Mercedes 814d starting issue

nickb_2581

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes commercial
Hello, I have a 1999 Mercedes Vario coach and am having some real issues with the starting mechanism. 2 months ago we got to the point where it would turn over and turn over for up to 20 seconds before finally firing up. We replaced the starter motor and it was like a new vehicle for 2 weeks then the same issue started to show itself again (especially starting from cold, after running it normally started ok during the daytime although struggled again if left long enough for the air pressure to go) but we found that it would start first time every time when the start button on the side of the engine near the injectors was pressed. That was the only variable that showed a difference so we had an Auto electrician wire up a push button start button from the engine to the dash. This worked fine again for 2 weeks but then one day i started it, it fired then everything went off in terms of dash lights and you couldn't turn it over from the key or push button but the interior lights worked just fine. Also the 4 ways wouldn't work & they are wired direct to the battery. This was puzzling to the auto electrician. Anyway he had a look at it and couldn't see any problems. It worked again for a few days but now 8/10 times you start it we have the situation shown in the video link below. Our auto electrician says it could be related to an oil pressure switch that part of the ignition system? But im hoping for a couple of other opinions from members if at all possible.

http://youtu.be/T2uUv9uADME

Last edited:
OP
N

nickb_2581

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes commercial
sorry - quick note - during the video i am just holding the push button start depressed at all times.

Dovey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vario minibus / 2000 / 814
Hi i have the same problem ,did you find the fault ?
thanks jeff

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom