merc e class w211 vibration problem

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
hi i have recently bought a mercedes e320 cdi avantgarde on a 2003 plate the w211 model, the milage on ar is 88000 and afull service service history came with car, its a stunning car but i have noticed whilst driving at low speeds or high the car starts vibrating or shaking nothing too serious but its starting to get to me, the tyres seem ok although rears will need replacing soon. also there is a worn link bar/bars on front struts but i dont think this is causing the vibrating as the whole car seems to vibrate with little or no steering wheel vibration, the vibrations last for a few seconds then go away (like somethings out of balance).

i would be grateful if somebody could give some advice as i like this car very much & as yet have to experience the smooth ride promised by manufacturers. :confused:

regards

boxer
;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, the valeo problem where glycol gets into the gear box causes a humming or droning when pulling lightly in top at engine RPM of between 1400 and 250 RPM

Tyre balance you would not feel under 30-40 MPH and worse at 60-70 MPH.

The car is too new to be a prop shaft fault unless a coupling has split

OP
B

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
hi malcolm, can you expand on this valeo problem & what can be done to rectify it, also i would like to point out that as opposed to a hum or adrone it is more of a juddering or a vibrating.
regards
boxer

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Valeo problem is where the glycol from a leak in the rad has gone into the gearbox cooler. this raises the faces of the clutches within. The first thing to do is to go to an MB garage and ask for a glycol test to be done

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
hi malcolm, can you expand on this valeo problem & what can be done to rectify it, also i would like to point out that as opposed to a hum or adrone it is more of a juddering or a vibrating.
regards
boxer

judder/vibration is probably nothing more serious than wheel balance/tracking. Worth having a glycol test done as Malcolm says and also check if you have a Valeo radiator and if you do, get it replaced as a precaution but it sounds like a simple balance issue to me.
E classes are very suseptible to this. My 210 was and the 211 is no different. I've noticed on mine from time to time that if I look over to the passenger seat at 80 whilst the car feels fine through the wheel, the seat back is vibrating. I get it sorted for a while but generally have to get the balancing redone every 6 months or so as the tyres wear and it gets worse. A few months back I found it was fine at 60-85 but pushed over 100 (I had a sudden urge to demonstrate to a bumper hugging focus that he was playing out of his league), it nearly took my fillings out.
I've come across tyre fitters that don't see the need to balance rear tyres. This may be true on FWD cars but mercs NEED all 4 doing. Also check they know what they're doing. I've lost count of the number of fitters I've had to ask to stop as they made a complete hash of the balancing.

OP
B

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
hi malcolm i was reading some intresting info on the valeo issue the more i read the more convinced i am that i have the same problem. i would be grateful if you could send me some info. on rad fitting and if i should keep on driving the car whilst this problem is still present.
regards
boxer

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you can still drive the car if it is the problem,, it will be the torque converter that will need to be changed as well

hattaz

Reaction score
Yes you can still drive the car if it is the problem,, it will be the torque converter that will need to be changed as well

television

How it cost to change the torque converter. any idea?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most indies change the rad and torque converter for £1300

OP
B

boxer 01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI SPORT
hi everybody just got my car back from an indie fitted new rad flushed & renewed atf seems to have solved the problem although still getting a bit of vibration when doing 80 but overall a satisfactory outcome. i would like to thank all members who have helped solve this problem. i forgot to mention to start the ball rolling i got a glycol test done which came back positive.thanks again
regards
boxer

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pleased that its OK I do not think that the 80 mph is the same thing and that will be wheel balance

N4D5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi sport (55)
Hi guys,

Without starting a new thread, i thought i would pick up from this old one.

I have had trouble free motoring since i had bought my car. Only a few weeks ago i noticed very slight vibration at very low speeds, once i increase in speed it went away. Also noticed it on start up loads of vibration car shaking this does not happen all the time however, i also when i kick down to pick speed up sometimes i get a hard jerk with a light sound.....I have now read a few threads and it seems i may have a valeo problem. Unless you guys can suggest something else i should be looking at.

My question is how long can i drive the car in this condition before it does any damage. I would be getting this checked and then fixed later but cant afford it right now. Should i be worried and get it repaired straight away.

Also is this a common problem on these, i was told they were bullet proff when i bought it. :D

Also in today's market what sort of price am i looking at a fix from a local indie.

Thanks
Nad

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Havent seen many of these issues on 55 plates, but I have seen them. You need to get it into an indie for these checks to be done, sounds like a TC issue you have but it could also be something else!!

N4D5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi sport (55)
Havent seen many of these issues on 55 plates, but I have seen them. You need to get it into an indie for these checks to be done, sounds like a TC issue you have but it could also be something else!!

Apologies its late and im having a dumb moment TC meaning traction control right or something else.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apologies its late and im having a dumb moment TC meaning traction control right or something else.

TC =Torque Converter , this is the part coupled to the engine flywheel the converts the torque of the engine into a usable force to propel the car

N4D5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi sport (55)
TC =Torque Converter , this is the part coupled to the engine flywheel the converts the torque of the engine into a usable force to propel the car

How long could i continue with this problem before it did serious damage. Is it s must to get it corrected straight away, or can i drag it out a little.

Thanks
Nad

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom