M113 CLS500 exhaust tuning

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Try to speak to Imran directly at Torqueflow and explain the situation.
He will tell you if its possible or not.
07814 650 322

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
Thanks. I already sent them a quote in their site and will call them tomorrow. I will ask for Imran and will use the number you gave me. Thanks again.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thanks. I already sent them a quote in their site and will call them tomorrow. I will ask for Imran and will use the number you gave me. Thanks again.

I don't think MSL or Torqueflow are open on Fridays but they are back at work on a Saturday.

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
Small update on this. Called Imran, sound very nice gentleman and he knew all the types and shapes of rear boxes of MERCs AMG models.
Long story short, firstly he said that fitting an AMG backbox to my car won't bring the results I want and even lower the sound (as other guy told me). Secondly, the ones I have, from 218, won't fit my car. If they were from same 219 model cls55 or cls63 then they would fit. So now I have to sell them to get my money back.
He proposed to delete the boxes and fit the tips I want either trapezoidal or oval ones. To be honest I don't really care too much for the looks of the tips but for the sound so maybe I will end up reusing my existing oval ones to save some money, if I won't be able to sell the w218 cls63 AMG boxes I purchased two weeks ago.

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
new update on this. My rear mufflers were deleted this Saturday and replaced by straight pipes. everything else is in place (all 4 cats and mid resonator). I kept my existing oval tips to avoid cutting the bumper and also if for any reason i want to return back to factory sound it will be easier.
Sound is very loud, you can hear the v8 finally when accelerating but when cruising you enjoy a quiet commute as before (although you can hear the bass noise from exhausts when driving an inclined road or motorway). there is no drone noise in the cabin (since mid resonator is still in place). I am very happy with the result

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You’ve ended up where I was with my 230, which was a decent compromise. Only thing I did find as you say was that on a motorway incline it did boom a bit, nothing outrageous though.

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
Exactly that John, its a decent compromise since eventually I can hear my V8 which was my major complaint from my cls.
I would like to have some raspiness in the sound like the 63 AMGs do (and this is why i bought initially cls63 amg boxes) but at least I avoided having an aftermarket sound from an aftermarket box that would change the identity of this V8.

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
hi again, I am at a point that I am now considering to re-install the factory back-boxes back to the car, but the real problem is their resonated/muffled sound they produce or better to say the "no sound" which is a weird thing from a V8.

My major issue with the backboxes deleted is that several weeks ago I had a dynotest and the torque curve is very disappointing between 1200rpm and 1900rpm. only after the 2000rpm you can see the torque curve starting again to gain and increase. I strongly believe this loss in torque is the result of the mufflers deletion (everything else is stock on the exhaust system).
Second issue at the moment is the produced bass noise between these rpms with the lost torque, while after 2000rpm you can hear a pleasant proper v8 sound, especially when you are accelerating hard.

I do not want to end up with aftermarket custom boxes, while the branded ones like supersprint are very expensive and I am not sure if they are popular with the Mercs as they are with bimmers.

To conclude, I was reading many other forums for mods that can be done in existing factory back boxes (apparently it is very popular with motorcycle forums, mx5, corvettes etc) and I wanted to know if someone from here has done something similar and what is their experience.
Note that when I mention mods I only mean improve of the produced sound of a stock muffler and of course not in power gain etc.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have read all this, and what you actually want is a CLS 55 AMG. I know someone on here had one, awesome car, with the power and sound of the 55k, the real AMG experience.

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
I know, it was a very poor choice of me to purchase the 63 AMG mufflers and also from a w218 model.
Did the guy in here replaced only the rear mufflers or the whole piping?
With the 55 AMG mufflers it will imitate till a certain point the sound of these cars but I would expect some differences since the rest of the exhaust system between the 500 and the 55 are different too (and also the engines' displacements are different).

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I know, it was a very poor choice of me to purchase the 63 AMG mufflers and also from a w218 model.
Did the guy in here replaced only the rear mufflers or the whole piping?
With the 55 AMG mufflers it will imitate till a certain point the sound of these cars but I would expect some differences since the rest of the exhaust system between the 500 and the 55 are different too (and also the engines' displacements are different).
Also exhaust valve timing I believe.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom