Mercedes Dealer West Yorkshire

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello All,

I have ~1K to my next service (showing as a "C") and don't have any experience of the local dealers in my new area.
  • Huddersfield
  • Bradford
  • Leeds
  • Wakefield
Does anyone have any good or bad experiences of the above dealers? or any other recommendations.
I believe all give 5% discount according to my MBOA magazine.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Stratstones are the ones

in Huddersfield, and leeds. Jberks knows about the Leeds bods, and I can vouch for the parts team at Huddersfield, but have never had them work on our cars. I think they do Bradford and Wakefield as well, but I might be wrong.
Delaceys in Brighouse are good indies I'm told, but again, I've not used them.
Welcome 'oop North Blobcat. I'll keep an eye out for you on the road.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
in Huddersfield, and leeds. Jberks knows about the Leeds bods, and I can vouch for the parts team at Huddersfield, but have never had them work on our cars. I think they do Bradford and Wakefield as well, but I might be wrong.
Delaceys in Brighouse are good indies I'm told, but again, I've not used them.
Welcome 'oop North Blobcat. I'll keep an eye out for you on the road.
Thanks Myros, I'm across the 62 fairly often although my mileage has dropped significantly. I'm only doing ~1,500 per month at the moment.

I drive through Brighouse every day so I will look out for Delaceys. My neighbour uses Huddersfield as they collect.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi,
Yes Stratstone are pretty good and always up for a haggle. I asked for a discount on my C+ a couple of weeks ago. List was quoted at £240 and it instantly came down to £200 just for the asking so thats nearly 20% without any effort. Quote them indie pricing and the can often do even better. The work is normally pretty good and whilst the girlies in service reception are as useless as ever there's a bloke called John who's been there since the dark ages and is excellent.
North Leeds is trying to build a reputation so are even better IMO but it's a bit of a drag from Huddersfield.
They pretty much all collect so you're safe to use them all really. Even our local Landrover dealer collects these days (dropped the Mrs off a very nice V8 Range Rover Sport this week - which she fell in love with ....:( )

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
delaceys

are down that road that runs left from the traffic lights by the railway station, as you sit at the lights facing uphill from the centre. Just turn left, go down a bit and look for the signs, they are in a little industrial estate, easily spotted by the mercs and beemers ranged up outside.
I'm through Brighouse myself every afternoon/evening on my way home.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've booked into Huddersfield for a "C" service next week and they are coming to collect it. Initially that said it would be £670 inc VAT for the service, I said it was my money and could they please go away and think about the price. They said they wouldn't stamp the service book if I didn't have them complete the "essential" items. We reviewed the list and the only "essential" item was 2 year brake fluid change. I refused this at the VW dealership and they didn't have an issue with stamping the book on the Caravelle. They did go away and think about the price and I was told I can get a discount on the Labour rate, the new price is £390 inc VAT. I will update with the final price once it is serviced. So far £280 knocked off just by asking.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Blobcat;They did go away and think about the price and I was told I can get a discount on the Labour rate said:
That answers many a question raised here about MB dealer servicing costs, there is without doubt a moral in this example Blobcat:cool:

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a call from the dealer "your front discs and pads are worn, would you like us to change them?" I asked if the warning light was on and was told "no but it would probably come on in the next few thousand miles"... I said that as it doesn't make a difference price wise if it is done now whilst you have the wheels off or if it is done later then I will wait. No harm in asking I suppose I may have more money than I know what to do with...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just had a call from the dealer "your front discs and pads are worn, would you like us to change them?" I asked if the warning light was on and was told "no but it would probably come on in the next few thousand miles"... I said that as it doesn't make a difference price wise if it is done now whilst you have the wheels off or if it is done later then I will wait. No harm in asking I suppose I may have more money than I know what to do with...

They say this now when the pads and disc are still 60% good, it helps the cash flow crisis, by taking it from your account to theirs,,and thats what Gordon Brown wants as well, so do the right thing Blobcat

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
They say this now when the pads and disc are still 60% good, it helps the cash flow crisis, by taking it from your account to theirs,,and thats what Gordon Brown wants as well, so do the right thing Blobcat

I think it is good that such advice is offered and that the mechanic takes the trouble to warn of impending need to renew. In my experience I have adpoted the view that I will continue until the need for change becomes apparent (warning light, or rough performance).

So far, I have always got to the next service, and even the one beyond that. Looking at part worn pads is like looking at one dot on a graph and trying to predict trend. You are quite right to make your own call on this and I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

As Malcolm says, it may be a cash flow thing disguised as a service! How cynical? :rolleyes: How true? ;)

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the car delivered back tonight and the bill was £390.70. This was a 15,500 fixed mileage service with wheels off, (otherwise known as a "B" service previously (although the car was requesting a "C" service))additional work was check the poly V belt, brake fluid replacement and fuel filter replacement. They originally wanted £670 for this service.
Key batteries are getting expensive at £4.85 for a pair inc vat...
The only thing I will be speaking to them about is the "advise: vehicle requires front brake pads and discs" It should say that they are worn and will require replacement soon, as the pad warning light hasn't come on yet then I cannot see how they can advise that the pads and discs require replacement.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The only thing I will be speaking to them about is the "advise: vehicle requires front brake pads and discs" It should say that they are worn and will require replacement soon, as the pad warning light hasn't come on yet then I cannot see how they can advise that the pads and discs require replacement.

Had the same advice on mine. Done 2k since - still no sign of the warning light. I checked them myself when the wheels were off for the new tyres. Sure the pads are not exactly new, but plenty left yet. The warning simply means that if you rally it, you may not make it to the next service.
For all their in depth diagnostics, they didn't pick up on my MAF being buggered - so I've spent the last 2 days driving from Leeds to Mcr and back in 'get you home' mode! - or the fact that the front springs were about to snap.
(And yes I know I'm being unfair - these failures aren't easily predictable but hey).

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom