Mercedes-Benz Dealer Reviews.. Have a look!

OP
MERCSPORT

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Interesting observation CB. Well done MB Southampton, but there are some active and well respected indies in that area.

Perhaps competition is good for them?

Definitely, must have noticed the sudden drop in profit!!

I hope it happens to a few other dealers!

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
I have used all three branches of (What are now) Listers of Lincolnshire for many years with a succession of cars & for a variety of purposes.

Throughout that period I have always been treated with courtesy, fairness & friendliness. They have always been efficient & extremely helpful, particularly
when I have been faced with emergency situations on my car...& there have been a few of those !

Simon Barry

OP
MERCSPORT

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have used all three branches of (What are now) Listers of Lincolnshire for many years with a succession of cars & for a variety of purposes.

Throughout that period I have always been treated with courtesy, fairness & friendliness. They have always been efficient & extremely helpful, particularly
when I have been faced with emergency situations on my car...& there have been a few of those !

Simon Barry

My experience with listers has been okayish, reasonable, but has been absolutely floored by Mercedes-Benz Of Northampton in my opinion, and MB Northampton did not even supply the car, it was Listers MB Gatwick who did, that being said, Im afraid that will be the last car I buy from them.

lesithmaria

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
even the 2012 models of Mercedes are banging back the other brands.......the latest model carries all those extravagant features giving a deluxe look and ferocious appearance!!!

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
MB Stratford - Service manager: Alex : never had a problem . Everytime I go there I get something for free. :)

MB Romford - James ( if I am not mistaken ) : sarcastic all the time and rude. Will never go there.

MB Park Royal - a nice lady told me I could have £7.5k off the marked price. hey I am not good looking :D

and the list goes on & on.

I rarely complain. :)

OP
MERCSPORT

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB Park Royal - a nice lady told me I could have £7.5k off the marked price. hey I am not good looking :D

You must obviously look like a real pig to get 7.5k off a car :rolleyes:

Are you sure nothing else happened whilst you were in their ;)

kennie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 350CDi SS Estate
2004 MB Lookers Eastbourne CLK 320CDi Avantgarde
- ex demonstrator 6 months old – bought it just before the CLS was launched – fell in love with the CLS.

2008 MB Direct Caterham CLS 320CDi ex MB car 9 months old
– best MB todate, only got rid of it because of the 4 seats, if there was an option to get it with 5 seats I would not hesitate to buy again

2011 MB Lookers Eastbourne R 350CDi 4matic LWB – new
– wanted a car with 7 seats. Really too big, should have thought harder before buying. Should have gone for the E Estate instead

2012 MB Lookers Eastbourne E 350CDi Estate Sport – new

Can’t fault either Caterham or Lookers Eastbourne
Always had excellent service and always felt I had a good deal second hand or new

Ibk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 59 reg Kompressor 1596 engine
Mercedes Benz Dartford

This is a bit of a long one, but I'll try and be brief.

Went into MB Dartford 3 weeks' ago as '08 B Class deal was coming to an end. Got the B Class touched up and everything, was told there's no equity in it towards a part-exchange, but they were very keen for me to 'sell' the car to them rather than send it back to MB Finance, so I did.

I went in to test-drive an 09 C180 Kompressor, whereby I'd stated clearly on the online form I wanted a 'minimum of a 1.8 engine' and the dealer said that particular car had gone, but they had the 'same car' in dark grey for the same price.

They first lied about the finance deal, re. mileage, plus re. how much they were going add to my deposit; and I didn't realise till I got home and rang the finance company after the weekend that they'd lied! The finance company had to ring them on the Monday re. the mileage, then they lied even further over how much my revised mileage would cost me. So I had to report them to their head office again, I think I got put through to Hanover at some point who rang them - then they rang me and agreed a practical monthly finance package.

Then I went in the next weekend and signed the finance paperwork, but didn't have my drivers licence, so they asked me to send this through on Monday. Got home to try and insure the car, only to find out the car has a 1.6 engine! Rang them on the Monday to ask why I was getting a 1.6 engine when I'd requested a minimum of 1.8, was then told by the dealer that a 1.6 and 1.8 Kompressor engine ARE THE SAME!!! Then why on earth do they make both I asked, to which the dealer couldn't provide an answer - he went into a long explanation over BHP and Torque etc. All I could say to him is THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!! Eventually, my husband persuaded me to 'just take the car' for the sake of peace, so I negotiated a refund of £400 out of my deposit to compensate for the 'mistake' of them misselling the 1.6 engine rather than 1.8 (which aren't the same!).

They came to deliver the car on Tuesday, and there's me happily filing the paperwork away at night, till I read the MOT certificate. They'd told me they'd do the MOT test just before they delivered the car, but they'd done it in June i.e. 3 months before the manufacturer's 3 year warranty expires. To my horror, it had 2 'advisories' i.e. "Front Brake Imbalance 21% and 21% Front brakes only just met the front brake imbalance requirements". It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair", plus an "OSR tyre worn close to the legal limit" advisory.

I spoke to them on Wednesday, they said they'd changed the tyre, even though their multi-test sheet had the brakes ticked as 'OK', and the tyres ticked as 'satisfactory', despite them not having touched the brakes to fix whatever the advisory required them to fix. I decided to check the tyre they'd replaced, only to find the brake calipers on each of the wheels is simply corroded beyond belief - alas, the two times I'd been to check the car, it had been raining so I hadn't noticed the corrosion.

So, I sent an email regarding the brake callipers and the fact the MOT advisory had suggested the front brakes needed looking at, and was told 'we'll inspect it and write up a report on it'. I spoke to Dartford's GM today, and he wants me to come in for a 'cup of coffee' to discuss my concerns, of which I've said to him 'I don't want coffee, I want the calipers cleaned and checked'. He says they're not prepared to clean them, never mind replace them, but they'll clean inside the car before they return it to me on Tuesday :rolleyes:i.e. a car I've driven only once since Tuesday. He's also suggested he'll do another MOT and I've said well once they've checked the whole car and provided their report, I'll be taking it off to Kwik Fit to get it checked, and if Kwik Fit reports any issues, I'll be reporting the dealership to both VOSA and Trading Standards.

The problem is the receptionists at MB are 'so nice', they lull you into a false sense of security - though I laughed at the receptionist who someone said called him 'silly'. The problem with the nice ones at Dartford is they lull you into a false sense of security - so you feel pretty mean when you're fighting for your rights basically.

I'm going to quickly snoop around and see why they're offering me another MOT, just in case I won't be able to do another one before the manufacturer's warranty expires on the 20th of September! Any advice would be helfpul. Cheers

Ps. Some of the posts at the beginning made me laugh till I nearly cried!

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
OMG...rusty calipers!!

Are you serious?

AND ADVISORIES? wHAT'S THE PROBLEM? wHERE THE ITEMS NOT FIXED...WAS THE TYRE STILL ILLEGAL?

Ibk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OMG...rusty calipers!!

Are you serious?

AND ADVISORIES? wHAT'S THE PROBLEM? wHERE THE ITEMS NOT FIXED...WAS THE TYRE STILL ILLEGAL?

They've sent me the invoice to verify the tyre was replaced after the MOT advisory - but they're saying that 'despite the advisory about the brakes - no work needed to be done' and the rusty calipers are part and parcel of any car so they won't be doing any work on this. Never mind, I won't be having a cup of coffee with the GM as he's suggested - and they WILL resolve the calipers issue. He's said there's no point me getting in Trading Standards or 'wasting my money' on an AA inspection - and he's right, because I found out tonight that the VOSA will do a free test, within 3 months of an MOT, if an owner has concerns about their car having passed a test when it shouldn't have. I'll throw that at him tomorrow!

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
I was being sarcastic...all calipers are rusty.

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport C220 CDI 2007
This is a bit of a long one, but I'll try and be brief.

Went into MB Dartford 3 weeks' ago as '08 B Class deal was coming to an end. Got the B Class touched up and everything, was told there's no equity in it towards a part-exchange, but they were very keen for me to 'sell' the car to them rather than send it back to MB Finance, so I did.

I went in to test-drive an 09 C180 Kompressor, whereby I'd stated clearly on the online form I wanted a 'minimum of a 1.8 engine' and the dealer said that particular car had gone, but they had the 'same car' in dark grey for the same price.

They first lied about the finance deal, re. mileage, plus re. how much they were going add to my deposit; and I didn't realise till I got home and rang the finance company after the weekend that they'd lied! The finance company had to ring them on the Monday re. the mileage, then they lied even further over how much my revised mileage would cost me. So I had to report them to their head office again, I think I got put through to Hanover at some point who rang them - then they rang me and agreed a practical monthly finance package.

Then I went in the next weekend and signed the finance paperwork, but didn't have my drivers licence, so they asked me to send this through on Monday. Got home to try and insure the car, only to find out the car has a 1.6 engine! Rang them on the Monday to ask why I was getting a 1.6 engine when I'd requested a minimum of 1.8, was then told by the dealer that a 1.6 and 1.8 Kompressor engine ARE THE SAME!!! Then why on earth do they make both I asked, to which the dealer couldn't provide an answer - he went into a long explanation over BHP and Torque etc. All I could say to him is THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!! Eventually, my husband persuaded me to 'just take the car' for the sake of peace, so I negotiated a refund of £400 out of my deposit to compensate for the 'mistake' of them misselling the 1.6 engine rather than 1.8 (which aren't the same!).

They came to deliver the car on Tuesday, and there's me happily filing the paperwork away at night, till I read the MOT certificate. They'd told me they'd do the MOT test just before they delivered the car, but they'd done it in June i.e. 3 months before the manufacturer's 3 year warranty expires. To my horror, it had 2 'advisories' i.e. "Front Brake Imbalance 21% and 21% Front brakes only just met the front brake imbalance requirements". It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair", plus an "OSR tyre worn close to the legal limit" advisory.

I spoke to them on Wednesday, they said they'd changed the tyre, even though their multi-test sheet had the brakes ticked as 'OK', and the tyres ticked as 'satisfactory', despite them not having touched the brakes to fix whatever the advisory required them to fix. I decided to check the tyre they'd replaced, only to find the brake calipers on each of the wheels is simply corroded beyond belief - alas, the two times I'd been to check the car, it had been raining so I hadn't noticed the corrosion.

So, I sent an email regarding the brake callipers and the fact the MOT advisory had suggested the front brakes needed looking at, and was told 'we'll inspect it and write up a report on it'. I spoke to Dartford's GM today, and he wants me to come in for a 'cup of coffee' to discuss my concerns, of which I've said to him 'I don't want coffee, I want the calipers cleaned and checked'. He says they're not prepared to clean them, never mind replace them, but they'll clean inside the car before they return it to me on Tuesday :rolleyes:i.e. a car I've driven only once since Tuesday. He's also suggested he'll do another MOT and I've said well once they've checked the whole car and provided their report, I'll be taking it off to Kwik Fit to get it checked, and if Kwik Fit reports any issues, I'll be reporting the dealership to both VOSA and Trading Standards.

The problem is the receptionists at MB are 'so nice', they lull you into a false sense of security - though I laughed at the receptionist who someone said called him 'silly'. The problem with the nice ones at Dartford is they lull you into a false sense of security - so you feel pretty mean when you're fighting for your rights basically.

I'm going to quickly snoop around and see why they're offering me another MOT, just in case I won't be able to do another one before the manufacturer's warranty expires on the 20th of September! Any advice would be helfpul. Cheers

Ps. Some of the posts at the beginning made me laugh till I nearly cried!

I know the GM at Dartford quite well, and despite the frustration and misgivings you have, would recommend you go and have a chat with him.

He is a very nice chap, and I am sure he will do all he can to get things right.

He used to be the Service Manager at MB Romford, and is now the GM at MB Dartford.

I too have had lots of complaints with the various MB dealers I have used, and have recently started using MB Dartford (with no complaints so far) because MB Romford have now closed.

Ibk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you

Many thanks, and I've had a 'chat' with him on Saturday and what gets me is despite the previous chap's obvious attempt at sarcasm over mere 'rusty callipers', one of the things the GM put to me on Saturday is if they had to charge customers to clean rusty callipers, this would increase the cost of the car to the customer. Well I'm sure that when a car is taken in to be traded in, they'll give the seller a couple of hundred pounds less for corroded callipers (maybe I shouldn't use the word 'rusty', rather very badly corroded!), so the dealership should be able to spend that money on getting the things cleaned. The GM seemed to be so keen to stress they will clean the inside of my car before returning it again, when it was cleaned spotlessly inside when it was delivered last Tuesday. I've expressed I'm more concerned about the corrosion on 3 out of 4 of the callipers, whereas the 4th one appears to have been cleaned with some acidic sort of material already by the previous owneer.

Reading my vehicle returns standards book, it clearly states underside damage such as major dents and deformation are acceptable 'as long as they have not caused major corrosion', well the callipers are so corroded now that I have no chance of returning the car with 'no major corrosion' in four years' time.

If a sales exec. tells you 'our approved cars are brought up to as close to new as possible', then it wouldn't be too much to expect them to sort out the corrotion on their callipers. I just had such high hopes of this dealership, and feel totally let down.

The fact remains that the only accident I've had in close to 27 years' of driving has been in my last car, i.e. a B class, whereby the callipers were definitely not corroded, the brake light came on one night in 2010 indicating a problem, the next morning I was on my way to a garage when the brake totally failed to stop the car, which meant I destroyed many years' of no claims bonus on that single accident, and totally wrecked the front of my car - that's why I'm so particular about my brakes, I don't want to be driving my kids about in a car that has 'advisories' about the brakes and all this corrosion thing going on, even at the time of purchase.

I've turned into a Peeping Tom, i.e. peering at neighbour's tyres to see if their callipers are so rusty, and I haven't yet seen one I'm afraid that is.

I take your point about talking to the GM, but there are some major lessons to be learned for the dealership - I've definitely learnt a lesson about 'TRUST' - and I'll be writing to their Head Office abroad once I've resolved these issues. I work for a newspaper on a commission basis also, and I'm tempted to pop something in there also as a guide to women to know what to look out for when buying used cars and, in particular, not to believe it when they're told a 1.6 engine is the same as a 1.8 one!!!

One worry, of course, is you've had loads of problems with other MB dealers used in the past, why doesn't the Head Office do something before these dealers totally wreck the brand?

Thanks for your reply!

I know the GM at Dartford quite well, and despite the frustration and misgivings you have, would recommend you go and have a chat with him.

He is a very nice chap, and I am sure he will do all he can to get things right.

He used to be the Service Manager at MB Romford, and is now the GM at MB Dartford.

I too have had lots of complaints with the various MB dealers I have used, and have recently started using MB Dartford (with no complaints so far) because MB Romford have now closed.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
A few comments-- the 1.6 engine was introduced as part of MB's BlueEFFICIENCY line to get more MPG's at least for emissions figures if not in reality! Unfortunately they still called it a 180 which is a bit naughty considering its only 1,597 cc-- quite a few MB people are blissfully unaware of that. Don't worry about the underside damage thing which refers to the body shell not the suspension or drive train. All calipers rust/corrode because its impossible to keep paint on them due to the heat generated and the corrosion from chemicals/road salt etc. If one looks better than the others its probably because its been replaced. So I wouldn't push on the surface cosmetic corrosion thing. However I would be slightly concerned about the brake imbalance advisory which might merely indicate the brake pads/calipers need cleaned up and regreased or might be indicative of greater problems. I would accept the offer of a new MOT TEST and depending on the result of that- if the imbalance problem is still there ask them to explain it--- then rectify it. Unfortunately most brake parts are regarded as wear and tear items and would not be covered by any remaining manufacturer warranty.

markg14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Sport C220 CDI 2007
Many thanks, and I've had a 'chat' with him on Saturday and what gets me is despite the previous chap's obvious attempt at sarcasm over mere 'rusty callipers', one of the things the GM put to me on Saturday is if they had to charge customers to clean rusty callipers, this would increase the cost of the car to the customer. Well I'm sure that when a car is taken in to be traded in, they'll give the seller a couple of hundred pounds less for corroded callipers (maybe I shouldn't use the word 'rusty', rather very badly corroded!), so the dealership should be able to spend that money on getting the things cleaned. The GM seemed to be so keen to stress they will clean the inside of my car before returning it again, when it was cleaned spotlessly inside when it was delivered last Tuesday. I've expressed I'm more concerned about the corrosion on 3 out of 4 of the callipers, whereas the 4th one appears to have been cleaned with some acidic sort of material already by the previous owneer.

Reading my vehicle returns standards book, it clearly states underside damage such as major dents and deformation are acceptable 'as long as they have not caused major corrosion', well the callipers are so corroded now that I have no chance of returning the car with 'no major corrosion' in four years' time.

If a sales exec. tells you 'our approved cars are brought up to as close to new as possible', then it wouldn't be too much to expect them to sort out the corrotion on their callipers. I just had such high hopes of this dealership, and feel totally let down.

The fact remains that the only accident I've had in close to 27 years' of driving has been in my last car, i.e. a B class, whereby the callipers were definitely not corroded, the brake light came on one night in 2010 indicating a problem, the next morning I was on my way to a garage when the brake totally failed to stop the car, which meant I destroyed many years' of no claims bonus on that single accident, and totally wrecked the front of my car - that's why I'm so particular about my brakes, I don't want to be driving my kids about in a car that has 'advisories' about the brakes and all this corrosion thing going on, even at the time of purchase.

I've turned into a Peeping Tom, i.e. peering at neighbour's tyres to see if their callipers are so rusty, and I haven't yet seen one I'm afraid that is.

I take your point about talking to the GM, but there are some major lessons to be learned for the dealership - I've definitely learnt a lesson about 'TRUST' - and I'll be writing to their Head Office abroad once I've resolved these issues. I work for a newspaper on a commission basis also, and I'm tempted to pop something in there also as a guide to women to know what to look out for when buying used cars and, in particular, not to believe it when they're told a 1.6 engine is the same as a 1.8 one!!!

One worry, of course, is you've had loads of problems with other MB dealers used in the past, why doesn't the Head Office do something before these dealers totally wreck the brand?

Thanks for your reply!

I had so many problems with the torque converter on my W204 that I actually sent a recorded delivery letter to MB Customer Services, who did absolutely NOTHING.

Eventually I took the car to MB Romford (by luck rather than judgement) and the problem was resolved (after a lot of work by the Service dept).

I found the attitude of the Service Manager so refreshing that I continued to have the car serviced by MB Romford until it closed.

The Service Manager was subsequently promoted to GM at MB Dartford, which is where the car is now serviced.

My view of MB is that the products are good, the management is deaf, a lot of the franchises are terrible, but there ARE some good guys out there.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition

Ibk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you

Thank you and, again, if this is all it takes, I wonder why MB can't simply take the wire brush and paint and apply it to their 'approved' used cars before selling them on? If you pay close to £15k for a car, the minimum you'd expect is for them to expend that extra £20 on tidying the car up. According to the GM, after he'd seen the state of my callipers, he said if they had to clean up my callipers before selling it on to me, it would add a considerable sum to the price of my car, which suggests it didn't merely need a dash of paint and wire brush taken to it. Even if it did, I'm a middle aged woman :cool:, I'm not getting under a car I've just bought from a dealer, rather than from an auction house, to start trying to clear the rust from the callipers - sorry, but I simply don't think I should need to do that.

Trading Standards would have absolutely no reason to close the dealership down based on my sole complaint; and that hasn't been the purpose of my complaint i.e. the intent was to resolve my individual issues with them, wherby they'd repeatedly contradicted themselves from day one of my interaction with them. That's not a good foundation for a long-term relationship with a company by any means.

Whatever the case, they've asked me to come and pick up my car, I'll do so later, and will then fire of a letter to their HO with suggestions as to how this transaction may have been made more pleasant for both parties, i.e. me and the dealership.

Can't wait for the end of the contract now, and I've only just started!

Ibk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you and I'm sure it's fixed now

Thanks so much, and sorry I missed your post when I replied to another post earlier.

I understand all callipers corrode, and I've been peering at loads of MBs since I identified the issue, and some are corroded while some aren't - my 2008 B class didn't have a single bit of corrosion on it, so I can imagine this is down to usage by the previous owner also.

Now you're quite right about being more concerned about the advisory in that, if I hadn't noticed the advisory on the MOT cert after they'd delivered the car, I would have been merely slightly annoyed about the state of the callipers. It's the fact the MOT cert provided this advisory to do with the brakes and they then hadn't bothered to check the calipers or anything or ticked the 'rectified' box on the cert to say they'd done anything about that advisory (only because this is a car they were looking to sell rather than a car brought in by a customer seeking to get its first MOT done), and instead had ticked 'okay' i.e. "we know there's a warning of a potential issue with the brakes, but that's 'okay'" :confused: again, despite this being a car they were selling on to a new customer.

I must admit, I'm quite paranoid about my car's brakes following my sole accident in over 20 years of driving being due to faulty brakes in my last MB, so that advisory was obviously going to evoke a reaction in me that they weren't prepared to address - when I now saw the corroded callipers, I couldn't help but be concerned the advisory and the corrosion issue were linked, and my brakes would suddenly fail on me again.

The car itself looks beautiful, they cleaned the inside quite well, but all I'm seeking is reassurance the brakes aren't going to malfunction on me shortly after I take delivery of the car.

Thanks for your advice, and I can't wait to pick up the car and get on with things, finally.

A few comments-- the 1.6 engine was introduced as part of MB's BlueEFFICIENCY line to get more MPG's at least for emissions figures if not in reality! Unfortunately they still called it a 180 which is a bit naughty considering its only 1,597 cc-- quite a few MB people are blissfully unaware of that. Don't worry about the underside damage thing which refers to the body shell not the suspension or drive train. All calipers rust/corrode because its impossible to keep paint on them due to the heat generated and the corrosion from chemicals/road salt etc. If one looks better than the others its probably because its been replaced. So I wouldn't push on the surface cosmetic corrosion thing. However I would be slightly concerned about the brake imbalance advisory which might merely indicate the brake pads/calipers need cleaned up and regreased or might be indicative of greater problems. I would accept the offer of a new MOT TEST and depending on the result of that- if the imbalance problem is still there ask them to explain it--- then rectify it. Unfortunately most brake parts are regarded as wear and tear items and would not be covered by any remaining manufacturer warranty.

www.W140.co.uk&www.r129.co
Specialist in parts for W140 and R129 Mercedes-Benz models.
Top Bottom