M111 2.0 engine tuning help

Dorian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200
Greetings, what is the best way to gain more power on M111.940 engine without going forced induction? Would 2.2 or 2.3 head fit on a 2.0 and would increasing the compression by putting thinner HG and porting the head give any gains?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Any modifications will be expensive and will relatively small power gains.
Other than that the traditional methods of porting, bigger valves, camshafts, throttle body and induction tract and remap.
I wouldn't bother to be honest. Lots of money and little benefit unless racing. Far better to get a quicker ex-factory car (M112/3 powered or forced induction).

For example:
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C944817

OP
D

Dorian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200
Thanks for the reply, I know easiest and cheapest way is to just simply swap 2.3 kompressor,but you can never know in which shape the engine is if it is outside the car. If it is inside,you have to pay someone to put it out and it isn't worth it.Also my current engine has direct LPG system installed,to remove it and put it back in another engine would cost a fortune.But besides all of that I'm more of "build not bought" guy. I know the gains are not great,but here changing head gasket and giving the head to a professional machine shop would set me back to around 500 euros,which is much less compared to a turbo kit,not mentioning all the other mods you have to do to the car to be reliable. So,I was wondering would 2.2 or 2.3 head fit on a 2.0 block,since I would like to buy one of these and give it to a machine shop instead. Forgot to say that kompressor kit is also an option since it is much easier to install than a turbo,but I couldn't find any.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Gain v pain ? Wouldn’t bother to be honest personally

OP
D

Dorian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200
100 euros for removing and installing the new head back,500 euros for machine work of the head. Cheapest turbo kits are 1800 euros,installation and preparing the engine for the turbo additional 2000 euros. Couldn't find kompressor kits tho...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There is zero point in fitting the head from a 230 to a 200 as the valves are the same size (35mm/31mm).

Head porting and compression ratio may give you 10-15% tops (and you haven't factored in a remap to make the most of the changes in your costing). If you port the head you need to do something with the rest of the inlet tract. No point in having huge valves and ports if the inlet manifold strangles it. There's no point in porting the head without bigger valves either.

Cams may give another 15-20% (without becoming undriveable or screwing too much with the automatic gearbox - oh and thats another remap). Then you might need new injectors (you'd need to verify flow rates).
No off the shelf parts are available as far as I'm aware either so everything will need to be custom made and that can be expensive.

Don't bother. Sell it and buy a bigger engined car in the first place.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
100 euros for removing and installing the new head back,500 euros for machine work of the head. Cheapest turbo kits are 1800 euros,installation and preparing the engine for the turbo additional 2000 euros. Couldn't find kompressor kits tho...
I rest my case....

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom