massive dazzling sparkles in front screen

Ron Laidler

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 1964 220cdi
when the sun is low , the front screen is full of sparkles almost as if someone has poured iron fillings into the screen - this is also a problem at night with on coming lights . This is on a 64 e class - also had it on a 14 c class . When I took the c class to dealers in Norwich they brought another c class and parked it behind mine with the same results . It has to be a manufactures problem ?How many of you have the same problem ? Awaiting dealers answer !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would go over the screen with 0000 grade wire wool and window cleaner as a lubricant, and see how it come up.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
do MB have an electric heated front screen available now, like in my Mondeo? im just wondering could it be that? in certain light situations, its quite easy to see the heater element in my front screen, although you soon get used to it, it can be a little distracting at first, rather similar to what the OP describes

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
I'd recommend a trip to specsavers

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Can only think it may be those small pitted road grit marks, Ive had it on a few cars, but it never seemed a a big problem, unless at low sun, or direct light situations..
Might be worth a trip to the local windscreen fitters and see if they can enlighten you.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Extractor hit it on the head .going along small bits of grit road stone ,not enough to make a noise hit the screen .This is the result of this going on over a number of years .Only way out is window screen replacment.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
OP was on a 64 plate so must have covered some miles in a short space to do that!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
do MB have an electric heated front screen available now, like in my Mondeo? im just wondering could it be that? in certain light situations, its quite easy to see the heater element in my front screen, although you soon get used to it, it can be a little distracting at first, rather similar to what the OP describes

got that on our Galaxy too which I don't drive very often, so never get used to it, make me feel slightly sick!

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
when the sun is low , the front screen is full of sparkles almost as if someone has poured iron fillings into the screen - this is also a problem at night with on coming lights . This is on a 64 e class - also had it on a 14 c class . When I took the c class to dealers in Norwich they brought another c class and parked it behind mine with the same results . It has to be a manufactures problem ?How many of you have the same problem ? Awaiting dealers answer !!

I have it on my screen, only visible in certain situations, assumed it was previous owner
too close to a motorway gritter.

would go over the screen with 0000 grade wire wool and window cleaner as a lubricant, and see how it come up

Somewhat wary of that Malcolm, have you personal experience ?

simon

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ive had it on a few cars now. even my old banger racer granada mk2 ghia x had it!!!! i never really notice it, to be honest, although i do wear glasses which i have those 'reactions' (as i believe specsavers call them) lenses which may help hide the lines a little, especially when the light would normally be at a level which would accentuate the existence of those tiny thin wires!

it is a brilliant system though, works very well. i believe VAG also use their own version of it now. not sure how visible or not the lines are in their screens, but im sure it will be in the interests of reducing their emissions........

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Somewhat wary of that Malcolm, have you personal experience ?

simon

I have and I do it all the time. Especially before applying a screen sealant like Nanolex.

I also use Rayon pads on a rotary polisher with Cerium Oxide polish. Now that will fcuk the screen up if you're not careful.

You will do well to do any damage with wire wool to a windscreen as long as it is 0000 grade. Should add that the windscreen needs to be glass and not Perspex! :p

Can buy it fairly cheap on Amazon.

If you're local to North Yorkshire bring the car to me and I'll do it for you.

Last edited:

Lexman8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 (2001): Distronic, Bose, Keyless Go; Honda CR-V EX (2011)
Isn't that a patented Ford (and others they own like Jag) thing?

I think the patent has expired. Jaguar and Land Rover are now owned by an Indian company.

My mate's Jag has a heated windscreen and I've never noticed the heating elements. Actually, do they still use heater elements or something more advanced such as a conductive layer?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My other halfs BMW MINI has a heated screen and uses fine wires embedded in the screen. Its not all that noticeable under most circumstances but you do see them at times.

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
Sounds like an old windscreen with lots of minor stone chips... Part of life down here..

No real cure other than replacement. However, polishing the outside with metal polish does mitigate things - a little bit.

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
I have and I do it all the time. Especially before applying a screen sealant like Nanolex.

I also use Rayon pads on a rotary polisher with Cerium Oxide polish. Now that will fcuk the screen up if you're not careful.

You will do well to do any damage with wire wool to a windscreen as long as it is 0000 grade. Should add that the windscreen needs to be glass and not Perspex! :p

Can buy it fairly cheap on Amazon.

If you're local to North Yorkshire bring the car to me and I'll do it for you.

Thank you for the good advice, I will give the wire wool a try first.
If that fails I have a DA that should put me on the learning curve for cerium oxide/jewellers rouge treatment.

Resulting from past experience I have no wish to renew my windscreen

Your kind offer is much appreciated but I am South of the Humber.

simon

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Isn't that a patented Ford (and others they own like Jag) thing?

VW and Skoda i know have the same system now, and i think a patent only lasts for a certain period, and im not sure if they can be renewed or not. the banger racer i had with it in was registered in 1984, so even if it was launched and patented that year, it means it would be a 31 year old patent, and they have to be renewed annually after 4 years (in the UK at least) up to a maximum of 20 years, so any patent will be well beyond that now.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Thank you for the good advice, I will give the wire wool a try first.

If that fails I have a DA that should put me on the learning curve for cerium oxide/jewellers rouge treatment.

Resulting from past experience I have no wish to renew my windscreen

Your kind offer is much appreciated but I am South of the Humber.

simon

Just remember to stay at a slow speed. (No higher than 1500 rpm) and use a compounding pad unless you have a Rayon pad. You're trying to remove whatever contamination the issue is not remove glass. Just careful not to go too hard/fast as you run the risk of causing hologramming and bows/troughs which will mean a new screen.

If however it is scratches/pitting on the screen you won't remove them.

If you do get stuck and fancy a day trip to near Darlington just let me know.

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom