Lusting after an E63 5.5

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Hello all, long time since I posted here! Hope to reconnect with some old friends!
I have had several MB over the years among other marques. However, have never had an AMG.
Last time this came up in my mind, I went to view an E63 2010 model. Was around 3 years ago. I think the price of it was £24k. I instead wimped out, did what I normally do and bought a 350cdi for around £10k less.

This time I am hoping I will be brave enough to go for the E63. The issue is that my driving is around 20 miles a day, in and out of London (total of 40 miles a day). Currently driving a 200cdi C Class and averaging 40mpg! But spending so long everyday in the car (average of 2.5 hours) I guess I want something a bit more fun.

What are the collective views on the 5.5 and anything I should look for or be aware of?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
@JohnLaidlaw car is up for sale, immaculate example

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
My brother has an E63 estate which must be the 5.5L model. If he does use it for commuting, his journey is about 20 miles and mostly motorway. I seem to remember that it rarely does better than low 20's mpg. He loves it, even so!

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
My brother has an E63 estate which must be the 5.5L model. If he does use it for commuting, his journey is about 20 miles and mostly motorway. I seem to remember that it rarely does better than low 20's mpg. He loves it, even so!
Yes I can sort of accept 20mpg, figuring that my fuel costs will double. Much less than that and it will not be fun!! By the way nice collection of cars! Sold my 996 Turbo around 5 years ago. Looking at prices now, that was a mistake!!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold my 996 Turbo around 5 years ago. Looking at prices now, that was a mistake!!

My neighbour sold a 993 Turbo, massive mistake!!!!

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
If you REALLY want a E63
then go for it,
only live once,
can't take it with ya,
no pockets in a shroud,
I think you get the point. :)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Yes I can sort of accept 20mpg, figuring that my fuel costs will double. Much less than that and it will not be fun!! By the way nice collection of cars! Sold my 996 Turbo around 5 years ago. Looking at prices now, that was a mistake!!
The collection wasn't really meant to be this big, but things kind of happen...
We bought the Turbo 6 years ago - purely by chance at something of a price low-point. However, we have spent as much as it has appreciated on looking after it! The GT3 has only just arrived - just need some time to drive it now!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
On autotrader or elsewhere?
I can obviously vouch for it- 2 years trouble free and looked after thoroughly , it was a great car which at some point I will regret letting go! It doesn’t say on the ad but it also has a stage 1 remap (by MSL) which gave it 700bhp+ and 840lb/ft torque. A complete monster. I noticed they are selling with the winter tyres on, I also traded it (for the i8 in Shrewsbury) with the summers thrown in (P Zeros), they don’t mention on the ad either. I wouldn’t be driving that in summer with those winters on unless you want to some close study of hedge and tree roots!:eek:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
4E4CF955-E9E5-4F06-849D-3E6556F18728.jpeg
20 is almost spot on. That was my average over the 2 years. Highest was 28 I think, lowest 6 (don’t ask!)
I get a nose bleed almost with this....

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Wow, just looked at the link. The car looks very clean.

I was ideally after a grey one with the Night Pack. But will keep this one in mind, given that there is nice history of its ownership.

Also noticed newer shape E43 are to be had at mid 30s, so thinking if I should consider those too!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, just looked at the link. The car looks very clean.

I was ideally after a grey one with the Night Pack. But will keep this one in mind, given that there is nice history of its ownership.

It is spotless, IIRC has a ceramic coating on and also an Auto Watch Ghost immobiliser on

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
524A6C1A-705A-4988-AC4C-B601F10766A2.jpeg
It is spotless, IIRC has a ceramic coating on and also an Auto Watch Ghost immobiliser on
Correct- Gyeon MOHS and the Ghost fitted (rear spoiler by my fair hand too....), Stage 1 included too, what’s not to like? There’s the Ceramic effect....
Hubs properly painted, AMG centre caps and Black Mercedes bonnet badge...complete MB service history

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m not on commission by the way, it would be nice to see this car back in the fold though....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I’m not on commission by the way, it would be nice to see this car back in the fold though....

For a moment I thought that there was a £50 M.& S. voucher on offer here :D

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
So how does the i8 compare John ? The Mrs is swayed by an electric. I won't be selling the '55 though.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom