Memory Seat Problem - 1999 S430

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had a 'short test' carried out (cost £28.75 including VAT if anyone is interested...) and it was very worthwhile. After deleting all of the stored faults, I'm left with two issues:

1) The steering wheel 'easy-entry' system has stopped working - I have tried adjusting the wheel to its end limits but this has not reset the problem. The mechanic thought it was switched on or off via a menu but I've looked in the manual and there is no option available.

2) The passenger memory seat does not function correctly. It could not be reset using STAR and the mechanic suggested that it was likely to be the seat module (£220 plus labour).

I''m not too worried about the easy-entry fault, but I would like to try to get the passenger memory seat working in order to get the car sold. All of the motors are OK but the switch that tilts the seat back is not working (and its operation can't be seen on STAR). It's not possible to set memory positions.

Does anyone have any experience of replacing this module and am I likely to be able to source one at a reasonable price? I wondered if it could be a problem with the module shorting out (I've heard about this problem before) and if the car is left unused for a couple of weeks the battery has been known to go flat - could this be related?

I wondered if disconnecting the battery might reset any of these problems? I'm nervous about doing this, as previously the car has been very unhappy about being driven for several days after reconnection (car does not like pulling at low revs/stalls etc.) Is this standard behavior and is there any technique to overcome this as it's very dangerous!

Any thoughts would be very helpful!

Thanks
Ian

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
I wonder if the two issues are related?
I.e. the door module controls the easy entry system and the memory function.

Not sure why your car doesn't like pulling away after battery re-connection.
That doesn't sound right to me.

someone clever wll be along soon.

mr. shr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W166
Ooopps!!
Just re-read your post and realised you said passenger side memory not working, so unlikely to be the same module that controls the east entry feature.

But if there was a fault with any of the modules, surely STAR would say which ones specifically?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is possible to get bad connections on the switch banks if any part is not working,,I would take it off and check it,it is more likely to be this than the module

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom