Loud ticking / tapping noise once engine is turned off

Micky P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2012 1.6
Hoping someone can help with the following issue I’ve noticed with a used automatic C Class coupe 2012 I’ve recently purchased. The car makes a loud ticking / tapping noise once it’s parked after having been driven and the engine is turned off. It goes on for 10+ minutes - I haven’t waited to time exactly how long it goes on for before it stops, I only know it lasts for a minimum of 10 minutes as was stood by it waiting for my daughter to come out of nursery the other day! Seems to happen regardless of how long I’ve been driving (nursery is only 8 minutes from the house!). Noise seems to come from the rear. Will obviously be taking it to a garage, but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue and what you were told it could be/was?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
A pump trying to lock your car. Which side do you notice it, drivers or opposite ??

OP
M

Micky P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2012 1.6
A pump trying to lock your car. Which side do you notice it, drivers or opposite ??

Sounds like it’s at the rear passenger side by the exhaust

OP
M

Micky P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2012 1.6
It will be the exhaust cooling down in the cold weather.......... get it checked but I very much doubt they will find anything wrong with the car.

Thanks. It just seems strange that it makes such a loud noise for such a long period after minimal amount of driving?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Next time you are back after a drive, quickly get out, open the trunk and check if the noise gets louder on the passenger side. If it is there, then its not the locking pump. If the noise is not there, then close the trunk and lock the car. If the noise starts, then it is the central locking pump.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hoping someone can help with the following issue I’ve noticed with a used automatic C Class coupe 2012 I’ve recently purchased. The car makes a loud ticking / tapping noise once it’s parked after having been driven and the engine is turned off. It goes on for 10+ minutes - I haven’t waited to time exactly how long it goes on for before it stops, I only know it lasts for a minimum of 10 minutes as was stood by it waiting for my daughter to come out of nursery the other day! Seems to happen regardless of how long I’ve been driving (nursery is only 8 minutes from the house!). Noise seems to come from the rear. Will obviously be taking it to a garage, but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue and what you were told it could be/was?

Fuel pump often mounted rear d/s ??

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Wondered where the missis had been...
What is pinking??

Pinking is a ticking sound . When a hot exhaust begins to cool down. If it was the central locking pump , you could replicate that sound without driving or even starting the car.

OP
M

Micky P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2012 1.6
Update - garage have said it’s the “baffles” coming from inside the exhaust system. Apparently the part needs to come from Germany is around £700!!

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update - garage have said it’s the “baffles” coming from inside the exhaust system. Apparently the part needs to come from Germany is around £700!!

It will be if its from mercedes . Pretty sure the likes of kwik fit will supply for alot less.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think you might mean pinging. Pinking is another term for pre ignition especially with a petrol engine.

No I mean pinking. To me a ping is the sound a submarine makes looking for u boats. OK .

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have had it on occasions on my 212 E350CDI, normally after a long run. I just assumed it was something like the exhaust cooling down, its been there for nearly 9 years. I have just lived with it.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Would car breakers be an option as well ??

OP
M

Micky P

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class 2012 1.6
I have had it on occasions on my 212 E350CDI, normally after a long run. I just assumed it was something like the exhaust cooling down, its been there for nearly 9 years. I have just lived with it.

i think I might join you, don’t fancy spending around £900. Garage did say it isn’t anything serious, just annoying for the noise that it makes

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
The only time I've heard mine ticking the way you describe, is when the DPF is going thru a regen and I've parked up and turned engine off.
The regen causes a huge rise in exhaust temperature and the ticking is it cooling down

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom