MBS saviours - MAF lesson!

sideways270

Reaction score
This is a long story - but I'll try to keep it as short as possible...
Having read the dire stories about MAF problems I convinced myself I had troubles brewing with the MAF on my E270 52 reg. Partly due to a friendly garage owner who told me that as it had gone into safe mode during a long trip it was most likely the fault. He offered to fix it and I left the car with him overnight.He said he couldn't get the part... that was some months ago ... so I took the car away and it didn't happen again for about two months. Then I thought this is going to get worse so I'd check this out on the forum...
I went to Euro parts and got the part after trying to find people who could supply via the forum - Couldn't find definitive answer so got Bosch replacement. Didn't make any difference - if anything it made it worse. Looking around forum again I saw mention of Colin and Dave at MBS - nr Southampton. I live in Pool so thought it worth a trip.
Initially I asked them to investigate battery losing charge then horrid squeak from front. Also had knocking which I'd determined probably came from propshaft. Two other garages had failed to find the knock!
In a day they fixed the noises - prop shaft bearing and lower swivels on front. I then called them to explain about the safe mode and they said bring it back and we'll have a look...
After two trips, and all sorts of taking bits off and cleaning - the computer, who must be obeyed, was telling us the exhaust recirc system was having a problem and that the MAF was faulty!
Finally Colin began to strip parts of his car to sub into mine - they really do have a 'can do' attitude. It seemed nothing was going to stop these two determined guys from finding a cure.
I thought at one time Colin was going to suggest an engine swap - now I am exaggerating! Anyway, having tried most of the sane suggestions attention turned to the air filter. This was changed about a year ago when a friend who has a garage in Hazlemere, Bucks. service guy changed the filters fuel/air and did an oil change. Guess what - took the air filter out - The MAf readings returned to normal and the EGR stopped complaining.
All this agro seems to have been caused by the wrong air filter, it wasn't a genuine Merc part!
So, my advice - before assuming the MAF is creating all sorts of problems either check the filter in your little black box or call the guys at MBS - I can't recommend them more highly - thanks guys.
One suggestion - make your place easier to find! Map and signage on website...
One comment - I owned a garage in the 80's in Harrow - Headstone Motoring Centre. I arrived at MBS Monday morning to find Colin hoovering the workshop!! I've never heard of that before... Rubber gloves I thought was a nancy step to take in working on cars but hoovering the floor of a workshop - I've seen it all now. BUT there's no denying these chaps have the right attitude and it's that that counts!
Andrew

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am going to see them this week to get a bleeding job done :D Hope that I will find it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did see you booked in Malc:confused::confused:

I must get the ABC bled, mainly from the offside front,,what day can I come when it is not raining please,,I will bring 4 liters of fluid

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just about to hit the sack, i havent rang you!! bell you in the morning Sir, been a long day, again!!!!

Thank you..I know how to do it and have all of the info, I just cant hang all of the wheels easily

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom