Merc & iPhone pairing solution.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Alex, you're going to need the Mercedes media cable too as mentioned in post 10 (which would have been supplied when your car was new)and like
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/142153021399?_mwBanner=1
What you have bought is a short cable you could use as an adapter 30 pin to lightning although you can buy them as a straight adapter too which is what the poster above has ordered ( and what I used in my 212)http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter
Sorry I hope that's described it adequately and understandably - it's a bit complicated !
Thanks. Yes, I think I have two of those cables that you directed me to on eBay, they're already in the glove box.
The thirty pin adapter with the wire is better for me I think, because I can hopefully, if it's long enough, reach the COMMAND screen area with my phone and just rest the phone there.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Then I think you're set Alex, fingers crossed!
I forget some people like to see their phone display, personally I put mine where it connects , be it the centre arm rest or the glove box. If working correctly you'll see all you need on your Comand screen...

Last edited:
OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Then I think you're set Alex, fingers crossed!
I forget some people like to see their phone display, personally I put mine where it connects , be it the centre arm rest or the glove box. If working correctly you'll see all you need on your Comand screen...
Yeah, but I like to see YouTube videos while I'm driving, I don't stare at it, but I like to be able to glance occasionally.

iconnolly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Thats the one...once its genuine apple?? The cheap copies do not work - as i have learned!!

That cable that you bought however needs to connect to the media cable in your glove box as noted above.

OP
Alex240

Alex240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 Agantgarde
Just a quick update. I got my 30pin to lightning adaptor, plugged it in, it works. The only thing is, I don't really want to have my iPhone stuck in the glove box while I'm in the car, because it's necessary to use Apple maps sometimes. So I tried my iPhone 5s, which has all my playlists on it, that I can happily shut in the glove box, leaving my active phone free to use. At first the COMAND screen was saying "device not compatible" even though it seemed to connect to the 5s immediately via Bluetooth.
Anyway, I'm not sure why, but I went and tried again later and it worked. So I can now have my active iPhone 6s Plus connected via Bluetooth for hands free calling and navigation, while the 5s sits in the glove box playing my music which I can use with the COMAND controls. Playlists & albums etc all show up on the COMAND screen. So for now I'm all set it seems. The only thing is that the iPhone 5s does not charge while it's connected in the glove box, so I'll have to keep removing it to charge.

Last edited:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
You would be better to buy a 64gb USB stick.
Copy playlists to that.

Also, if you go into the service menu on Comand you can activate bluetooth audio streaming. However, depending on the firmware version you may lose bluetooth for calls, it is one or the other up to a certain firmware.
But try it.

Also, if you have the proper media adapter you can buy a tune2air dongle that will connect via bluetooth as well and is meant to give you everything on screen as if the phone was connected via cable.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Oh, if you do get a usb stick or sd card for the media cable, if you use a mac use an app called Hidden Cleaner to eject the stick when you have filled it with photos, this will get rid of the hidden osx files that Comand sees. It just keeps it all clean when you are viewing your playlists.

Top Bottom