manual gearbox

merc7

Reaction score
Why people choose a manual gear for Mercedes Benz? i find that sacrileges:confused:,when you have the best automatic gear box:rolleyes:

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
I suppose it's a matter of personal preference for a private buyer and price for a fleet buyer.
I have one of each,lucky me.
I enjoy the automatic 280 SL but because it's an SL,not particularly because it's automatic.
I have to agree that its operation is faultless.
However,my 190E is manual and I am perfectly happy to change gear myself,I don't think that takes away from the quality of the car.

At work,we have two DAF lorries,mine is a 16 speed manual,so I can choose my gear to suit the road conditions.
The other is rented and a 12 speed automatic.
I have watched how it changes gear,often missing one,two or even three gears, but that is the best way to drive a manual gearbox with that many speeds.
It does,however do some strange things,such as changing gear halfway round a roundabout or changing up five times in the length of our yard.

I prefer the manual box,it makes me feel more in control,but if I were specifying a fleet,I would choose automatic,which is less likely to be damaged by bad drivers and would even out fuel consumption.

I guess that Mercedes wouldn't offer a manual option if the demand wasn't there.

Regards,
Nick.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Personally, I hate changing gear myself now.

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
yes i'm afraid autobox has made me lazy - would not go back to manual now unless i really had to

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I love the auto box in MB's...... I dont find BMW to be as smooth gear change as MB..

Cousins 525i Motorsport is no where near as smooth as mine....

I didnt think i would enjoy an auto so much MB box has won me over.

I would like to know how good the auto box is on high power cars like SL55 or even a SL500. Also I think the new 7 gear boxs are even better than the one I have in my car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Apart from vintage cars like the RR I had where you could pull away in top I have only had auto's since the late 50's

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
Apart from vintage cars like the RR I had where you could pull away in top I have only had auto's since the late 50's

were there cars around in the 50's Malcolm:lol::lol:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

I was always skeptical about automatics until I bought a 190 auto from a guy at work (ex company car, good nick, trade price).

What a transformation. Super gear change, no penalty on fuel economy, relaxing drive.

I have had one manual car since (Volvo 850 CDI at a time when the Volvo diesel auto was out of my price range, and any diesel MB was too).

Otherwise it has been autos all the way. I understand all the arguments about control, not really a proper driver, poor fuel economy, expensive to repair, because I used to make them myself.

But if there are any auto gearbox virgins out there, afraid to take the plunge, take it from me - "you have nothing to lose but your clutch"! :D;):D

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Had a manual Yaris courtesy car yesterday for a couple of hours...not the most enjoyable experience in the world, really makes you appreciate the proper auto's fitted to our cars.

It would have to be something really special to make me go back to manual, and as for those dreadful automated manuals now so popular (well until they go wrong out of warranty, watch this space)....the gearbox from hell.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Back in the 70s Autocar drove a MGB from Hyde park to kensington in the rush hour,, they added up all of the energy required to push the clutch pedal, and added it all together,, had that been all on push the driver would have shifted 170 tons with his left leg,, say no more

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Is it a Myth that Auto cars are slightly heavy on fuel than Manual???? I would have thought with the clever Auto Boxes we have it would be always in the right gear so we are not burning more fuel than manual boxes

simon_wall69

Reaction score
Is it a Myth that Auto cars are slightly heavy on fuel than Manual???? I would have thought with the clever Auto Boxes we have it would be always in the right gear so we are not burning more fuel than manual boxes

Most are heavier on fuel, it's due mainly to the inefficiency of a fluid coupling compared to a clutch, which is also the reason that some autos are slower.

dervmerc

Reaction score
Why people choose a manual gear for Mercedes Benz? i find that sacrileges:confused:,when you have the best automatic gear box:rolleyes:

I have a manual 220cdi and find it as amiable as any manual gearbox in any car I've ever driven.I think that values being quoted as £1000 less for manuals is surely Mercedes wishing to advocate buying automatics rather than the manual.Maybe customers are being hoodwinked, despite the fact that the auto box is no doubt very very good? With past radiator problems leaking water into the auto box it's not all been a no brainer decision on which to buy.:confused:

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
I have a manual 220cdi and find it as amiable as any manual gearbox in any car I've ever driven.I think that values being quoted as £1000 less for manuals is surely Mercedes wishing to advocate buying automatics rather than the manual.Maybe customers are being hoodwinked, despite the fact that the auto box is no doubt very very good? With past radiator problems leaking water into the auto box it's not all been a no brainer decision on which to buy.:confused:

Absolutely is your choice:),however personally i think buying a prestigious car like the Mercedes-Benz designed to be driven with automatic gear box,do you not find foot brake also awkward to use?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Most are heavier on fuel, it's due mainly to the inefficiency of a fluid coupling compared to a clutch, which is also the reason that some autos are slower.

IIRC the Swedish police ran a parallel study with 2 SAAB 99 Combis (2 litre 3 door hatchbacks) in the mid 1970s - one manual, one automatic (only a 3 speed BW Gearbox in those days) during quite a prolonged period of everyday police work.

The automatic was the policemen's choice (surprise surprise), but in addition to its popularity in everyday, give and take, urban and suburban motoring, the auto used less fuel too.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would like to know how good the auto box is on high power cars like SL55 or even a SL500. Also I think the new 7 gear boxs are even better than the one I have in my car.

They have now after some years got the 7 speed bob OK now.

It is very good on my SL500 the only daft thing is that you cant have your foot on the throttle and the brake at the same time,with just the slightest touch on the brakes the engine will stay at idle,,I thought it was a fault at first

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom