MB Improvement??

emmdee

Reaction score
In general terms, has MB passed through its so-called "Lancia Phase"? If so, when? I caught an old episode of Top Gear from 05 which described a Merc, disparagingly as being built "like a Merc", so they obviously hadn't fixed things in 2005.

I'm looking at Mercs and the ones in my price range tend to be between 1998 and 2002 when Lancia Phase was still in operation. In mitigation, though, I tend to think that if I can find a good running, rust-free 1998 car, then it would have rusted and/or gone wrong before now, so would probably be fine (for its age)

Any agreement? Has MB still failed to recapture the glories of old?
m.d.

Shanusacarabus

Reaction score
My car is a 2000 and had no rust visible when i bought it, 3-4 months down the line and its popping up all over so be careful and good luck !!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
My car is a 2000 and had no rust visible when i bought it, 3-4 months down the line and its popping up all over so be careful and good luck !!

I think that is a very pertinent warning for all of us. It is tempting to think that, if it has not rusted so far, then it will not do so, but there are no such rules or guarantees.

Sadly, that information will tend to blight even the better cars from that era.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have seen some nice ones that have not rusted,,but not that many, if they are caught early and the wheel arches cleaned out of all of the mud, and wax oiled then they should not rust much further

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
best to find a car with minor rust, buy cheaply and sort the rust out. thats what i did with my car. at least i could then judge the extent of the rust, and as i did the work myself, i know how well or badly (depends on your point of view) the rust treatments etc were carried out

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
In general terms, has MB passed through its so-called "Lancia Phase"? If so, when? I caught an old episode of Top Gear from 05 which described a Merc, disparagingly as being built "like a Merc", so they obviously hadn't fixed things in 2005.

I'm looking at Mercs and the ones in my price range tend to be between 1998 and 2002 when Lancia Phase was still in operation. In mitigation, though, I tend to think that if I can find a good running, rust-free 1998 car, then it would have rusted and/or gone wrong before now, so would probably be fine (for its age)

m.d.

See this thread: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43408 for details of when full galvanising of all steel panels began, model by model.

Latest J D Power survey put Mercedes as one of the top three manufacturers (with Lexus and Honda first and second) and that suggests significant improvements in recent years. Good results in reliability surveys too.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Latest J D Power survey put Mercedes as one of the top three manufacturers (with Lexus and Honda first and second) and that suggests significant improvements in recent years. Good results in reliability surveys too.

The latest JD Power report is of no use to someone buying a car from 9 years ago, is it..lets get real please

JD Powers 2001 here

Mind you the cars were near new then and JD Power reports take no account of the rust issues

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
The latest JD Power report is of no use to someone buying a car from 9 years ago, is it..lets get real please

JD Powers 2001 here

Mind you the cars were near new then and JD Power reports take no account of the rust issues

I think you need to read the OP again. He is asking, amongst other things, has MB improved, so recent surveys are very relevant. This is what he says: -

"In general terms, has MB passed through its so-called "Lancia Phase"? If so, when? I caught an old episode of Top Gear from 05 which described a Merc, disparagingly as being built "like a Merc", so they obviously hadn't fixed things in 2005.

m.d. "

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think you need to read the OP again. He is asking, amongst other things, has MB improved, so recent surveys are very relevant. This is what he says: -

"In general terms, has MB passed through its so-called "Lancia Phase"? If so, when? I caught an old episode of Top Gear from 05 which described a Merc, disparagingly as being built "like a Merc", so they obviously hadn't fixed things in 2005.

m.d. "

You read the original post how you want to but I do not read it as being interested in a 2010 car when he is like many of who have to buy something from 98-2000 Or are you trying to tell him that the 2010 cars are fine and the others are not

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
"In general terms, has MB passed through its so-called "Lancia Phase"?

As an ex Lancia owner, I take exception at the attempt to bring the Lancia name down to Mercedes level!

Russ

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
Judging by the poor reviews that the latest E Class (W212) is receiving in the motoring press, I'd say that the good ol' days of MB are back.

The solid, hewn from ganite, but lacklustre handling/feeling days.

This is a good thing.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
You read the original post how you want to but I do not read it as being interested in a 2010 car when he is like many of who have to buy something from 98-2000 Or are you trying to tell him that the 2010 cars are fine and the others are not

First, 2010 has not happened yet so no surveys cover that period do they?

Second, he says, about quality in 2005 and also asks if MB have regained the quality of old. So clearly current and recent performance by MB are relevant.

Thirdly, most of the surveys -especially J D Power are about cars, many of which are several years old so again they are relevant.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom