Losing your car for a good deed

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I saw this earlier on the BBC's website. A lesson we should all learn then, is never be a good Samaritan and let anyone shelter inside your car.

On another forum I posted this link on, a serving copper had this to say :lol::lol: :- I went to a 2 car RTC, Corsa versus Accord. Fairly minor bump but the Corsa came off worse, the driver of it, got out and ran down the road to her boyfriends house to summon him. The pair returned moments later in his Subaru Imprezza. She then stated she had neck / back pain so an ambulance was summoned, who after examining her stated she would have to be 'extracted' from the vehicle Only when the fire bobbies got there and it was explained to boyfriend what was about to happen, he spoke to her (well shouted using a few expletives) and she got out

Obviously a miracle happened that day! :lol::lol:

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
the lesson is, buy an SL. then the roof wont have to be cut off.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
But who pays ?
We all do, that's how insurance works. From what the article claims has happened in similar cases the good samaritan will likely pay most come renewal time. AIUI the emergency services 'self insure' through a bond but either way if they paid the bill (they'll actually be invoicing for their attendance i believe) they're funded by taxpayers

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
To be fair, people cannot always be sure of what is wrong with them.
Since our tv's are awash with reality rescue and 'heroes' saving people. People are accustomed to that sort of reaction. Who wants to take a chance on becoming a cripple?
That said if someone has got out themselves of a wreck and wonders around to sit in someone else's car, then they're hardly likely to be that injured so severely they cant move again. With many 'real' injuries people would not move in the first place because they could not.
And what surprises is that people are in a much more natural and comfortable position when seated, yet once they are 'cut out' they're then made to lie flat with legs straight just to be put on a stretcher. Putting far greater stress and movement on a possibly damages spine than there was.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think the world is going a bit crazy and over reacting, the next one I see I will leave them sitting in the middle of the road

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
i can see the point of it being an overreaction to the litigation mentality of us, but its a case of "we've made our bed" sort of thing really. I don't agree with it, and when i was involved in an extremely minor accident a year ago [nudged someone in traffic] i had the ambulance chasers call me up trying to get on the insurance cash cow with compensation etc...

its an absolute joke, and while whiplash is a very real thing, i don't get the legality around it, it seems that companies are able to exploit each other at the expense of joe public....

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
To be fair, people cannot always be sure of what is wrong with them.
Since our tv's are awash with reality rescue and 'heroes' saving people. People are accustomed to that sort of reaction. Who wants to take a chance on becoming a cripple?
That said if someone has got out themselves of a wreck and wonders around to sit in someone else's car, then they're hardly likely to be that injured so severely they cant move again. With many 'real' injuries people would not move in the first place because they could not.
And what surprises is that people are in a much more natural and comfortable position when seated, yet once they are 'cut out' they're then made to lie flat with legs straight just to be put on a stretcher. Putting far greater stress and movement on a possibly damages spine than there was.

Well I got out of a car after an accident walked around and sat on a wall feeling odd.
By that night I was in a spinal unit with no sensation from the chest down weeks later I started on Physio to get walking again.
A friend fell off his boat in dry dock climbed back on went to sleep many pain killers.
Woke up feeling rough called for help climbed down from boat,6 yes 6 fractures of his spine.
Years later another accident for me, same thing, got out walked about, over the following months and years, too many severe problems too list, years later I am still a long long way from right.
Oh and despite it not being my fault in any way a massive financial loss.

You are made to lie down to put the spine in its safest position in case of damage, sitting up is potentially very dangerous.

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
i dont know what she was going on about anyway, it was only a vectra. its not like she would have not lost a fortune when she came to sell it...?

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Well I got out of a car after an accident walked around and sat on a wall feeling odd.
By that night I was in a spinal unit with no sensation from the chest down weeks later I started on Physio to get walking again.
A friend fell off his boat in dry dock climbed back on went to sleep many pain killers.
Woke up feeling rough called for help climbed down from boat,6 yes 6 fractures of his spine.
Years later another accident for me, same thing, got out walked about, over the following months and years, too many severe problems too list, years later I am still a long long way from right.
Oh and despite it not being my fault in any way a massive financial loss.

You are made to lie down to put the spine in its safest position in case of damage, sitting up is potentially very dangerous.

Thanks for the info. I quite understand ignoring any symptoms and pain after an injury could be damaging. But after any injury the last thing you would expect is to put strain on any joints. I know from personal back injury I could not move. And instead lay motionless in a field for a good couple of hours until I could. While I knew it wasnt 'serious' it ****** well hurt enough that I couldn't. But Im sure following an accident people may not be aware they are injured because there is little or no pain. And if that's the case your unlikely to move in such a way to cause any or make things worse. But moving a person who is injured and in pain just to straighten their legs to ensure a person is immobilised seems a bit daft. Understandable when they have to squeeze in the back of a helicopter perhaps. As animals, humans are in a more natural body position when legs (hips are at 90' degrees to the back)
I know from myself and others as well as talk to experts that we were all designed to be walking on all fours - not standing up straight.
And if you ever suffer back pain, a few minutes on your hands and knees brings instant relief. But of course not much use I guess if your a bag of broken pieces anyway :rolleyes:
Glad your OK though :D

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
In the very serious injuries often no pain at all is felt as nerves are impinged or severed and yes you can often get up.
The saying goes attend to the quiet ones first.

harrisis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 C-coupe 220Cdi
I flipped on old ex-army Landrover FC onto its roof about 10 years ago. Looked very impressive I was told. Especially as I did it longways, and not sideways :)

I was out of that crate like a rabbit when I realised the noise wasnt rain but petrol coughing out of the engine right next to me. (Square cab, engine is right next to you, not up front under a bonnet.)

Took a few steps, sat down, did the comedy 'all my bits still attached?' routine. Then legged it down the road away from the river of petrol and 100litre LPG tank.

Only when I asked someone if the blood on the my boots was mine did I feel a bit funny.

But.. I digress.. I was collared and spinal boarded on the way to the hospital. DONT MOVE! was the word. I was x-rayed, proded and probed in unplesant ways. Repeated told DONT MOVE!

I was out 2 hours later. Just a bruise where the static shoulder strap took the brunt, and a staple in my head.

I'd have been mortified if one of the good samaritans who helped had to have their car cut up because the paramedics were being paranoid.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would feel obliged to cough up if a car had to be cut to get me out.
Saying that if I were a Paramedic and pulled somebody out and in the process paralysed them I would feel terribly guilty.
Probably a risk ratio of 1 in 50 but who would take it ?

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I'm sure sufficient media 'heat' in the direction of the insurance company might (eventually) persuade them to do the honourable thing.

Well, you never know... :neutral:

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
would adrenaline+nerve damage be responsible for the "feeling OK" after an injury like that then?

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Tell you what, not a bad ruse for an insurance job when you think about it . :rolleyes:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
^ Except for all those witnesses, of course...

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
^ which would just add pressure on the insurers.
Get a mate to have a prang, get out wander round and then sit in your old heavily insured clapped out rusty MB. Fire crew cut the roof of your 'pride & joy" to save the health of the poor victim who just happen to rest in your car - just before getting a twinge down his or her back.
Then you have all the witnesses to convince the insurers the fire crews had no option but to wreck the car and cut the roof off. ;)
New for old, and drive off in the direction of the nearest sunset in you new shiny MB . :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom