...
irritatingly you couldn’t go in and out of 4wd on the fly and it would destroy itself running 4 wd on dry tarmac

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom