Loud ticking under partial load. w210 320 cdi inc VIDEO

w210forever

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Cdi 2001
Hi folks.

I've been lurking on this forum many times and now I find myself needing a bit of help. I love Mercedes and especially the w210 of which I own two. A 2000 and a 2001.

My problem is with my 2001 E320 Cdi.

I noticed today that it seems to have this ticking sound, I have never noticed it before, but it's quite loud. Under partial load of say about 10 to 50% power, it makes the loud sound you here in the video. Bear in mind I can only do this in drive with my foot on the break and accelerator at the same time to demonstrate. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag2wtofczljn8w1/2015-04-09 17.10.19.mp4?dl=0

I cannot see with a water test any bubbles / chuffing from the injectors or glow plugs.

The sound seems louder by the Turbo area. It also has the metal inlet manifold, I'm not sure if that has those flaps that wear out.

I appreciate this is not a lot to go on but, if anyone has any thoughts that may point me in the right direction, I would love to hear them.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Not everyone uses Dropbox.

OP
W

w210forever

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Cdi 2001
Hey, you don't need drop box to watch the video. Just click off the thing that ask you to sign in. :)

OP
W

w210forever

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Cdi 2001
My 320 cdi does have those flappy flaps in the intake by the looks of it as I can see the arms moving about when the accelerator is pressed.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I can see it. Think you need new engine mounts.

OP
W

w210forever

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Cdi 2001
I can see it. Think you need new engine mounts.

Bear in mind that it was in drive with the breaks on and me revving the engine, I span the back wheels at one point. the reason I did this was so the sound could be heard in the video with the bonnet up.

I can barely move the engine at all by hand.

OP
W

w210forever

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Cdi 2001
The sound seems to appear only when the engine has started to warm up.. I cannot hear the sound for the first few minuets of driving.
Also, I disconnected the swirl flap motor so there is no power to it.. but I can still hear ticking.. so perhaps the flaps are worn or it's nothing to do with them.

Very odd.. It sounds a little bit like electrical arcing and it speeds up with the engine speed but only under partial load. It possible the sound is hidden by the engine when I use 100% power.

OP
W

w210forever

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 Cdi 2001
Today I removed the manifold and found one swirl flap that looks like it burnt or ground a chunk out... Anyways, I have burnt all the crap out of it and removed all the swirl flaps. I need to tap them but don't have a tap yet.

those flaps were brittle and 1 screw rounded.. However, it was easy to remove them.

I really hope the ticking sound will go away now and that no flap ended up in my valves.

as always, I remain impressed how well Mercedes bolts come undone and never need grinding.

Still looking for any hints regarding possible other things that could cause that ticking.

Attachments

• CCUJaePXIAEjlw5.jpg
    CCUJaePXIAEjlw5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 28
  • CCVJuDFWAAIBwVR.jpg
    CCVJuDFWAAIBwVR.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 25
  • CCVTEK6WYAAgMaZ.jpg
    CCVTEK6WYAAgMaZ.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 24

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom