Lost voice announcements

rodiusd

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180
Hi all,

Have a B180 with BeckerMap GPS.
Must have done something wrong, but i have lost the voice announcement for directions.
On the bottom of the screen i got now an icon representing a speaker with a red cross.
Manual states that i should select the language and then select the voice.
When doing so i dont get the voice selection.
Anyone solved this problem already and how?

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
you are normally only able to adjust the voice volume as it is "speaking". seems yours is on mute. Are you able to initiate guidance? if so, try waiting until you know it would be speaking (the radio should mute at that point) & turn up the volume.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
On mine there is a button with an ear symbol. Pressing that forces a repeat of the last announcement.

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
As dmrw says, you've probably turned the volume down to 0, so you just need to turn it back up. You can only do this whilst an instruction is actually being spoken, as otherwise you're only adjusting the volume of your stereo.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Which is why I mentioned the repeat announcement button. Press it and adjust the volume.

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which is why I mentioned the repeat announcement button. Press it and adjust the volume.

Where is that button? Or is the OP's 'BeckerMap GPS' different from my 'Becker Map Pilot' somehow?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that, yes it does look identical to mine at least (hopefully also the OP's).

p.44 of the manual says:

Mute announcement

You can mute the navigation system announcements. In the map toolbox, select the [loudspeaker] icon.

The navigation system announcements have now been muted. In the lower area of the map display, the corresponding icon is displayed, indicating that announcements have been muted.

In the map toolbox, select the [loudspeaker] icon to unmute the announcements

(At least on my system the way you access the 'map toolbox' is by pressing the central control wheel, although I'm not sure how that happens on a B-class.)

By way of comparison, in my £80 TomTom all this happens straight off the touch-screen very easily. Then again, it is by far the better system, and at fraction of the cost...

Peter Hill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bright red 2012 B Class B200 SE (W246) Diesel with quite a lot of the extras.
We have had exactly that problem --- only problem is 't other half found the right button, twice, but I can't remember what it was and she is at work...

P.

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I checked my system just now. When I access the 'map toolbox' (in my case by pressing the central console control wheel), a menu pops up where next to the 'repeat' command there is the 'mute' command. So turns out it's relatively easy, in the end.

Actually, I'm grateful for this thread, as I hadn't spotted that earlier (we'll, in fairness I've only had the car for a year and a bit...). I often use the satnav even on familiar routes, because it shows the ETA as well as flagging up any traffic problems ahead, but I don't need to listen to the spoken instructions at every mini roundabout. So far I've just muted the instructions with the steering wheel's mute button, but that button only mutes that individual announcement, whereas this way I can mute them for the whole trip.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
If you press and hold the mute during an announcement I think that mutes for the rest of that navigation trip - or it might mute it until you unmute I'm not sure....

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you press and hold the mute during an announcement I think that mutes for the rest of that navigation trip

I think that would have made a lot of sense, but alas, doesn't work (not with my car at least)...

Top Bottom