Lumbered with another problem (E320 seat problem)

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
2004 E320 CDi Avantgarde

Yesterday I decided to adjust the memory driver's seat. Specifically I wanted more back support, so I tried adjusting the lumbar support.

I rotated the manual thumbwheel, which at first turned quite easily, but didn't seem to be having any effect. Then the thumbwheel started to stiffen, followed by a single 'crack-like' sound, followed by the thumbwheel rotating freely.

I guess that's it knackered.

Does anyone know what might have broken and how easy is it to access the lumbar adjustment mechanism?

The lumbar support on the passenger seat doesn't seem to do much either :(

Thanks,

Razoo

OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The lumbar only tightens the straps in the back rest, the knob is easy to replace, Knob is 140 and the lumbar support (not needed) 120-130

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.618&CT=F&cat=64U&SID=91&SGR=060&SGN=01

Thanks TV.

Have you any idea how I remove the thumbwheel? I don't want to break anything else. Does it simply pull off, or is there a hidden latch or screw?

Maybe I have to take the seat apart - it looks like the seat back might be removable.

The lumbar adjustment mechanism broke so easily, I guess it must be a fairly weak design.

Razoo

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can print off the info next week,,time is a little on the short side this week end

OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can print off the info next week,,time is a little on the short side this week end

Thanks TV, that would be much appreciated. I'm working this weekend, so won't be attempting the repair until the weekend after.

Razoo

OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ping Television

Hi TV,

Have you had time to look up the procedure for removing the lumbar support adjustment thumbwheel?

Thanks,

Razoo

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will do it now sir :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is nothing listed on doing this.

Thinking hard (I do that sometimes) this came up 2 years back and the answer is dead simple but i cannot remember,,I think it was jberks that knew how to do this (pm him), the other thing that comes to mind was the a dealer did it on the spot for someone

OP
Razoo

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is nothing listed on doing this.

Thinking hard (I do that sometimes)

Me too, but I have to lie down shortly afterwards :)

...this came up 2 years back and the answer is dead simple but i cannot remember,,I think it was jberks that knew how to do this (pm him), the other thing that comes to mind was the a dealer did it on the spot for someone

Thanks TV, I'll try my local MB dealership to see if they are feeling helpful.

My E320 has a MB Tier 1 warranty, but so far it hasn't covered anything that has gone wrong :(

If jberks doesn't spot this thread, I'll pm him to see if he has the answer.

Regards,

Razoo

boghos

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im having the same problem. I wanted to know if anyone found out how to take the knob off? Thanks in advance!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought it just pulled off.?

And I think that you are correct as I recall a dealer fitting one while the guy waited, this is also why there are no instructions

boghos

Reaction score
yes, you guys are right, came off, Thanks. It just felt like I was going to break it so I wasnt sure. :confused:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom