only live once,
can't take it with ya,
no pockets in a shroud,
I think you get the point. :)
Gold teeth lets you take it into the afterlife buddy :rolleyes:

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Gold teeth lets you take it into the afterlife buddy :rolleyes:

Ever worked in a crematorium?

End of each day a quick rake through garners blobs of gold ;);) Those fancy coffins that cost a fortune are piled to the side ready for the next rental service, just change the handles. You go out in a cardboard box. The cost of funerals is linked to the cost of living :alien:

Irony is I've done rebuilds where the crem has caught fire, several times. Having to stop work every hour or so to be silent, or for smokers, pop out the back for a fag, but not all in one group in order not to confuse funeral parties who are awaiting their (or someones) rellies ashes :alien:

Been to some crems where its like a cross between supermarket sweep and the generation game conveyor. Not particularly respectful :(

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Ever worked in a crematorium?

End of each day a quick rake through garners blobs of gold ;);) Those fancy coffins that cost a fortune are piled to the side ready for the next rental service, just change the handles. You go out in a cardboard box. The cost of funerals is linked to the cost of living :alien:

Irony is I've done rebuilds where the crem has caught fire, several times. Having to stop work every hour or so to be silent, or for smokers, pop out the back for a fag, but not all in one group in order not to confuse funeral parties who are awaiting their (or someones) rellies ashes :alien:

Been to some crems where its like a cross between supermarket sweep and the generation game conveyor. Not particularly respectful :(
I better come up with a plan B then buddy :D .

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Giving it some more thought. I am now also looking at the C63. Anyone had both or driven both and can compare?
This would be something like a 2013 model C63, so a facelift - not the 5.5 but the original 6.2l.
I know they are noisy and loud. May be fun for my commute, although not entirely sensible? At least 50% of my commute is in London traffic. Thoughts?

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Giving it some more thought. I am now also looking at the C63. Anyone had both or driven both and can compare?
This would be something like a 2013 model C63, so a facelift - not the 5.5 but the original 6.2l.
I know they are noisy and loud. May be fun for my commute, although not entirely sensible? At least 50% of my commute is in London traffic. Thoughts?
Could you stretch to the 2015 and later model, that was a lot more refined with the 4.0 V8. Personally I think both are fantastic, but then again I've never driven or owned either!!! Also the 4.0 is a bit better on millage. The only thing stopping me getting the 6.2 is MPG, I would want to drive it well, and I would be spending a small fortune filling up.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The C63 never had a 5.5 so you’d be missing out on the rather wonderful Bi Turbo...
The E is a gentleman’s conveyance
The 6.2 is awesome and emits the perfect noise but being na it’s less ‘tweakable’
Could always try to hunt down a 507 edition before they get much rarer?

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Could you stretch to the 2015 and later model
Looks like I change my mind three times a day, but this is where my current mindset is heading. Would mean paying c. £10k more but as you say improved mileage and the commute would be a lot more comfortable I think in the more modern car. I am usually quite trigger happy with these kind of things and make decisions on a whim. I hope I can control myself over the weekend!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like I change my mind three times a day, but this is where my current mindset is heading. Would mean paying c. £10k more but as you say improved mileage and the commute would be a lot more comfortable I think in the more modern car. I am usually quite trigger happy with these kind of things and make decisions on a whim. I hope I can control myself over the weekend!
I reckon you will fold like a cheap suit buddy :D ! Looking forward to the new car pics on Sunday

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Like Wighty has said, looking forward to the pics. Go for it, you only live once. :D.

There have been a few owners of the pre 2014 C63 around, so maybe they could give you some helpful insights into them?

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Well offer has been made on a 2016 C63 premium. It is fairly standard no major options. It has the 18 inch wheels rather than 19. Let's see what happens. I guess I will have until end of tomorrow to ponder it and put the deposit down.

Any last minute views welcome!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well offer has been made on a 2016 C63 premium. It is fairly standard no major options. It has the 18 inch wheels rather than 19. Let's see what happens. I guess I will have until end of tomorrow to ponder it and put the deposit down.

Any last minute views welcome!

So you actually folded in 3 hours then buddy :p

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
WRT to C63, if it hasn't got the AMG Performance Pack, make sure it has had the head bolts replaced with the upgraded items. Was about the only significant weakness on the M156, which was remedied fairly quickly.

Fantastic cars, loved mine... still miss it. Noise is there when you want it, fades in to background when you don't (eg motorway speeds).

Only thing I'd be wary of with your London commute, double clutch gearboxes aren't overly happy in stop-start traffic (you're basically slipping two clutches); not necessarily a big issue if you know this, and drive accordingly... ie leave a decent gap so drive is engaged properly when you're moving. It's the constant creep that does for them I gather.

Edit: just seen you've gone for a 2016... Can't remember if that's still the W204 platform?

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Will be a W205 which is a lovely thing!
Good work sir

OP
T

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Yes it is the 205. Not a done deal yet let's see where we get to tomorrow. Really torn as the 204 is just great and aggresive and iconic. However my fear is that doing the commute I do it will get tiresome. I'm sure I will lose more money on the 205 but that hopefully will be repaid with more comfort and maybe a little better fuel economy.

The one I have seen is Palladium silver which seems to look nice with the contrast pan roof.

It is a May 16 car with 10k on the clock. They will provide 2 year MB warranty as a minimum. Seems to be ticking a few boxes. Trying to convince myself that the smaller wheels are an advantage as ride comfort may be better!!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
The 204 63 really isn't that bad on a run, comfort-wise. It can be quite lazy, plenty of torque so give & take driving is a pretty chilled affair. Regularly did 220 mile commutes in mine, worked all day, then came home same evening.

On a decent run, (without driving Miss Daisy anywhere), it'd average 23-25mpg on that sort of trip.

Stop-start around Plymouth (quite hilly over short distances), 15-18mpg (actually better than SWMBO's XC60 there due to warming up quicker, and not having Volvo's godawful Geartronic box to haul around).

205 will be more economical, definitely. More up-to-date tech, etc.

18s will be a bonus for ride, as would adjustable suspension if the 205 has it (can't remember if it's standard now on 205).

I put about 25k miles on mine in 4yrs, and lost about £5k on it over that time.

If your possible one is a 16-reg, push for autobox fluid change within purchase price - the 204 was due at 3yrs or 30k miles IIRC, and the dealer had conveniently decided the latter was applicable - managed to claw that back at first service (it was quite pricey).

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed... they really grown on you! (I kept mine a year longer than I should've!)

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
To add to above Palladium silver is quite probably the best Mercedes colour - my 230 was and was a dawdle to keep clean - I’ll be surprised indeed if the deal doesn’t get done!

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I put about 25k miles on mine in 4yrs, and lost about £5k on it over that time.
That's exceedingly low depreciation! A very good result, I would say. Our two (older) AMGs lost £1500-£2000 per year.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
That's exceedingly low depreciation! A very good result, I would say. Our two (older) AMGs lost £1500-£2000 per year.

I had hoped it would do ok, as I bought it just as the old n/a was phased out, but it was by no means a garage queen!

Ironically, the chap who bought it used to run my local Indie, so he knew it well, knew I looked after it, etc.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had hoped it would do ok, as I bought it just as the old n/a was phased out, but it was by no means a garage queen!

Ironically, the chap who bought it used to run my local Indie, so he knew it well, knew I looked after it, etc.
From the pics it always looked immaculate.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom