Mandatory Speed Limiters

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Seems we will not be able to speed anymore

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mo...MwEHZc1uxfqcYJc1zGWFj9U5MZQJZ8gU4Ph3NVf_RCUMU

Police won't like it as they will loose money

They are saying about Data loggers as well which seems an invasion of my human rights
I can see it coming, PoPo don't get the folding though, it's the council so they can fix the roads for us...:rolleyes:

At last week's full council meeting to set the budget, Annandale South councillor Richard Brodie suggested members of the public could sponsor one of the region's 40,000 potholes for £10 each, or upgrade to a platinum scheme for £50 per hole to be allowed to name it and attend a "filling ceremony".
Would you sponsor a pothole as a way to get it filled?

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Wouldn't worry too much about it. Someone will, soon enough, be selling a bit of kit on the Bay to override them.

Not me BTW o_O

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Wouldn't worry too much about it. Someone will, soon enough, be selling a bit of kit on the Bay to override them.

Not me BTW o_O

If only someone would sell something to over ride the pointless, tree hugger, 'eco' stop/start .... I think I'm going to wear my 'eco' button out & I'm only on day 3 :rolleyes:

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Another case of "experts" knowing what is best for the rabble and using statistics (you know the old saying -lies, damn lies and statistics) to justify the proposal. As "speed" is a factor in every road accident, stopping "speed" will prevent every accident - just that no vehicle will be allowed to move. Another very simple solution to a complex problem which will have a limited outcome at high cost to the user, either financially or in personal freedom.

With respect to so-called "smart" solutions, always remember that they are programmed or setup by humans who cannot have the experience or knowledge to cover all possible situations. For example, how many people developing a stability system in Germany will understand the requirements for safe operation on a dirt road in the wet in Outback Australia? From my experience, they can't get it right for a recently graded dirt road curve close to Melbourne (went off the road, missed a quite large gum tree by inches when the system cut power at the moment we needed power to pull out of a slide). So what chance of a system to suit all situations?

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
The value of older cars will increase dramatically, if new ones come with this technology.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Another case of "experts" ...

A friend shared the definition of a so called 'Expert' recently;

(eX) being the unknown quantity and a (spurt) being a drip under pressure! :D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
more crxx ! i have seen this coming , it will appear as a tax, and insurance pemiums on old non compliant vehicles and mandatory on all new. so will plod presently cruising up and down the land on revenue expeditions then be able to do some foot patrols and help with knife crime and granny pension murders or ? because around my daughters area you dont see plod until closing time or mrs may/prince charles come to open something .. std responce to reporting a crime "right now we dont have resources to look into it "

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Not me BTW o_O

Apparently there will be an over-rider according to the RAC. Extract from their report below :-

'To make the move more popular, the ETSC proposes an on/off switch to be included at first, which would allow the system to be overridden by pushing hard on the accelerator.

This override would allow motorists to speed up should circumstances need it, and could mean that stricter rules could be introduced in the future.'

But only temporarily :(

There are occasions where you need that extra push to get you out of trouble, a speed limiter would/could be fatal !! :(

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I do find driving the youths car with its tracker a sobering experience, where i expend quite a bit of my concentration watts on observing the speed limits, the problem is it isn't always obvious what the limit is.
Does it make for safer driving, the juries out on that.

The problem is we are a mix of poor, good and excellent drivers in a similar mix of vehicles travelling down a strange mix of roads roads,
throw into the mix cyclists, pedestrians, trucks, buses oh and a smattering of idiots.
With that lot to juggle is it any wonder that the pressure to "control" our roads grows.

I actually quite look forward to a time when we haven't got our hands on the wheel but that I feel will only be available to me on my brass handled oak veneered box.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I actually quite look forward to a time when we haven't got our hands on the wheel but that I feel will only be available to me on my brass handled oak veneered box.

I am in a similar position to you although mine will probably be cardboard. The thought of going somewhere in a car with no-one driving terrifies me ! :eek::eek:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The thought of going somewhere in a car with no-one driving terrifies me ! :eek::eek:

It terrifies me more when I imagine a driverless car coming towards me!

And soon there'll be thousands of them, all controlled by sensors - which, as we know - never go wrong.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I am in a similar position to you although mine will probably be cardboard. The thought of going somewhere in a car with no-one driving terrifies me ! :eek::eek:

Well if you have flown recently chances are that super complicated air borne ship had no one at the controls for some time,

The girl sat at the lights yesterday smiling whilst doing her make-up and texting !! managed to get her car underway without stopping either for some time, I presume her knees and feet were busy.
She saw me laughed and sped off in her fiat 500 presumably putting one or the other down,
Automation please.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It terrifies me more when I imagine a driverless car coming towards me!

And soon there'll be thousands of them, all controlled by sensors - which, as we know - never go wrong.
And yet we don't think twice about sitting in a thin aluminium tube at 39000 feet above the ground that is controlled from takeoff by a computer.

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
But in the aluminium tube there is - or should be - a qualified human monitoring the computers at all times and ready to assume manual control.
Assuming that said human has the required flying skills....

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I'm sure it won't be implemented here - we've yet to fit limiters to lorries yet despite being in the EU. As I wasn't in a rush was happy following a line of artics on the motorway for a good hour at 100-110km/h on speedo (verified the same on GPS) - thats 65-70 mph.

The line of us did encounter the odd foreign registered one doing 90km/h but as the rest were all unlimited the (2 lane) motorway didn't grind to a halt and we all just overtook as normal. When I finally overtook them as we went up a hill they were all newish or nearly new cabs.

Does make driving on motorways that bit nicer that not everything big goes so slow and bunches everything up - also the mpg was rather good for that hour with the lorries clearing the air for me :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
But in the aluminium tube there is - or should be - a qualified human monitoring the computers at all times and ready to assume manual control.
Assuming that said human has the required flying skills....
And hasn't fallen asleep from boredom or a heavy night the night before....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If those leavers get their way with no deal we won't have to worry as we won't have a car industry or be able to afford imported cars and fuel!

(Just for balance) ;)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom