Merc 190E 2.3-16v saying hello

Rob Eggleshaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E 2.3-16 1986
It was my Father's from new, his pride and joy! Sadly, he passed last November and so I've taken it on.

Ciao to all,
Rob

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Hi Rob and commiserations on your loss. Seems like your father had good taste in cars.

I have a much more modern one (1989 2.5-16) and still enjoy it though it's currently having bits done to it, when I can actually get round to working on the thing.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum :)

OP
Rob Eggleshaw

Rob Eggleshaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E 2.3-16 1986
Yes, I'll have to dig them out! We're quite proud of it - it's in beautiful condition! I'll get them next time I'm home.

Thanks for the welcomes ..

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Rob...I’m in no way jealous...:eek:

OP
Rob Eggleshaw

Rob Eggleshaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E 2.3-16 1986
So, I've had a few issues with getting this going again. It has been sat in the garage for a while but now a new battery and a commitment to drive it a few times a week appears to have paid of and it's running a treat again!

I must say, I'm totally smitten by this car. It runs like an old thoroughbred - you know there's poke there if you were to demand it, however, it's better to take it easy and simply cruise around. And then there's the little niggles and squeaks* etc but it smells nice, and it makes you smile...

* the oil temp dial might not work
the sunroof flap doesn't rise hence the sunroof rattles a bit of open full
the fuses need tweaking now and again otherwise the wiper won't work or the dash lights drop
the radio code is long lost
the auto gearbox is slow
the brakes feel soft
the seats squeak
the alloys need a refurb
there's a small amount of rust in a couple of places

But you have to remember, this is a 30+ year old car - this is classic motoring! Who needs a radio when you can hear the engine?

The old man would be happy that I'm feeling this way :)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
So, I've had a few issues with getting this going again. It has been sat in the garage for a while but now a new battery and a commitment to drive it a few times a week appears to have paid of and it's running a treat again!

I must say, I'm totally smitten by this car. It runs like an old thoroughbred - you know there's poke there if you were to demand it, however, it's better to take it easy and simply cruise around. And then there's the little niggles and squeaks* etc but it smells nice, and it makes you smile...

* the oil temp dial might not work
the sunroof flap doesn't rise hence the sunroof rattles a bit of open full
the fuses need tweaking now and again otherwise the wiper won't work or the dash lights drop
the radio code is long lost
the auto gearbox is slow
the brakes feel soft
the seats squeak
the alloys need a refurb
there's a small amount of rust in a couple of places

But you have to remember, this is a 30+ year old car - this is classic motoring! Who needs a radio when you can hear the engine?

Is the code the last 4 digits of the serial number? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe

* the oil temp dial might not work: Possibly the sensor in the side of the sump, though they do take a while to show temps.
the sunroof flap doesn't rise hence the sunroof rattles a bit of open full: Can't help but a strip and lube is what I'd try first.
the fuses need tweaking now and again otherwise the wiper won't work or the dash lights drop: Give the fuse box a good clean.
the radio code is long lost: Your friendly local ICE shop should be able to help.
the auto gearbox is slow: Fluid and filter change if you have no history of it being done. My box is pretty quick.
the brakes feel soft: Pedal should be solid, check the system over fully for leaks.
the seats squeak: Turn the radio up. Oh...
the alloys need a refurb: Worth doing on one of these cars.
there's a small amount of rust in a couple of places: Get it sorted out as soon as you can. Nothing kills the 190 quicker than rust and, if left unchecked, it won't take long to get a hold.

But you have to remember, this is a 30+ year old car - this is classic motoring! Who needs a radio when you can hear the engine seats squeaking? Fixed. :)

Hi Rob,

My replies/suggestions against your list. I've just spent the last three months underneath mine, trying to get it ready to put back on the road next month. Still a way to go but worth it in the end...

Gratuitous picture: -

NS Rear cleaned.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Carefully polish the fuse holder contact with a dremel and fit brass fuses as opposed to aluminium ones (available from Marine chandlers) - assuming of course yours are the 'continental' or 'ceramic' fuses (both the same thing).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Rob,

My replies/suggestions against your list. I've just spent the last three months underneath mine, trying to get it ready to put back on the road next month. Still a way to go but worth it in the end...

View attachment 42190
That does look nice Dave, a credit to you :)

OP
Rob Eggleshaw

Rob Eggleshaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E 2.3-16 1986
Thanks for the replies gents. I'll take them on board - the radio is not the original (which was some German languaged one if I recall, on the decals - not out the speakers haha!) but as suggested, I'll take it to someone who knows about these things.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you want a radio thats modern but looks the part look at the Continental range (VDO) or the Kenwood kdc-bt710dab.
The latter has a lot of audio setup options and is very good on handsfree (though there is a bug in the phone book) and the colour can be made to match the dash perfectly.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
That does look nice Dave, a credit to you :)

Thanks Andy, that was actually taken yesterday but I wasn't too happy with it so clayed, polished and put a sealant on it again today, wax can wait till tomorrow.

Because.

OP
Rob Eggleshaw

Rob Eggleshaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E 2.3-16 1986
If you want a radio thats modern but looks the part look at the Continental range (VDO) or the Kenwood kdc-bt710dab.
The latter has a lot of audio setup options and is very good on handsfree (though there is a bug in the phone book) and the colour can be made to match the dash perfectly.

Interesting... How does the dab work with the existing set-up? Well?

OP
Rob Eggleshaw

Rob Eggleshaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E 2.3-16 1986
Hi Rob,

View attachment 42190

Now you've got me thinking I need to get buffing this weekend!! Looks minto...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting... How does the dab work with the existing set-up? Well?
I bought a stick on aerial for the front windscreen (its in an r129 and another in my 210) and it does work very well. On my 40 mile cross country commute there are two areas it drops out but otherwise perfect reception.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom