M163 Black death fixed. 2.7 Deisel

Zednine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163/2003/2.7
Hi All.

Some encouragement for you.
After reading up on the guides here I decided to have a go at fixing No. 3 Cylinder's leak at the base of the injector. It was easy to spot... you could see and hear the puff-puff of blow by. I bought the tools from amazon and ebay, Injector puller kit. Seat cutting kit, Torx bolts, torque wrench, new bolts and washers. watched the video on you tube a few times, reread the guides.. etc. etc.

So - took the injector tool to remove the top of the injector.. twang.. bits went flying.. ooops. found all the bits and put aside. After a few hours of huffing and puffing, used a dental pick, screwdriver, carb cleaner. wd 40. got the injector out. cleaned away all the carbon etc. with vacuum and more picking etc. very gently used the seat cutter, not to cut, just to scrape the seat clean, stopped when it looked spotless. I put the copper washer on a knife sharpener block to "lap" the faces lightly, spotted that the highpoints on the washers are outward and inward from center. I put the inside high side to the injector face and the further out high point to the cylinder head, used correct MB grease lightly. Very carefully torqued it up. Tested.... Sounded good when stationary. Took it 4 a run.. Lumpy did not do it justice.

Gave up for the day. :confused:

Next day - took the top off the injector and did the same with a working injector. - this time holding it together. Ah Ha.. had a bit in the wrong place. Corrected that, tested on road. Smoother but still smelly.:sad:. checked and blow by again. Took out the injector, lapped, cleaned, cleaned bolt hole again. new washer - This time I annealed it by heating to red hot and plunging the washer into cold water. lapped it. Greased, refitted etc.

One week later and its great, have power, no smell and no leak.

Total cost £125 plus about 8 hours of my time. Benefit. SATISFACTION and next injector with black death will take me 3 hours max I reckon.

Not bad for an IT geek. :cool::p

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Well done; guess you saved a bit of money, much needed at this time of year too.

Ernie

J

JML270

Well done. Now you have the tools, I can see a business opportunity springing up!

Robg45

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 Cdi est SE Elegance 2003
Black Death

Ref to last post , take care though doing other peeps , as they can break pulling them out , casing can crack with pressure when pulling !!! , there's lots of what ifs with this when Black Death occurs , preventative replacement of seals probably best before blow back occurs , I wouldn't want that to happen. Doing someones and a break occurred !!!

Spread the love and know how of course unless you have liability insurance lol ;-)

OP
Z

Zednine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163/2003/2.7
I would not do this for other unless helping as a pal. There is scope for a lot to go wrong. I'm fairly competent but not a mechanic. Worked a lot on my own cars and bikes but my first "Diesel" experience. Basically chuffed with myself for doing it and it is still fixed.

It can be done if you give it a go and have some basic skills. Otherwise have a proper mechanic look at it.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Happy Festive time to all...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom