mechanic cut hole in my car!

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
its a ford it will rott! but if a decent mechanic had done that he would have re-welded the nut back to captive and welded a plate back over, thats now an MOT failure.

OP
C

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
thanks again all., really appreciate the replies, i have no intention of falling out over it ill just ask him to weld it back - then 2bh ill go elsewhere in the future, thanks agin. - though colt45 - im not entirely sure i agree on the rust its 9years old and not any rust at the moment, i had a 2002 merc Sports coupe and the wheel archers started rusting from the insides out at 3years old, granted it was repaired under warrenty, and they did a good job, my only real complaint was it wasnt done at merc, just a bodyshop i had to drive 35miles each way to and they gave me a skoda curtosy car lol but i guess cant be fussy ;p

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
nowt wrong with skoda's ;)

just ask him to weld the nut back in place and a peice back in the side. provided he's had the bolt on a wire brush to clean the threads, with a little oil on it too it should always be undoable ;)

ford have these bad designs and poor build qualities for me. everything is assembled too dry or with that horrible loctite so nothing undoes easily without feeling like its about to break. and i have seen 2004 fords rotten as a pear underneath. they just seem rushed rather than assembled which is why i'll never buy one or own one.

i have struggled on many cars to undo certain bolts/nuts but i have found that out of all that japs are the most arkward to work on yet everything comes off easily.

OP
C

coolpot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/1.8p
:) thanks, yea i had a 2.0ltr impreza just recently, all of the work inside the car was easy it was just held together with screws, no aqkward trim etc, but the engine was hard to work on, i changed the plugs but being a flat four with the plugs on iether side of the engine, even this task was much harder than on a normal car. i almost resorted to taking the battery and water bottle off, in the end i just had to remove the airbox, but it was close!

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I think if it was mine I would be going straight back to the garage and shoving the vandal's (he's not a mechanic) head into the hole.

Now now 100% you know that is not a politically correct answer, nevertheless it is a good one though:D

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Before screwing the bolt back in use some grease (normal or copper) and smear it in the hole and then insert bolt.

The grease stops the bolt rusting in as long as the captive nut is welded in securely.

Its a common thing amongst others (had to fix my first Mini rear sub-frame body mounts, Capri's, Mondeo's and Vectra's in my time helping out friends on their vehicles).

Diggers

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Hi this is not a merc its my ford, but i just got my car back from having some work done, its had two new anti-roll bar Drop links as i call them?! i think it links the subfram to the top of suspension or something or other! i duno!
and its had the rubers that the roll bar sits on changed - one of the subframe bolts apparently was spinning, and i have a pic as to how he cut a hole in the side of some piece to get at the bolts
pic attached, how would you feel if this is your car? would you accept this as being the only way to get it sorted? i kinda feel a little unhappy i wasnt told before he cut the hole, and indeed that it has been left like this. just interested to know what you guys thinks, thanks in advance, steve.

Would you like me to give them a visit?? i charge reasonable fees...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom