Mercedes 190D 2.5 320K miles, noise at inlet like exhaut blown

webfish

Reaction score
Please if anyone can assist. I have a 1992 2.5D 190, with 1 owner FSH, great car bought in Jan 2009 for £375 and then passed MOT in Aug with no work needed. Superb vehicle. Now done approx 320K miles, but clocks changed a few times, noted in history from Mercedes, so could be 350K miles if I could work it all out. Over the last few moths, a noise has got worse. When you rev in neutral (manual) you can hear the noise form the area of the air filter/power steering reservoir. Not on idle only on Rev and changing gear. Kwik Fit say it is not exhaust as it is on the other side.

Noise is very like a blown exhaust noise, in a multi storey car park, sounds like a Subaru, or truck !!!!!

As an aside have started to experiment on LIDL rapeseed oil at 93 p a litre. Have taken it form about 50/50 to now 80 percent rapeseed, runs great, smells like a popcorn machine gone wrong. Noise has been there since before I used this, so not related, but just in case anyone wanted info on a live experiment on SVO.

Regards Dug dug@coutts.org.uk think there are vids of car at you tube under lossiemouth den or letheron wheel

Were these cars amongst the best ever made ?? I have a had a few 190, mainly 190e, and a 2 litre D, never seem to need much at MOT, and still drive like newer cars, even with this mileage.

Last edited:

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 208D T1 van 1989
Hello webfish,

To eliminate the exhaust system,have the car running and place the palm of your hand over the tail pipe. If the exhaust is in sound condition,the pressure should lift your hand off the exhaust pipe,if not listen for gases escaping from any joints etc.

Try disconnecting the air intake at the inlet manifold,to see if this makes a difference.

Can you post a video of the noise to help us. You have a good long and lasting car there. Keep us posted on the rapeseed oil.

Adrian.

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
190D noise

Adrian,
Many thanks, will post a video today to you tube under lossiemouth den, and tag as 'mercedes forum' Regards Dug

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
The only way you could have compression noises on the intake side are either the head gasket is blowing to the outside or an inlet valve is leaking back into the inlet manifold.
Remove the manifold and run the engine and listen and look for blowback.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Get down to a Bookers cash and carry.

Ktc veg oil is £14.69 for 20 litres,each 20 litres you buy saves you £9.95 on diesel priced at £1.23 a litre.

I have sent you a Pm concerning how to get into Bookers

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
190D Veggie

Many thanks, thats about 73 p a litre, much cheapness quality goodness, many many thanks again. :lol:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Another thought is if the car has an EGR system check it is properly connected at the intake end.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Sounds like a Subaru, or truck has me thinking that it is sucking air from the inlet side of engine rather than through the filter.

Remove the air filter cover and the filter and check the air box mounting is secure

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
Noisy intake

Folks, many thanks to all who have replied, it is very much appreciated. I have posted a video on you tube under 'Mercedes Forum 190 Diesel' or you can find under 'Elgin Radio' It should be uploaded about 11:00 am today 3rd May.

I took the air filter cover off, and removed the filter, was very noisy then.

Regards

Dug

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
Nosiy intake

Could it be that it is not air related, but a drive problem, timing chain or similar, as it vibrates a lot when you rev, at the air filter side of the engine. It is hard to tell where the noise is coming form but with the air filter off and someone revving, the noise sounded bad, not sure where the chain is located.

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Dug,

Just had a look at your video on Youtube,and i would say that the noise is a vibration from the radiator cowling/air filter box area. Have your assistant slowly raise the revs up till the vibration is at a constant pitch,then hold the revs,then touch various parts until you find the source of the noise (mind your fingers on moving parts).

Your timing chain is located at the front of the engine. The only thing i could hear wrong with your engine, is that one or two of the hydraulic lifters(tappets)are a bit noisy. Apart from that it sounds ok.

Change the engine oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 12months,and other oils and antifreeze as required and it should keep you going for a long time.

Adrian.

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Dug,

Just had a look at your video on Youtube,and i would say that the noise is a vibration from the radiator cowling/air filter box area. Have your assistant slowly raise the revs up till the vibration is at a constant pitch,then hold the revs,then touch various parts until you find the source of the noise (mind your fingers on moving parts).

Your timing chain is located at the front of the engine. The only thing i could hear wrong with your engine, is that one or two of the hydraulic lifters(tappets)are a bit noisy. Apart from that it sounds ok.

Change the engine oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 12months,and other oils and antifreeze as required and it should keep you going for a long time.

Adrian.

If you cannot find the video hear is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmYYZNuN0g8

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
190 diesel

Adrian,
Many thanks indeed, very much appreciated. I will try this.

Regards

Dug

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Wow loud or what !!.

Has it got an air filter in it ?.

Run it with the air box off to rule out the trunking pipe to front of car generating the noise.

My other guess would be the motor or gearbox are making contact with the body as the engine leans when revved,get a couple of mates and push on engine hard as someone revs it to hold it steady and see if it goes silent,engine mount metal to metal maybe ??

Whatever it is aint life threatening to the car,just annoying by the sound of it.

My main thought is the air filter trunking is the cause or could be those rubber stubs where manifold fix's to airbox,not sure of them as never removed them on mine so presume they and air box are push fit,one may be split and allowing it to rasp,going by the video if it is revved the noise is there but constant rev see's it get better

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
could well be the damper on the poly belt, i suggest you jam a screwdriver in the bottom of the damper to see if the noise changes or goes away - but heed a WARNING!! if poking scredrivers around a running poly belt, do it with great care and at your own risk.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Take the serpentine belt off and run the engine without it. That way you can see if it's an engine or ancilliary noise

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I agree with others, it's not the engine but is something resonating in sympathy with it.

I don't think it's a belt driven ancillary, but worth a try. Buy a cheap engine stethoscope and have a poke around, you will soon find the source.

Could be a collapsed engine mount allowing body contact.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Could be a collapsed engine mount allowing body contact.

Mmm, sounds quite possible at that mileage

Listening to the audio I'd say it was exhaust / heatshield / something touching. If a W201 is like a W124 there's an exhaust bracket off the gearbox and that bracket can snap

I suppose the worst case is vacuum pump or timing chain problem

Nick Froome
wwww.124.co.uk

OP
W

webfish

Reaction score
190 noise

Apologies, was away in Glasgow, car runs fine but noise is getting worse, hope to have time off this weekend to try these things, very much appreciated everyone. .

Dug

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom