Mercedes build quality?!

merc7

Reaction score
I had few issues with our both c class one brand new c-180 sport,the other c180 se now nearly two years old , had few niggling defects .The dealer rectified but why?????!!! .Bough few new cars over the years but never had to do as many trips in the last year or so as much Mercedes ,am i the only one feels like that??????????:confused:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I had few issues with our both c class one brand new c-180 sport,the other c180 se now nearly two years old , had few niggling defects .The dealer rectified but why?????!!! .Bough few new cars over the years but never had to do as many trips in the last year or so as much Mercedes ,am i the only one feels like that??????????:confused:

I bought a "pre-registered" W 203 220CDi estate in June 2007. It has been in for 2 services so far (annual servicing). Each time it was described by the mechanic as " anew car" and it hasn't missed a beat. Fuel consumption 40 for the first 10,000 but now easing up to the mid 40s on everyday running.

It is doing "exactly what is says on the can" and I am very pleased with it.

I am sorry to hear you have had such problems, it does not seem to affect them all, but that is no consolation.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Iam i the only one feels like that??????????:confused:

No you are not, Mercedes must have made a big loss on mine after all the warranty work is paid for. I have to laugh every time I read that cars from 2005 on are more reliable.

Russ

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
2-1 down

Oops, I'm 2-1 down already after 3 posts on this thread!

Are there no other optimists out there?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I bought a 220cdi E class avantgarde estate with 6k miles on the clock about a year ago. Now has 18k miles on the clock. Had one service last March and apart from that no problems. Will need new tyres at about 20k miles.

My brother's A class from 2005 has also been fault free http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48220 gives costs of 4 years in an A class.

My daughter's A class is two years old this autumn and again -touch wood- hasn't missed a beat.

I sympathise with Merc7. I have had cars with niggles and it can be infuriating. Just hope once they are sorted it will give you long service. I used to assume there would be about half a dozen minor niggles with a new car but in recent years they do seem to have got rather better.

Last edited:

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
Not along the line of mechaincal faults, but my wifes recent new SLK 200, nice looking car, but the build quaility is so poor as far as I am concerned, only done 700 miles and it creakes and rattles more than our recently sold 10 year sold W202 ever did. I am considering this a poor buy now, but the wifes enjoying it, while its sunny, see what she makes of it all in the cold cruel winter.
My further extension of this thread, (sorry), was the quality of the sales people we dealt with, I am sure they are all from Ford or VX garages, no finnesse about any of them, sell the car, get the money, seemed we were just a number. The service reception guy in a conversation this morning refered to me as "mate" I could ramble on but I wont.

Last edited:

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Since new mine has had :-
new headlight washers
new steering column motor
new drivers side mirror motor
new aircon control panel
new internal temperature sensor (for aircon)

all under warranty. I was told that the steering column and aircon control panel would normally be over £1k each fitted.

The steering column continues to play up (i.e. the up/down range is almost nil ) but it's due a service in a few weeks and perhaps can be re-set on star m/c.

It's done 80k and I'm on service plus since 3 yrs of age.

All electrical problems you'll note.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Bought my 220cdi 'C' estate in February; car was one year old with 5K on the clock. It now has 13K. I have a rattle on the instrument binnacle perspex that I have 'cured' by stuffing a piece of rubber between the perspex and the binnacle housing - doesn't look elegant (car is an Elegance!) but does the job temporarily. Also have a slight rattle somewhere in the driver's door but cannot find it. Plus one or two creaks on the dash which are temperature related. Plus a new one somewehere around the rear seats/load cover area. These are all very small but b**** annoying.

I sold a Nissan to get away from such things (but in retrospect the Nissan compared well to the MB) and they really annoy me as one is constantly listening for them, pressing against trim as one drives to see if the noise can be isolated. This should not be the case at all at the price of an MB. The car is going in to the dealership that sold it to me next week and I hope they will spend time and sort it as it will be done under warranty. If not then the car will be sold in due course (even at a loss) if I can find a marque that is better put together! But is there one?? My wife's Skoda does not have these problems!

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
There will always be individual examples of problem cars from any manufacturer - just look at VW forums for example - but all the objective evidence of the last 2-3 years seems to point in one direction: MB while not up to former legendary levels have massively improved since the dark days from 1998-2003. JD Power etc all seem to confirm this. No comfort to the odd unlucky owner - but the trend is unmistakable.

RGubbioli

Reaction score
A colleague runs a W211 320 diesel estate in Avantgarde trim, he does around 50k miles per year. Only issue he has had is a crack in the windscreen, plus discolouring of the wheels, although thats because he never washes it.

psmart

Reaction score
Do Mercedes Build Quality ...... very good question.

Im 1 person, 4 Mercedes, 3 since new, 2 have had so many faults (ML270, A140).... so if I answered with a weighted vote, given 'what are the odds of 1 fellow having so many faults', I would have to say Mercedes do not Build Quality.

.... but then, Im a forgiving fellow..... so I look onward and upward, pretend that the ML270 (end 2000), C220 (mid 2002), A140 (March 2004) fell into the 'dark ages' and base everything on the Flagship ML500.

The ML is 2 years old now and everything works fine, except the gearbox.... but then a lot of us know about this problem......

Time will be the judge, but Im hoping for a trouble free ownership of the ML, one just has to take it en-spec that Mercedes have turned over a new leaf.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I've had Audis and VWs that have had to be returned to dealer for teething faults. On one such occassion in my Golf 2.0 GTi, the brakes had an intermittent problem and I went straight into the back of a lorry. The Golf was only 2 months old, and every time it went in for that fault it was returned Fault Not Found, but the brakes were always better than when it went in. :confused:

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
well the plot thickens,i phoned my MB dealer to have a look at lacquer peeling off,i was referred to their paint shop guess what the car was involved in accident ,i can not give too much details they are investigating the damage with in the group as it was a company car before i bought it last year ,the car was 10-11 months old when i bought it last august, i feel cheated i have read a post like that last week could not believe that will happen too me too soon,i bought the car in good faith expecting nothing but the best from MB

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
well the plot thickens,i phoned my MB dealer to have a look at lacquer peeling off,i was referred to their paint shop guess what the car was involved in accident ,i can not give too much details they are investigating the damage with in the group as it was a company car before i bought it last year ,the car was 10-11 months old when i bought it last august, i feel cheated i have read a post like that last week could not believe that will happen too me too soon,i bought the car in good faith expecting nothing but the best from MB

According to the AA over 60% of company cars are involved in accidents, per year, involving a claim. And since company cars account for well over half of all new cars (and a higher percentage of bigger cars) it is very hard to avoid cars with some accident damage when buying secondhand.

When selling our cars or part exchanging with a dealer there is no law requiring us to say whether the car has been in an accident nor even to say whether it was repaired at an MB approved bodyshop (which you need to keep Mobilo intact).

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Oops, I'm 2-1 down already after 3 posts on this thread!

Are there no other optimists out there?

Let me help you out Alex. I can't fault MB's build quality. My car has done 207k miles and there isn't a single rattle or squeak to be heard and everything works as it should. :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The title hear is confusing a little,,on my car the actual build quality in the way that it is put together is first class, the build of some of the components is another story on my car, and very poor with expensive things like struts failing within very few miles

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
Help needed here i just washed my car this afternoon and noticed an area about 4 inches on rear bumper colour matt or dicoloured my car been to the dealer 2 weeks ago for a respray on boot no where near that area never noticed it before also noticed forward alloy wheel enamel peeled about 1/4 of an inch also bubbling there also noticed one of my rear alloys couple of bubbles on it? the garage has already renewed one front wheel 5-6 months a go for similar thing i am getting fed-up with mercedes i had numerous niggling faults with it i wish never bought one now ps my wifes car 6 months old been to the garage twice for repair the last one door problem inside handle broke off i do not think i will be buying another one,i had no less of 9 brand new cars in my life never-ever had visited a garage as much as i did to mb.i feel also intimidated buy their manager which has offered a free service for my car and wife car,just not a pleasant experience:(
My car is w203 on 57 plate 24k on clock now
any advise will be appreciated iam going to trade this car against Japanese car or vauxhall never gave me any bother in past

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
My car is w203 on 57 plate 24k on clock now
any advise will be appreciated iam going to trade this car against Japanese car or vauxhall never game me any bother in past

OK, my advice, of all the cars I've ever owned, the four worst in the list were the four Vauxhalls I've had. The most reliable were the various Japanese cars I owned in the last 16 years before I bought the CLK, I forgot that cars can actually break down & was used to £130 service bills, the Mercedes has come as a shock in that respect. £500 oil changes masquerading as a "B" service & five separate warranty claims in the first three years, not good, but out of all these cars, the Mercedes is the best and I would be sorry to see it go.

Russ

OP
M

merc7

Reaction score
i love my car we spend more than 50k price tag on these cars!! ,but come on the mercedes benz reliability supposed to be vastly improved????,i bet could spent fraction of that price buying second hands would not even gave me half the trouble:mad:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom