Merc C180 Sport - Please Help re Camshaft Sprocket

podmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 c200 komp,2002 audi a4 2.5tdi
did they tell you what was the cause of this valve damage? like maybe a worn chain or faulty tensioner?im having this problem myself and in the prosses of changing the chain

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
Yes they said that the chain had jumped which could be due to me not gettin an oil change something like that. I will find out for defo this afternoon and let you know in better detail.

Jen

podmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 c200 komp,2002 audi a4 2.5tdi
right,seems like i had the same problem as you though i have done the repairs my self,after fitting 8 new inlet valves and then trying to re time it the chain kept jumping,having then replaced the chain this has now cured the jumping chain so the chain must of been worn or streched,i recomend changing the chain as if they re do the valves then try to re start your car you could have the same problem all over again,as for lack of oil change i cant see this been the cause

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
Podmo thanks for this advice, I will check with them today for an update see what's happening now.

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
I am so angry!! My car has been in for a wee today and its still not been worked on everytime I call the garage I get palmed off till another day!! The engine has been stripped and they are "short staffed" and apparently as the bill is £500 at the moment for tyres, sensors, oil filter, labour etc and we havent paid it upfront then he has to deal with the paying customers first!!! Even though my car is still undriveable!! I dont know why the hell the put new tyres on the car and oil filter etc you would think it makes more sense to try and root the problem of the timing belt jumping teeth etc!!!! They have not gave me an estimate yet for the work done on the engine, they said they have stripped the engine and took the head off and replaced 6 of my valves as they were bent! I think they are taking the p*ss out of me to be honest does anyone agree?? I have paid them £200 so far but to be honest I am peed off and reluctant to pay them anymore until they are straight with me!!

Jen

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will need the new chain Jen for sure

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I am confused Malcolm dont know what you mean?

From other post it would seem that the sprockets are OK and it is only the timing chain and any damaged valves that need to be replaced

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
Do you think they are taking the p*ss out me then? I am going down tonight to say to them if I pay them upfront then can they make my car priority? I am sick of it to be honest they keep palming me off constantly!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you think they are taking the p*ss out me then? I am going down tonight to say to them if I pay them upfront then can they make my car priority? I am sick of it to be honest they keep palming me off constantly!!

Problem was there was that underlying question,,what caused it,,and they could be just nervous.. it has been shown here now that the chain only was the cause

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
you said they fitted an "Air Mass Meter" (MAF sensor) and a Camshaft Sensor

worth finding out if fitting a new Camshaft Sensor needs removing the Timing Chain

if yes you could be asking - were the valves already bent or was it the business of fitting the new Camshaft Sensor that resulted in a Timing Chain misalignment, and subsequent valve damage

presumably they read engine computer error codes to discover what sensors to replace, do they have an error code printout to show you, would not seven bent valves show up some pretty definitive error codes

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These are all on the front of the engine,,no chain off

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
Ok so the garage read error codes, which presumably gave them the clues to change MAF, Camshaft Sensor, Plugs etc then when engine still would not run properly they checked the Timing Chain

Seems like they were doing a good job then.... but wouldn't seven bent valves be making a lot of noise?

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
Having done numerous engine re-builds, and a few lately due to broken or "jumped" timing belts / chains (last one an 08 V/Haul Corsa,) I find it difficult to believe that given the number of "bent" valves on this engine that it was driven in to this garage? how was this possible? The corsa with 3 bent valves was totally undriveable - so how was this car driven to the garage? did the garage possibly cause the damage in the first place by dithering about cranking the engine when they shouldn't have? definately something not right with this. As to spending time on your engine, they are probably turning over money making services and quick repairs all day so won't want to waste time on an engine rebuild.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I am so angry!! My car has been in for a wee today and its still not been worked on everytime I call the garage I get palmed off till another day!! The engine has been stripped and they are "short staffed" and apparently as the bill is £500 at the moment for tyres, sensors, oil filter, labour etc and we havent paid it upfront then he has to deal with the paying customers first!!! Even though my car is still undriveable!! I dont know why the hell the put new tyres on the car and oil filter etc you would think it makes more sense to try and root the problem of the timing belt jumping teeth etc!!!! They have not gave me an estimate yet for the work done on the engine, they said they have stripped the engine and took the head off and replaced 6 of my valves as they were bent! I think they are taking the p*ss out of me to be honest does anyone agree?? I have paid them £200 so far but to be honest I am peed off and reluctant to pay them anymore until they are straight with me!!

Jen

I am slightly confused. Is the car in your original garage or at Merparts? You really need to get the car to someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
I went down last night and disputed my case that I am gettin treated unfairly as my car has been in 14 days and all they have done is prepared my car for an MOT and left me with a £500 and the car still not road worthy!! I told them that I came into the garage on the first basis with a car that would not start and right there and then they should have tried to identify the problem with the engine and try and give me an estimate and then try and repair it when all they did was put new tyres on my car, oil filter, sensors etc! He said that it will be fixed for Wednesday, if it aint fixed by Wednesday I will tell them that I want them to get the car engine put back together and to give me a list and receipts for all the parts that have entered my car and also a list of error codes to let me see what errors were showing up cos you are right this doesnt add up and also I will be contacting local newspapers etc and passing on this word to friends and family.

OP
J

jennifer1424

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport 1.8 Petrol
I called the garage and now they are saying that they have renewed 8 of my valves on the right hand side because they were out of sink due to the timing chain jumping teeth and were turning the engine by hand and accidentally bent another valve. He said that the chain has touched the pistons and bent the valve!! He said he is waiting on another valve tom morning to replace it and try turning the engine by hand again and hope it starts! He said the tensioner is fine and guide is fine.

Does this make sense to anyone?? I really dont know where I am going with this but I am sick of it as I feel as if they are trying to palm me off with alot of rubbish!! I also asked them to give me a print out of the error codes so I can see what was actually up with the car in the first instance!! He said that the other mechanic who coincidentally is away to America had them! So I will keep on top of it and have to call them tom afternoon for an update.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
He said that the chain has touched the pistons and bent the valve!! Does this make sense to anyone??

Short answer - no.

This seems to be going around in an ever decreasing spiral. Jennifer - the chain is at the front of the engine and seprated from the pistons by a little thing called the engine block, so no way can it get aywhere near the pistons.

Are you a member of the AA or RAC? I belive they can get involved if requested - you are being given a crock of sh*t and it's about time to draw it to a conclusion.

:(:(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom