merc C250 TD - slight overheating

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi

On my E300td the bi-metalic strip is on the back of the viscous clutch. The viscous clutch for anybody that doesn't know is fitted between the waterpump pulley and the fan. C250TD i imagine would be the same. I fitted a new viscous clutch and it doesnt click in as described. (the electro-magnetic clutches click in).

One thing i found was that the new viscous fan would be engaged in the mornings at cold start up during the summer. Probably fan engages when car heated up after stopping and then was still engaged for a while after start up from cold the next morning. Dis-engaged shortly after getting out of first gear though.

Hope this helps

You are not correct, all bi metal strips click, that's what your electric iron does as it maintains the set temperature, it clicks each time..

It is clearly stated in WIS when it says listen for the click, when the fan should speed up.

When an engine is turned off the heat will head towards the outside of the water components, due to thermal runaway. Cars with electric rad fans have a warning notice saying that the fans can start up after the engine has been turned off

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Malcolm

Never heard the viscous clutch "Click" in have heard electro magnetic clutches click.

Nothing i said is wrong. It is based on experience, not reading!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and thanks but i know how a bi-metalic strip works thank you.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>all bi metal strips click

No they don't! - it depends upon the application.

Do the bi-metal strips in thermo-time switches, warm up regulators and auxiliary air valves click?

230K is making much more sense. Is it possible that the text in WIS is out of context?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>all bi metal strips click

No they don't! - it depends upon the application.

Do the bi-metal strips in thermo-time switches, warm up regulators and auxiliary air valves click?

Thermo time switches do click, but you cannot hear them due to where they are situated and the strip is so small and encapsulated You amaze me when you talk of aux air valves, they slowly close to be fully closed at 70C.
230K is making much more sense. Is it possible that the text in WIS is out of context?

230K always makes more sense than me, and as for WIS without it I am sure that you know that on some engines the visco fan also cuts at an engine speed of 3850 rpm, but of coarse you know all about that.

Yes I have been rumbled again, I am a fake and know nothing about cars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
HI

LOL this is getting heated (excuse the pun)

To settle the argument i could heat my old viscous clutch with the blowtorch and see if it clicks, thats if i havent thrown it out. I think it was the oil leaking from it that was its demise rather than any problem with the bi-metalic strip.

(basking in 25 deg heat in Ukraine, you could not upset me today!!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
HI

LOL this is getting heated (excuse the pun)

To settle the argument i could heat my old viscous clutch with the blowtorch and see if it clicks, thats if i havent thrown it out. I think it was the oil leaking from it that was its demise rather than any problem with the bi-metalic strip.

(basking in 25 deg heat in Ukraine, you could not upset me today!!)

it is not getting heated at all, and no one has ever said that the bi metal strip ever fails.

The weather down here by the sea is 22c right now so not bad either, enjoy your vacation, are your lovely children with you ? or a business trip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
No vacation, it is a Business Trip. Get to see the kids on Good Friday night.

Thanks,

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom