Mega-MPG Figures? What engine is it I need.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I know this is a controversial subject so I'll keep it brief.
I don't believe electric cars are the future.
IMHO hydrogen fuel cells will be the sustainable way forward.
But that's just my opinion based on gut feel.
Whatever happens MPG will become a thing of the past one day :(
They cannot get hydrogen fuel cells cost per unit power down low enough, with a unit specific power high enough to actually power a vehicle.

What IS happening however is that battery energy storage density, charging speed technology and cost per unit power ARE coming down to a point where they can be roadmapped out to be comparable with internal combustion engines.

Here is the U.K. official roadmap: https://www.apcuk.co.uk/app/uploads/2020/11/Technology-Roadmap-Electric-Machines.pdf

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
They cannot get hydrogen fuel cells cost per unit power down low enough, with a unit specific power high enough to actually power a vehicle.

What IS happening however is that battery energy storage density, charging speed technology and cost per unit power ARE coming down to a point where they can be roadmapped out to be comparable with internal combustion engines.

Here is the U.K. official roadmap: https://www.apcuk.co.uk/app/uploads/2020/11/Technology-Roadmap-Electric-Machines.pdf
It's too controversial to debate here.
Let's debate down the pub in 3 months time. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

And then there's the efficiency issues plus the fact most commercial hydrogen production involves cracking petrochemicals.
Generation from electricity is inefficient. Each time you change energy format (electricity to hydrogen to electricity) you lose efficiency. Far better to simply store the electricity in the first place.

For example electrolysis of water to generate hydrogen is 80% efficient at best. Hydrogen fuel cells are 60% efficient at best.
Batteries are 80% efficient for NiMH, 90% for lead acid and 99% for lithium.
Batteries are the obvious efficiency choice.

Top Bottom