Magnetic engine sump plugs

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Anyone use one of these?

Seen one on fleabay and thought it was quite a good idea but don't know how effective/beneficial it would be.

I know there are magnets in the auto transmission sump on the Cherokee so there must be a benefit to using them where the tolerances are much finer but what about in an engine?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Andy,, the 722.6 boxes have magnets fitted in the sump, and we did have this years ago on the engines, the wear these day is minimal, and this is probably why they are no longer used, we do not get that much swarf anymore

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Many cars & M/cycles already have them fitted from new. Maybe you already have one?

They do work.

Russ

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
I have one in my old (1947) MG. For it's day this was a fairly powerful engine but not exactly long lived. The plug comes out each time looking like a cats furball!

Modern engines, particularly Mercedes, have a much greater longevity and more efficient filtration. A magnetic sump plug will attract ferrous wear particles, but these should also be caught by the oil filter. I doubt that it can do any harm apart from giving you a fright every time you change the oil! :shock:

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Thanks guys,

I was wondering how effective it would be, what with all the fancy new oil technology and assuming that the filter was doing its job properly!

Working in the aircraft industry, which uses this sort of thing, I just wonder sometimes whether the technology can be utilised on my vehicles.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks guys,

I was wondering how effective it would be, what with all the fancy new oil technology and assuming that the filter was doing its job properly!

Working in the aircraft industry, which uses this sort of thing, I just wonder sometimes whether the technology can be utilised on my vehicles.

Just think of it in the car industry, if we had one engineer certified to work on the top of the engine and another to work on the bottom sump half, using the engine to slow the car down would be banned until it was run in, also if the driving time was say £500 per hour as it is in a single engined chopper life would be very different ;):D

OP
wiltsandy

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Just think of it in the car industry, if we had one engineer certified to work on the top of the engine and another to work on the bottom sump half, using the engine to slow the car down would be banned until it was run in, also if the driving time was say £500 per hour as it is in a single engined chopper life would be very different ;):D

LOL! I like that analogy! :D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom