MB Blackpool and the Valeo Radiator

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi everyone..
Just been on the phone to the MB dealer in Blackpool..
I asked him about the dreaded Valeo Radiator issue..
He said it was a rare problem but that Mercedes Benz were aware of the problem.. He then said why dont I take my car to them the check out the Radiator type??
Now the good bit...
He then said if it was the Valeo version, then MB would authorize a replacement free of charge as a good will gesture !!!!
Yes you read this correctly...
I was so pleased with this news that I booked the car in to have the Auto Transmission fluid changed as well as the hidden filter inside the auto box...
I asked this guy about the "new" recommended ATF change intervals...
He said MB now advise to change it every 37,500 miles..
I then asked him about what quantity of ATF fluid they change..Due to 3 litres or so remaining in the Torque converter..
He said they change the whole lot by removing the torque converter and totally cleaning it out.. He then said thats why it costs around £200 to have the job done..
I have decided to have them do the ATF fluid change.. After all I wont be having to pay for a Radiator (if it needs one)..

I know some of you will criticize me for not doing this job myself, but for peace of mind and the knowlege that its ALL been changed I will live with the cost..
If anyone wants to contact the Blackpool Mercedes Benz Dealer then ask for Shaun in the servicing department..
He was very helpful and gave me lots of confidence that they at least knew what they were talking about..

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Excuse me they say they take the torque converter off, what lies and a load of rubbish. the labour bill to do that job is 10 hours

You have been told in your other post the the car with the 612 engine is not affected

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Be interesting to hear what happens if they do discover a Valeo radiator, although sod's law we're likely to be disappointed and the car will turn out not to have a Valeo radiator! (No-one has ever reported MB changing the radiator under goodwill before).

Strictly speaking, the MB schedule for ATF change is a one-off change at 37,500 miles, but that only applies to vehicles after last 2004 - before this, MB "official" policy is that the boxes are sealed for life. Mine is on an MB service contract and they wouldn't change it.

As Malcolm says, they don't remove the torque convertor, but they can change the fluid under pressure. Do they do this, or just drain and refill - who would know?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Be interesting to hear what happens if they do discover a Valeo radiator, although sod's law we're likely to be disappointed and the car will turn out not to have a Valeo radiator! (No-one has ever reported MB changing the radiator under goodwill before).

Strictly speaking, the MB schedule for ATF change is a one-off change at 37,500 miles, but that only applies to vehicles after last 2004 - before this, MB "official" policy is that the boxes are sealed for life. Mine is on an MB service contract and they wouldn't change it.

As Malcolm says, they don't remove the torque convertor, but they can change the fluid under pressure. Do they do this, or just drain and refill - who would know?

The Rad is well clear and not on the 270cdi 612 engined cars.

The interesting bit on the fluid change, this was only done once at 40k when a car went over to assist, and the change was never done as a part of a normal car service.

Re pumping the fluid out this is not done, as it is not in WIS and MB engineers have to work by the book

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k

I rang MB Truro today regarding a transmission fluid change and the Valeo radiator thing.

I was told the fluid change was £230 inclusive, and if I have a Valeo radiator fitted I could have a fluid test done for £80.
If after testing it is found that there is coolant in the transmission fluid, then the radiator will be replaced and the fluid replaced and that a claim would then be put to MB and that I would be refunded my £80.
As soon as it stops raining I will be checking my radiator!!!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If after testing it is found that there is coolant in the transmission fluid, then the radiator will be replaced and the fluid replaced and that a claim would then be put to MB and that I would be refunded my £80.

That would be awesome. But why have they consistantly blown out people who've actually had radiator failures and left them to pay huge bills for gearbox repairs?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That would be awesome. But why have they consistantly blown out people who've actually had radiator failures and left them to pay huge bills for gearbox repairs?

I know the SW group that mercmadjim uses, they are very helpful but as his car is not displaying the symptoms then they are safe in taking his £80 to check it.

I agree all of the rust, 271 heads all make for a poor show, and the people have bought the cars in good faith and could do nothing about the faults

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Removing the torque converter? Shock horror. Amanda (service adviser at Blackpool) knows better than to make statements like this. You have to remove the gearbox to do that :shock:. BIG job and not in the interests of Mb to do the job at a loss.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
oooh errr I do seem to have encurred the wrath of you all..
Ian B Walker It was NOT Amanda that told me about the Torque converter removal.. It was the Service manager !

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent thee a PM Ian..
I Look forwards to meeting you mate,

Simon

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lastly...
Am I assuming that the general consensus out there is that I am mad for having the MB dealer change my ATF fluid?
If he wants to replace my Radiator free of charge for whatever reason then I dont feel inclined to argue with him...
I think I know why they are being "Nice" to me..
I happen to have the same surname as the Name of the dealership.. They might think Mr Big is my Daddy !!! Ha ha..

Now I feel an AMG SL500 being put in my christmas stocking..

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lastly...
Am I assuming that the general consensus out there is that I am mad for having the MB dealer change my ATF fluid?

I don't think you're mad for having it done there, but the dealer staff do consistently talk absolute rubbish. As an owner, it's frustrating that it seems to be impossible to get a straight answer on anything.

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Lastly...

No you are not mad for having MB change your ATF, I am considering having it done by my local main dealer.

But what worries me personally is how good a job they will do, I asked how they drain the torque convertor, and was told they don't drain the torque convertor!! which means a quantity of old oil stays in the box, I am considering doing this job myself, I have done the job on other makes that have dipsticks, and feel that with the help of Malcolm and some of the others on here, I would be able to do as good a job if not better than MB, as I will take time and care of my car, and save a few quid as well.
I think the fact that your main dealer has lied to you (taking off your torque convertor) and my main dealer being honest? (we don't drain the torque convertor) should perhaps set your alarm bells ringing.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No you are not mad for having MB change your ATF, I am considering having it done by my local main dealer.

But what worries me personally is how good a job they will do, I asked how they drain the torque convertor, and was told they don't drain the torque convertor!! which means a quantity of old oil stays in the box, I am considering doing this job myself, I have done the job on other makes that have dipsticks, and feel that with the help of Malcolm and some of the others on here, I would be able to do as good a job if not better than MB, as I will take time and care of my car, and save a few quid as well.
I think the fact that your main dealer has lied to you (taking off your torque convertor) and my main dealer being honest? (we don't drain the torque convertor) should perhaps set your alarm bells ringing.

Yes and so true, MB have to work by the book and only 3 liters of the 6 will get changed, it is our indies who worked out how to drain it all, so simple to do, and for the sake of laying on your back for and hour is not a bad saving of £100, the other way is to go to an indie who will do it all for around £160 including the fluid and filter

LYNALL

Reaction score
I have never got more than 2.5 litres from both our cars during gearbox oil change.

Lynall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have never got more than 2.5 litres from both our cars during gearbox oil change.

Lynall

Then you did not drain the converter

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
There's that damn £80 again!! what puzzles me is, MB Truro will do the test for £80...I want an ATF change anyway, which will cost £230 and they won't drain the torque convertor, but they will not test the ATF whilst they are doing the change, they will only test before they do they change £80 kerching.
I just can't see why once they have drained the ATF (which I am paying for) they can't test it? and then if there is glycol in my ATF change the rad etc, before refilling.
It seems like this £80 business is yet another way to fleece money from us.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's that damn £80 again!! what puzzles me is, MB Truro will do the test for £80...I want an ATF change anyway, which will cost £230 and they won't drain the torque convertor, but they will not test the ATF whilst they are doing the change, they will only test before they do they change £80 kerching.
I just can't see why once they have drained the ATF (which I am paying for) they can't test it? and then if there is glycol in my ATF change the rad etc, before refilling.
It seems like this £80 business is yet another way to fleece money from us.

I did comment on the other post about this, it is a scandal and no more than a test strip as used for urine and blood on a diabetic

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom