Loose Injector

W

whiskers

Loose Injector
I have a e320 cdi 2005. Sent in for service and been told that one of the injectors had come loose and carboned up the surrounding area. How can this happen? Should the injectors have been examined at the last service (mileage now 109,000)?

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Its pretty unusual for the injectors to come loose unless work has been carried out previously to them and the bolt wasn't re torqued correctly. Much more common is that the copper seals fail on the bottom of the injectors which leads to loss of compression gases and ultimately 'black death'. This is the black carbon. The seals should be replaced followed by a thorough clean up, recut the seat on the cylinder head and torqued with a new bolt.

OP
W

whiskers

Many thanks for your reply. I was just wondering if this is something that should have been picked up in the last service.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
When was the last service? Guys who are familiar with the mb cdi's will usually hear the chuffing as soon as the engine is running. It's hard to say wether it should have been picked up last service

OP
W

whiskers

Last service May 11. I put it in for service 2500 miles early as the brake light warning came on. Shortly after the last service I noticed it slightly lumpy just after starting. It didn't seem to get a lot worse between then and now.

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Did you notice a tar-like fume smell when stationary in traffic? That's a key symptom to "watch" out for. If you catch the "black death" leaking seal quickly, it's an easy fix. Leave it too long, and your engine can disappear under gunge.

OP
W

whiskers

No warning other than running a bit lumpy when cold.

dodgytrainers

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 108/2000/2.2 cdi
When my injector started leaking no warning light either surest way to tell (from experience ) is a black tar like substance a slight chuffing noise and a slight smell of fumes inside im a newbie in here but i can say the others a right when they say if its caught early its a much easier job (caught mine late :( :( )

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom