1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merc E320 CDI Stuck in second gear

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by mr unhappy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. mr unhappy

mr unhappy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 2002 diesel
    Hiya, I hope you are all having a good day. This is my first post but I have looked at the forum before. But like others I have an issue with my Merc.
    OK here is the story. I bought this car from an auction in the dark in the rain, yes I know a perfect place to view a car! and buy one. Sold as seen.

OK the problem I have with the car is that it seems to be stuck in second gear.
    You drive the car and it and the maximum you can get out of the car is 40mph at 3000 rpm. I am assuming it is second gear? 40mph?

When you rev the car in park position it will go to 4500rpm and more but you move the lever to neutral and it will be restricted to 3000 rpm. The battery in the car is not very good and I have to charge it twice to start it.

There are not any warning lights on in the dash and the oil level seems to be fine in the gear box. Could this be stuck in limp mode ?as I read somewhere on this forum.That when the battery falls below a certain level. The car reverts to limp mode. And if so how do I get it out of limp mode. Any help would much be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

2. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    Probably a knackered battery with a crank voltage of less than 9.6v not powering up the ECU or a electro plate on the valve body.

STAR diagnosis test is the first place to start but if you have any undervoltage fault codes then the suspect will be the battery. The ECU will have to be reset once the battery is replaced.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    If the car is ok after a re start then probably the battery,,, but if stuck all the time then the speed sensor failed on the speed plate

4. OP
    mr unhappy

mr unhappy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 2002 diesel
    Thanks for the replies. It was going ok on the motorway when I first drove it as I would have realised I was only doing 40mph. But since then the battery has failed to start the car as in not turn it over.The day after I bought it. Then when the battery is charged the car starts ok but remains in this 40mph max mode. There is no noises in the gear box, reverse works fine. Plus when I first drove it on the motorway the cruise control was working correctly but now when I try it, it says speedtronic visit workshop ? Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    Get a new battery on it and clear the fault codes. Everything will probably be fine after that.

6. television

Your Mercedes:
    ECP have some bargain prices on batteries right now

7. BAZZER1

BAZZER1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
    As Malcolm suggests get a new Battery and if the problems persists, get it on a Star Test which should give you a realistic idea what the fault is.
    Welcome to the Forum
    Best Regards
    BAZZER1

8. OP
    mr unhappy

mr unhappy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 2002 diesel
    Thanks for all the useful advice I will try a new battery. Someone suggested just disconnect the battery and re connect it? I will keep you up dated thanks again.

9. toby1

toby1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1998 CL420 C140
    Waste of time if the battery's had it.

10. BAZZER1

BAZZER1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
    As Toby said, waste of time if the Battery is knackered, get a new one from ECP as they have some good prices at the moment, just make sure the new Battery is suitable for your make and model ie the Cranking Amps are correct and is suitable for Air Con , this will make a huge difference if you get this correct.
    BAZZER1

11. television

Your Mercedes:
    If the battery is that low in terms of voltage, then many fault codes may be stored in the box ECU that only has a tiny memory, it would need STAR to remove them

12. OP
    mr unhappy

mr unhappy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320 2002 diesel
    Hiya. Thanks to all. Cleared the fault codes and it seems to be going a little better.:)

13. plumberuk

plumberuk Member

Your Mercedes:
    c200/1998/1998
    my c200 has done the same thing, i was told it could be an electrical connection to the auto box(full of oil) which on examination it was, cant say if this will fix it as i'm still waiting for the part with the failed seal.:lol: