Mega-MPG Figures? What engine is it I need.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
There is a possibility that later this year I will change jobs.

It will be for an improved work/life balance but will come with some downsides.

One of which will be having to give back my beloved EV company car!

The new job comes with a 42p per mile fuel allowance, and this will need to recover the cost of buying it, fuel, insurance, road tax etc etc etc

My problem is, my credit score is rubbish - so I will need to buy not finance it - and will have about 5k or so to spend.

I have seen some people post some pretty outstanding MPG's on here - in the 60's + - and having got used to spending practically nothing on fuel for a year - I begrudge £70 a time to fill a car!

There are no EV's that I can get for my budget that will do the miles I'll need to do a day - so I think I need a super-economical diesel.

I'd love a V8 - but it simply won't be viable......

So who's getting this stupid economy figures - and what engine do you have - I am assuming the 2.1 litre 250CDi ? - If that 's the case, are these Euro 6 compliant - and if so from what year - and I fear these may be beyond my budget, but I just want to check....

Thanks all.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Pretty much any newish 1.6 diesel engine will return well over 60 mpg without even trying, some like the Fiat JTDM will do 80+.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Circa what age Blobcat - I'd like to get a Euro 6 compliant as I will need to go into towns like Bristol and Bath and I don't know what the ULEZ zones there are going to do - I suspect however these might be over my budget.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'd be more than happy with 50+

I have seen people post 67 or into the 70's which is amazing!

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Dare I say it, but small capacity BMW 1 series diesels can give mega economy. Not a Merc, so apologies if that's what it must be?

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I probably want a C or E class Estate - although saying that I will probably be stupid and get an ML even though my common sense says get a C250!

BMW 1 series really doesn't appeal!

320D Coupe might though.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
My 2014 E class 220 uses ( on a good day) 7 itrs / 100 KLms...now it has to be said that its largely secondary country roads, with lots of hill driving, and ocassionally trailer work. I use the fill to fill method for checking the consumption, not the "Onboard Consumpotion" figures,.Now that the covid rules are being relaxed some what, I may get the chance to do some serious motorway driving, and see how that affects the consumption. On its service history, it's noted that the ecu's were "upgraded" to conform with emission standards, so I believe that this "upgrade" invariably means an increase in fuel consumption.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There is a possibility that later this year I will change jobs.

It will be for an improved work/life balance but will come with some downsides.

One of which will be having to give back my beloved EV company car!

The new job comes with a 42p per mile fuel allowance, and this will need to recover the cost of buying it, fuel, insurance, road tax etc etc etc

My problem is, my credit score is rubbish - so I will need to buy not finance it - and will have about 5k or so to spend.

I have seen some people post some pretty outstanding MPG's on here - in the 60's + - and having got used to spending practically nothing on fuel for a year - I begrudge £70 a time to fill a car!

There are no EV's that I can get for my budget that will do the miles I'll need to do a day - so I think I need a super-economical diesel.

I'd love a V8 - but it simply won't be viable......

So who's getting this stupid economy figures - and what engine do you have - I am assuming the 2.1 litre 250CDi ? - If that 's the case, are these Euro 6 compliant - and if so from what year - and I fear these may be beyond my budget, but I just want to check....

Thanks all.
Polo or Golf diesel. Or the SEAT or Skoda equivalents, but for my money the VW cars have better build quality. They’ll see you to 60mpg real world.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
My wife has a SLC250d 2016 over the last year its done 50mpg, plus £30 road tax. The last run to London 120miles it did 70mpg down & 67mpg back.
I am sure a C class with the same engine will be similar.

T5R+

Reaction score
OP - the only true way is brim-to-brim to appreciate a true MPG over any meaningful fact.
Sometimes see people post great figures over shortish run with warm components which for me is meaningless.

I cover approx 25K/annum and have found MB cars to return
# C220/W204 will return low 60s​
# E250/W212 will return low 50s
# E350/W212 will return mid/high 40s
reduce by approx 5MPG for winter time

If you fancy a V8/ML diesel then the ML450 will return 32MPG on a run (if you drive like a nun).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
My new-to-me 221 5.5 V8 has already returned 33mpg on a run… very impressed I must say.

Nicklas_Hidegard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220 Vclass
Tbh I think you may struggle to get a euro6 for less than 5k. Most of the above cars are either not euro6 or well over 5k. Search auto trader and in filters choose ULEZ only, max 5k and Mercedes. There are a few c class, 2009-2010 petrol. 1.6l engine and in the specs they will return 50mpg extra urban. No diesels as you'll need a 2014/15 or newer which is well over 5k.
Think there will have to be a compromise somewhere. How often will you be entering ULEZ zones?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Circa what age Blobcat - I'd like to get a Euro 6 compliant as I will need to go into towns like Bristol and Bath and I don't know what the ULEZ zones there are going to do - I suspect however these might be over my budget.
Late 2016 was mine £20 VED as well

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Are you expected to pay ULEZ (or similar fees) out of your 42p (not good it's not the max 45p) allowance?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
£5K on a eu6 MB is likely to leave you with a car that's seen it's best elsewhere.

Reliability is the biggy to my mind or it's useless, as best we can get reliable these days with the complexity under the bonnet, diesels especially. 60 / 70 / 80mpg means nowt if it's going to leave you stranded and / or waiting for parts.

I would keep it simple, possibly older, possibly petrol if post 2009.

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"I would keep it simple, possibly older, possibly petrol if post 2009."

Petrol may not work for me as likely annual business mileage will be 15k plus including significant motorway. I would have gone LPG a few years ago - but round here LPG fill sites are dropping off thick and fast - I now have a good 10-15 mins drive to the nearest whereas 5 years ago there were 4 within a mile or two

ULEZ (London) not an issue - but Bristol and Bath are desperately trying to go that way, so yes its something that worries me. I am looking at leasing an Electric car, which would be by far the most sensible thing, but sadly my credit score following a divorce will almost certainly prevent that. If I incurred a ULEZ fee I could claim it back as expenses - and sorry it's 45p a mile not 42p so that's good!

I think 2015 / 2016 Mercs will be way over budget for me so the RFL change in 2017 isn't relevant - so I will be looking around the turn of the decade (2010 ish) type cars. I have to say all my Mercs have been that kind of age, and surprisingly reliable (CLK270 CDi the notable exception).

I would like to get into the later shape C's and E's - I think 220 for the economy (was the 250 as economical ?? ) - and would like a Coupe for looks, but would probably be sensible and get estate..... Seen a few with 80k type mileages knocking on the £6-10k mark. If it was over that I'd somehow find the extra and go electric so it needs to be £6 - 8k really. Sadly knowing me I'll let my heart rule my head and stupidly get a 350 CDi !

I love the idea of an ML as it would be a real "do everything" vehicle. One of the reasons for the change of job is to get my weekends back - so I'd be caravanning / paddle boarding / boating doing all the things I'd like to do before I get too old to enjoy them - and the ML would do all that (although in fairness an E-Class estate may do pretty much all of them as well) - but whatever I buy will probably only be for a year or two until decent EV's came into budget.....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom