Mechanical Key Won't Lock/Unlock

Rosscam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde
Hi all

I have a 2005 E Class 220 Avantgarde

Yesterday the key fob wouldn't talk to the car although the little red light seemed to be working...

I tried the mechanical key out of the fob in the drivers side lock and the key turns well both ways but doesn't lock/unlock the vehicle. It isn't seized or limited in the way it turns - simply nothing happens.

Luckily I was close to home, I got the other fob ran back to the car and both fobs worked fine. I'm guessing it was some weird radio interference? Since I have changed the batteries in my main fob.

Anyway to my horror - both mechanical keys don't open/close the car and therefore are rubbish in an emergency!!

Anyone with the same problem?

The keys both work in the glove compartment and I'm only the second owner so I'm guessing it's a lock failure and not incorrect key blades. It's an estate so no keyhole in boot!

Thanks, Ross

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The key fob that you used could have an intermittent problem, you can check the key fob by testing into a camera. Do the metal keys turn in the locks.

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 27

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The mechanical keys are a pain to use due to so little leverage on them.
Your locks may be a little stiff, you'll need to turn the key a surprisingly long way before the door will unlock. At least they are turning in the lock, which indicates that the lock hasn't seized.

OP
R

Rosscam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde
The fob is working ok now

The mechanical key does turn really well - it goes just past 90 degrees, but still nothing happens...

Could it be the lock cylinder?

Thanks for the advice!

OP
R

Rosscam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI Avantgarde
Who's the best to look at that - lock smith or independent merc garage?

Top Bottom