MB CLS350d 2019 Park Assist Inoperative being erratic.

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
Hi there,

Looking for some understanding of how the park assist system starts to work. I have noticed it being extremely erratic in my case: sometimes after driving for a bit, and upon slowing down, the park assist option pops-up and the car parks itself perfectly. However, sometimes the park assist is inoperative, and whatever I try, it remains inoperative. I’m sure there is a logic behind when it’s operative and when it’s not. Can somebody offer an explanation please? TIA.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It normally only activates at slow speeds (15mph or less) and will only give you the option if it detects a space that the car can fit in.

OP
G

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
It normally only activates at slow speeds (15mph or less) and will only give you the option if it detects a space that the car can fit in.
Thanks, Alexander.. I understand that it activates at slow speeds (in my case it says less than 22 mph), but my concern is why is it sometimes inoperative (even at low speeds) and OK sometimes. It’s just the randomness I can’t get my head around.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Are you indicating towards the space ?

OP
G

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
Are you indicating towards the space ?
Thanks, John. What do you mean by indicating towards the space? You mean the indicators/turn signals?

When the park assist is operative, yes I get the options to indicate towards the options shown on the screen (to select the parking space of choice)... My concern is that often I’m in the car park and try to auto park, but the park assist feature is unavailable. The dash shows this exact message “the park assist is inoperative”.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks, John. What do you mean by indicating towards the space? You mean the indicators/turn signals?

When the park assist is operative, yes I get the options to indicate towards the options shown on the screen (to select the parking space of choice)... My concern is that often I’m in the car park and try to auto park, but the park assist feature is unavailable. The dash shows this exact message “the park assist is inoperative”.
Yes, that’s what I meant. Is it doing this with parallel parking or (if you have the function) reverse parking into a space?

OP
G

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
Yes, that’s what I meant. Is it doing this with parallel parking or (if you have the function) reverse parking into a space?
I have both the options: to parallel as well as reverse parking. It also gives me an option to reverse park facing front or rear.. All good when the park assist is operational. But I don’t understand when it’s meant to be operational and not. I have tried under the same scenarios and have had different results.

OP
G

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
Hang on, are you saying to let the car know that I’m now looking for parking, I start the indicating, then drive forward under 22 mph. The indicating signals to the car that we are looking for parking... Correct?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hang on, are you saying to let the car know that I’m now looking for parking, I start the indicating, then drive forward under 22 mph. The indicating signals to the car that we are looking for parking... Correct?
Absolutely correct!

OP
G

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
Absolutely correct!
Ok, many thanks, John. I feel stupid if that worked lol.. Serves me right for not reading the instruction manual. But who reads them today anyway.
Anyway, much appreciated and many thanks again.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ok, many thanks, John. I feel stupid if that worked lol.. Serves me right for not reading the instruction manual. But who reads them today anyway.
Anyway, much appreciated and many thanks again.
Not a problem, as you say- who reads the manuals?
In saying that, there might still be a problem but hopefully not and a cheaper than cheap fix!

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
I may be wrong, but I believe that the latest iteration of the self parking system does not require the indicator to be on to start the parking space search. (It doesn't on my 2019 E class.) This was required to tell the system which side to search, but it now checks both automatically. In fact it turns the appropriate indicator on itself when the parking manoeuvre is initiated. I am not clear exactly what behaviour you are experiencing. Is it that the system fails to find spots when you think it should, or finds them but does not initiate self-parking, or does but then abandons the manoeuvre part way through? I am sure I am telling you something you know already but you are aware that, although the "P plus arrow" display on the main display indicates the availability of spaces, it is necessary to select the button on the centre console to call up the parking display and start the manoeuvre? If your car is like mine this button is carefully obscured from view and it is possible to press the autostop/start switch by mistake. Well I have! I might add that mine does sometime give up half way through for no apparent reason, with a helpful "parking assist terminated" message.

OP
G

GauravK2310

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2019/350d
Thanks, Barian. The more things I try, the more I think it’s the fault with the park assist system.

the indicators are not the trigger. I wondered whether the parking signs (the big blue P signs) could also be the trigger, but it’s not. The white bay lines are also not the trigger.
I can say all that because I am noticing this erratic behaviour of park assist options available at random and then disappears. Like today, when I was slowing down at the traffic lights, the park assist sign (a small camera with P next to it) appeared on the dash. Then I pressed the park assist button to activate the assistance, and the car started looking for parking spots. But as I was on the traffic light, neither there was any parking spot nor did stay within the 22 mph limit. But the park assist system was in action. Now, when I got to the destination and wanted the park assist to kick in, it didn’t.

I have called Mercedes Ben customer care and they’re also finding some answers for me.

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
Not much I can add I am afraid, except to point out that the park assist sign only indicates that the system is active. It is when there is also an arrow sign that it is indicating that a suitable spot has been located. But I expect you know this. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out with MB and do please let us know the outcome.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Some models need the left indicator on and under ~22mph for the car to look for parking - parking bay has to be quite big. On mine (and other models) I only need to indicate if I want to park on the right side of the road....

My owners manual provides the information below - (what does yours say?)

Active Parking Assist will detect only parking spaces:
  • parallel or at right angles to the direction of travel
  • parallel to the direction of travel and at least 1.5 m wide
  • parallel to the direction of travel and at least 1.0 m longer than your vehicle
  • at right angles to the direction of travel and at least 1.0 m wider than your vehicle

Active Parking Assist does not help you to park in spaces at a right angle to the direction of travel if:
nav_left.png

two parking spaces are located directly next to one another
nav_left.png

the parking space is directly next to a low obstacle such as a low kerb
nav_left.png

you forward-park

Active Parking Assist does not help you to park in spaces that are parallel or at a right angle to the direction of travel if:
  • the parking space is on a kerb
  • the system reads the parking space as being blocked, such as by foliage or grass paving blocks
  • the area is too small for the vehicle to manoeuvre into
  • the parking space is bordered by an obstacle, e.g. a tree, a post or a trailer

Omani

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300/2018
Hi there,

Looking for some understanding of how the park assist system starts to work. I have noticed it being extremely erratic in my case: sometimes after driving for a bit, and upon slowing down, the park assist option pops-up and the car parks itself perfectly. However, sometimes the park assist is inoperative, and whatever I try, it remains inoperative. I’m sure there is a logic behind when it’s operative and when it’s not. Can somebody offer an explanation please? TIA.
We're facing the same problem as yours. In addition, break hold has the same problem. Actually both problems appear together and disappear together. We changed the Auxiliary Battery but still the same problem. Have you figured out what's the problem?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom