Merc over BMW?

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
To go back to the original question ....................

My son has a BMW 535i M Tech / M Sport (2001) I drove it for some 6 months on a daily basis WHILST DRIVING IT I thought it was the Dogs Doo Dars...

Then I got my E Class (Almost the same year) 2000 Different drive altogether more "Relaxing" & Pleasurable than the BMW

The BMW "Seems" "BOXY" squared off & "MEAN" whereas the Merc seems Laid Back & Sort of "hey it's a merc I'm going somewhere & I'm gonna enjoy getting there" type of drive

If you wanna be Mean & Growl at People get a BMW if you wanna just cruise along & get there when you said you'd get there ............Get a Merc

OP
O

oceanblue1

Reaction score
In answer to the question whether I also looked at the BMW forum - Yes!

It is actually quite funny as they have alot of Merc bashing as well :) Some of them are really extreme!

This is abit like a Oxford and Cambridge boat race but the competition will only benefit us consumers :)

However, I don't know whether I am stereotyping but the general atmosphere over at BMW forums, is as hooded claw says "mean & growl"

you do get the impression that there is alot of boy racers there, all very macho and stuff

well you guys have sold it to me, I am going with a Merc :) I like the sophistication and laid back personality of the car and the forum :) but all my dithering meant that the one I saw at a good price - 220 Cdi is sold :(

oh well, the search goes on ...

st13phil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220CDI
Personally, I'd forget the CLC. It's a nice enough car, but it isn't as good to drive as the W204 C-Class because - as others have already said - it's built on the W203 platform. The interior is W203 rather than W204 and it also has a more limited resale market. There are lots of late W204's around at the moment because MB needed to move lots of metal around 6-9 months ago so they went into rental & courtesy fleets. This means good deals are about if you look for them.

An auto will be a nicer car to drive and be easier to sell in a few years time, although the W204 manual is pleasant enough. Even with hill-start assist, the foot operated parking brake is a pain in the manual. Elegance spec is much nicer than SE and worth the modest additional cost. You may not think things like rain-sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, electrically folding mirrors, improved instrument cluster and 12-button steering wheel are that important until you've had them and go back to a car without. They make the driving experience much nicer in subtle ways.

Regarding servicing, I'd stay in the main dealer network until the car is at least 3 years old. Inchcape group (for example) offer fixed-price servicing which is a little more pricy than indie's, but not by as much as you may think. By the time you factor in the cost of recovery insurance because Mobilo lapses as soon as you move outside the main dealer network for servicing the cost difference is minimal, or may even favour the main dealer. Rightly or wrongly, a full MB Main Dealer history on a three or four year-old car is pretty much essential to get the best resale value.

The 3-Series can be a nice car (depending upon spec) but depreciation is higher. The ride isn't as plush as the W204 - it's absolutely appalling if fitted with sports supension & runflats - and other drivers won't let you out of junctions like they will if you have a 3-pointed star on the front of your car ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Wise man Oceanblue1 the roads are now far too busy for boy racers,,so you will get there in style, and at the same time, and in good comfort.

Congralulations :D:D can we go off topic now please :D

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
We've got an E200 (1998) and a BMW Z3 (1999) so both about the same age.

The 210 is a good one in that it doesn't appear to be plagued by the rust usually found on this model - in fact there's no real visible rust at all although there is some just starting around the leading edge of the back wheel arches.

The Z3 is completely rust free.

Both cars feel very solid and well built. Neither of the cars is top-of-the-range so there's lots of missing switches but in the MB you don't see any cheap blanking plates where a switch 'could' be. It appears that a different centre console is made for every possible variation with or without holes for switches.

The BMW, on the other hand, has a ton of little cheap blanking plates in the centre console where a switch would be on the upper end models.

That really bugs me about the BMW.

merc7

Reaction score
Why people with BMW feel intimidated with the presence of merc,sometimes i have a good laugh we i see them secretly peeking at the car,or sometimes blank it out?!,on coming road or next lane traffic lights:D:lol:

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
Why people with BMW feel intimidated with the presence of merc,sometimes i have a good laugh we i see them secretly peeking at the car,or sometimes blank it out?!,on coming road or next lane traffic lights:D:lol:

Are you sure they're blanking it out ? Maybe they're just not bothered.

What I mean is that MB and BMW are at similar price points so I'm guessing that anyone driving a BMW would have been able to afford an MB but chose the BMW so I don't think they're secretly yearning for an MB or feel intimidated by them.

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I know (at least I hope) part of this thread is tongue in cheek. If not, there are some people out there that really need to get out more (perhaps less!).

BMW is a good make. Different advertising perspective for sure with most of the BMW "main line" models to MB. From personal experience with dealers, which is purely circumstantial, ie where I live, BMW dealers knock MB dealers into a cocked hat. Better service set up, no question.

I've had BMW 635 Csi (old model), 750 iL, 740, 840 and 645 (new model). I've also had MB 500SEC, 300E, SL500 and currently SL55. My favourite by a country mile is the current SL.

I don't think either make is "better" than the other. They are different, that's all. I've had way more problems with MB cars that BMW. Maybe bad luck, maybe elements of bad design (and there are plenty of instances of that) but despite that, I currently prefer MB.

Anyone who seriously believes drivers of BMW (or other) cars are "intimidated" by a MB has a strange outlook on life. Sure, people equate MB with high price but that, my friends, is a matter of buyers' choice and size of chequebook and not one of being "better".

Maybe I've gone off on a tangent myself, but I drive the car I have because I like it - I think it looks nice, goes quickly, has good toys - I couldn't really care less what badge is stuck on the bonnet! :D:D

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
An auto will be a nicer car to drive and be easier to sell in a few years time, although the W204 manual is pleasant enough. Even with hill-start assist, the foot operated parking brake is a pain in the manual. Elegance spec is much nicer than SE and worth the modest additional cost. You may not think things like rain-sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, electrically folding mirrors, improved instrument cluster and 12-button steering wheel are that important until you've had them and go back to a car without. They make the driving experience much nicer in subtle ways.

I do agree that an auto is much better and easier to drive and people seem to expect a Mercedes to be automatic don't they.

Although I like the Elegance spec I do prefer the Avantgarde as I think it's got a more modern look to it. I prefer all the lovely brushed aluminium to the more old fashioned looking wood trim. I also like the Sports Pack option, but have no idea if they do it in the model you are looking at.

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
I have a BMW and a Merc, the BMW makes me grin everytime I drive it, a great car!! and the Merc makes me feel a bit special when I drive it, 2 different cars and I like them both!!

merc7

Reaction score
I remember few years back went to the BMW dealership to have a look,got chatting to manager of the branch as it happens ,he asked me if i wanted to buy BMW that time i was pretty certain in my mind i was going to buy MB so i told him of my intention he laughed he said we gave-up targeting MB customer we aim at the Audi owners and left it at that:p

exbmbloke

Reaction score
Ex BMW driver new to MB

Well as the title says I'm new to MB and hence this forum. I gave BMW the opportunity to sell me a 3 series (320d M Sport), after 2 reasonably happy years with a 120d SE.
I've had a few issues with BMW.

The condition based servicing was expensive..over £700 in 2 years (excluding tyres). I had issues with the clutch (replaced under warranty) and a very poor gear change down the box, but they could never find a problem. :confused:

So after being ignored by BMW I looked at the Lexus IS220d; it was pleasant enough and well equipped in SE guise; the dealership was fantastic, but the deal was poor.

I noticed that MB were doing some great deals on the W204 so popped in for a test drive. I drove a C220 CDI auto and loved it.

I am now the proud owner of a 2 week old C250 CDI Sport auto in fabulous Tenorite Grey with the AMG wheels upgrade.

Fantastic:D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Welcome to the forums!

Nice Car, sounds great!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And welcome from me,,a very nice car you have chosen there
:D:D

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
A hearty welcome from me too, let's hope your dealer experience will be better with MB. Which dealer are you using?

exbmbloke

Reaction score
I'm using Mercedes Benz at Pride Park Derby...very friendly not too pushy and willing to negotiate.

They've also agreed never to wash the car if they have it.....I've had very bad experiences with some dealers who use complete idiots with dirty kit to clean the cars.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom