Mercedes 220 corrosion on sub-frame

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well done FS - did they try very hard to wriggle out of it or was it tame in the end?

I'm really pleased to hear that somebody has won like that because in an earlier post somebody mentioned MB's habitual propensity to throw money at their case which most private individuals would find very hard to compete against.

Certainly not tame they threw solicitors, barristers and Dekra reports at me, its a long story but they tried so hard and I didn't as initially I couldn't take seriously their "defence".

That was the last time, the one before was easier and I thought they would have learned their lesson from that but they didn't.

I sat in the courtroom and listening to some amazing tosh from their Barrister.

The patronising cow even offered to "explain" things for me before we went in.

I duly offered to help her afterward :)

Even so, I wouldn't recommend it.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I doubt if MB patronised her chambers after they lost - so well done on both counts!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
See above.
Are you saying you, as a private individual, took Mercedes Benz to court or was it a franchised dealer? If the former I am in awe of your fortitude! Certainly with definitive evidence I would have no hesitation in taking a dealer down the legal route.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Are you saying you, as a private individual, took Mercedes Benz to court or was it a franchised dealer? If the former I am in awe of your fortitude! Certainly with definitive evidence I would have no hesitation in taking a dealer down the legal route.

Mercedes UK.

I have no problems with my local dealer and never have, we get on well.

Why would you believe one was or would be easier than the other?

On the question of resources, both could bury me financially.

Personally I would much prefer to take on Mercedes UK.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes UK.

I have no problems with my local dealer and never have, we get on well.

Why would you believe one was or would be easier than the other?

On the question of resources, both could bury me financially.

Personally I would much prefer to take on Mercedes UK.
I suspect you must hold the record for the number of cases won against MB UK. Kudos.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I suspect you must hold the record for the number of cases won against MB UK. Kudos.

I think you might find they just don't make any headlines I didn't do anything groundbreaking.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Does seem odd that the OPs case went through apparently so effortlessly, especially with the car being indie serviced.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Does seem odd that the OPs case went through apparently so effortlessly, especially with the car being indie serviced.

They must have learned to settle quick and keep the media out of it Holey subframes went out with Alfa Romeo

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
We have sent 3 cars to our local dealer (Southampton) in last couple of weeks, all three were done, one only sent the photos I took and they agreed it!! Seems there covering them now no matter where it’s been serviced!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
We have sent 3 cars to our local dealer (Southampton) in last couple of weeks, all three were done, one only sent the photos I took and they agreed it!! Seems there covering them now no matter where it’s been serviced!

Have you sent any W/S203's? Was an advisory on last MOT at the indie I use. Repair cost would probably write the car off!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

Structural is treated differently.

It's the famed "30 year" that requires the MB servicing.

I haven't heard of anyone getting anywhere on the Mobilo without FMBSH, people get mixed up with the T&C's and EU Law.

OP
M

Merk 220Classs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 220 Class
Hi just joined forum, I’ve just discovered a corroded sub frame on my 60 plate 220 C class which was in such a dangerous state.
Car was like skating on ice.
I understand that Mercedes has a 30 year non corrosion warranty.
Currently being examined at Mercedes Stratford in London. This is a warranty issue awaiting for decision on this as I expect my car to be repaired under the warranty.
My Mercedes is very well cared for by my independent garage.
Surely my car along with many more should have been recalled to have these sub frames inspected and or repaired.
I’m surprised I wasn’t involved in an accident because of this.
Hopefully there hasn’t been any accidents due to this before.
Sitting tight and waiting for sanity to prevail.

Just attempted to have my Mercedes 220C MOT
After the new sub frame was fitted under warranty at Stratford Mercedes Benz.
They discovered that the brake pipes have excessive corrosion, and has failed!
Subsequently this car cannot be used on a public road until repair.
Surely this should have also been renewed under warranty by MB as they have replaced the sub frame under warranty.
Am I right in think this is the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Surely this should have also been renewed under warranty by MB as they have replaced the sub frame under warranty.

I'd be very wary about an MB dealer doing warranty work and then quoting for other "urgent" repairs. Notwithstanding this, brake pipes do deteriorate and I wouldn't expect any form of warranty to cover replacement costs. Whether in fact they do require renewal is another matter.:rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

MB are peculiarly weary on corrosion warranty work and do not appreciate the inconvenience their failures cause.

The shortsighted bean counters think its clever to do the absolute minimum.

You could always approach them with the argument that their shoddy work caused early failure of the brake pipes.

OP
M

Merk 220Classs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 220 Class
MB are peculiarly weary on corrosion warranty work and do not appreciate the inconvenience their failures cause.

The shortsighted bean counters think its clever to do the absolute minimum.

You could always approach them with the argument that their shoddy work caused early failure of the brake pipes.

So unnecessary really, they must have noticed that the brake pipes would have needed changing whilst replacing the rusty broken sub frame...I really wouldn’t have minded to have paid for this while it was being done.
Now wasted time going for mot and retest and also work at my independent garage for the brake pipes to be replaced.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So unnecessary really, they must have noticed that the brake pipes would have needed changing whilst replacing the rusty broken sub frame...I really wouldn’t have minded to have paid for this while it was being done.
Now wasted time going for mot and retest and also work at my independent garage for the brake pipes to be replaced.

Entirely normal I have had similar, luckily the workshop guys and manager enabled me to see the issues and replace things whilst apart.

MB are beyond pedantic at times.

OP
M

Merk 220Classs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 220 Class
Had the brake pipes replaced at my independent garage today.
All’s well happy motoring now until ULEZ kicks in.
Not sure what I’m going to do with a perfectly roadworthy vehicle, don’t really want to spend best part of 30K plus on a newer motor.

Mike1978

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2012/c220
I have a 2012 w204, C220cdi.
There was an airbag recall so I booked in to the the local MB garage. Once finished they sent me a video of a free inspection. That showed my rear brake pipes were corroded and also a hole in the subframe from corrosion. They quoted just under £3000 to replace it, so I was getting ready to scrap the car. But to my surprise when I collected the car they offered to replace it under warranty. Just thought it was a bit strange that they quoted that price and then offered it for free.

charlysays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto Estate
I'd seriously consider getting underneath and applying some good anti rust wax to the new subframe, preferably before it gets mucky.
This. Buy a couple of aerosols of bilt hamber dynax UC. They come with long and short lances. Give it a coat inside and out. Then another coat a week later inside and out. Top up every 3 or 4 years then.

Genuinely amazed MB are carrying on this rust saga decades after the W202 and W210 became known for rusting badly. After 200k miles and 25 yrs my W202 subframe only needed media blasting and some coats of epoxy mastic and it was fine, no rot just surface rust. Seems MBs rust problems have in some ways got worse!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom