js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Bias? What part of that was not fact?
I fail to see how any of the anti UK sentiments you expressed could ever be stated as a fact as they are so general in nature.

But you and i live in a democracy with free speech so you are welcome to your views.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Mandatory in Germany.

So...
MB (who write the software) says it's recommended/required/mandatory (semantics).
You who don't know what's in the update or how it works says "No I don't need it/want it".

Ergo you with no information say you know better than MB.

Now you're just talking out of your ar$e.
MB state it's "Optional" Fact.
Show me where MB say it's "Mandatory in Germany" don't waste your time it's a rhetorical question.
You who don't know what's in the update want everyone else to install it regardless? Dear me, you just don't know when to give up do you? that as another rhetorical question by the way, :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Now you're just talking out of your ar$e.
MB state it's "Optional" Fact.
Show me where MB say it's "Mandatory in Germany" don't waste your time it's a rhetorical question.
You who don't know what's in the update want everyone else to install it regardless? Dear me, you just don't know when to give up do you? that as another rhetorical question by the way, :)
You asked (you'd have got it anyway).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...iesel-emissions-20190701-story.html?_amp=true

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/diesel/recall-faq.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...e-uk-recall-over-emissions-defeat-devices?amp

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I fail to see how any of the anti UK sentiments you expressed could ever be stated as a fact as they are so general in nature.

But you and i live in a democracy with free speech so you are welcome to your views.
What's general about the UK approach to the metric system that most of the rest of the world uses?
We can start with £/s/d.. replaced with a new pound that was comprised of 100p (so far so good) but they then ruined the whole base 10 foundation by adding 1/2p.

Fuel is dispensed in litres, distance measured in miles, economy quoted in miles per gallon.

Milk is sold in litres, beer sold in pints.

Other commonwealth countries when they adopted the metric system did it in its entirety all at once, not the half hearted way the UK has.

If the UK ever decided to go to driving on the right (as Sweden did) I have no doubt someone would suggest they do cars one month and HGVs the next.....and then debate the merits of doing so!

Don't get me wrong, I like living in the UK but sometimes the half hearted half ar$ed way things are done is laughable if not tragic.

Last edited:

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The articles you posted indicate Mandatory Recalls for vehicles specifically with Euro 6b technology which have been identified fitted with Emissions Defeat Devices, but that doesn't explain why they also want to update all the Euro 5 technology vehicles as well, at least there's some clarity, still doesn't help most of the affected vehicle owners.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The articles you posted indicate Mandatory Recalls for vehicles specifically with Euro 6b technology which have been identified fitted with Emissions Defeat Devices, but that doesn't explain why they also want to update all the Euro 5 technology vehicles as well, at least there's some clarity, still doesn't help most of the affected vehicle owners.
From grandpaw's link:

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/antriebe/diesel/serviceaktion-rueckruf-ueberblick.html

For Euro 5 vehicles it is not (yet) mandatory but it would appear the KBA are heading down that track and MB are complying voluntarily with their requests.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From grandpaw's link:

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/antriebe/diesel/serviceaktion-rueckruf-ueberblick.html

For Euro 5 vehicles it is not (yet) mandatory but it would appear the KBA are heading down that track and MB are complying voluntarily with their requests.

Yes I read all that when posted originally but it doesn't tell us anything does it other than it's a work in progress related to NO Emissions. And the DVSA is only pressing MB to issue recalls in the UK for the defeat devices in euro 6b vehicles.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I read all that when posted originally but it doesn't tell us anything does it other than it's a work in progress related to NO Emissions. And the DVSA is only pressing MB to issue recalls in the UK for the defeat devices in euro 6b vehicles.
Did you read this then?
Describes why the recall on Euro5.
https://www.daimler.com/innovation/diesel/kba-bescheid.html

Fundamentally it's to do with the operation of the thermostat and it's interaction with the ECU and resulting excess NOx emissions.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
What's general about the UK approach to the metric system that most of the rest of the world uses?
We can start with £/s/d.. replaced with a new pound that was comprised of 100p (so far so good) but they then ruined the whole base 10 foundation by adding 1/2p.

Fuel is dispensed in litres, distance measured in miles, economy quoted in miles per gallon.

Milk is sold in litres, beer sold in pints.

Other commonwealth countries when they adopted the metric system did it in its entirety all at once, not the half hearted way the UK has.

If the UK ever decided to go to driving on the right (as Sweden did) I have no doubt someone would suggest they do cars one month and HGVs the next.....and then debate the merits of doing so!

Don't get me wrong, I like living in the UK but sometimes the half hearted half ar$ed way things are done is laughable if not tragic.
Never really think about our system of weights and measures much if i am being honest. But different things annoy different people. Each to there own.

However Europe's new 75 billion EU budget black hole, courtesy of the UK, how are member states going to deal with that. Who is going to pay?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never really think about our system of weights and measures much if i am being honest. But different things annoy different people. Each to there own.

However Europe's new 75 billion EU budget black hole, courtesy of the UK, how are member states going to deal with that. Who is going to pay?
Why are you bothered?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you read this then?
Describes why the recall on Euro5.
https://www.daimler.com/innovation/diesel/kba-bescheid.html

Fundamentally it's to do with the operation of the thermostat and it's interaction with the ECU and resulting excess NOx emissions.
No it doesn't, you got it wrong again, it documents the KBA notification to recall a specific GLK model and MB's objection to that recall, then in November 2018 a second model is added to the recall, all in Germany, the KBA have no Jurisdiction in the UK. The DVSA is only pressing MB to issue a recall to address the defeat devices installed in Euro 6b vehicles which to date I might add they have yet to do.
You're missing the whole point of this action of refusing to accept the optional emissions update from MB, owners shouldn't have to go to these lengths in order to find out what's happening to their cars, trawling the internet and finding scraps of information in foreign languages, or leaked documents applicable to other markets, or personal opinions of a friend of a friend? even the advice on the initial link provided by Grandpaw advises customers in Germany, if required to seek further advice from the dealerships? Until MB start answering the questions from their customers in THIS Country, I won't be joining their little club becoming just another one of their victims, they need to step up and take ownership of all their responsibilities, gone are the days when consumers used to trust those in positions of perceived authority, they've let too many customers down in the past for me to blindly trust them. And if I had a Pub and God came in for a pint,.. He'd pay cash too. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't get it?
Sorry but it's you who doesn't get it.
KBA is the German equivalent of DVSA.
I know they have no jurisdiction in the UK.
That said what happens in one country will almost certainly cascade.
MB are therefore pushing this update (which is well publicised in English press) and has been since 2017.

The update initially mentions the GLK but goes on to state the following:
As already known, the functionality is contained in various types and variants of Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles with different engines. The company will clarify what further effects may result from the notification.

This is acknowledging other models will be affected and there is a subsequent mention of the E250 4Matic being impacted.

Now you can continue to object and stamp your feet in the face of MB determining your car is impacted if you want but it doesn't change information already available in print, including the letter you've had from MB stating your car is impacted.
You don't honestly think MB would spend money rectifying things they don't need to do you?

As for your reference to God, if you want to believe in mythical beings that's up to you.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't get it?
Sorry but it's you who doesn't get it.
KBA is the German equivalent of DVSA.
I know they have no jurisdiction in the UK.
That said what happens in one country will almost certainly cascade. Another assumption
MB are therefore pushing this update (which is well publicised in English press) and has been since 2017. Sporadic articles by politically motivated English Press that contain no details of the update does not constitute "well publicised"

The update initially mentions the GLK but goes on to state the following:
As already known, the functionality is contained in various types and variants of Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles with different engines. The company will clarify what further effects may result from the notification. As I stated earlier, a WIP they have yet to determine

This is acknowledging other models will be affected and there is a subsequent mention of the E250 4Matic being impacted.

Now you can continue to object and stamp your feet in the face of MB determining your car is impacted if you want but it doesn't change information already available in print, including the letter you've had from MB stating your car is impacted. Another assumption, No letter received and update for me and my Euro 5 Emissions car is "Optional" MB keeping things verbal for a reason!
You don't honestly think MB would spend money rectifying things they don't need to do you? MB like any other vehicle manufacturer will jump through as many hoops or pay a lip service as the particular market authorities will force them to, DVSA is STILL only pressing for Euro 6b recall.

As for your reference to God, if you want to believe in mythical beings that's up to you.
:)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So if you haven't had a letter why are you so wound up?

Storm and teacup spring to mind.

I refer you to my first post on this thread No 62 where it is clearly stated how I became involved with the dealership and their attempt to install the contentious software update, where you in fact later commented upon. You should digest what you read before making comment in future, it would save a lot of wasted time.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Reading between the lines, this update looks like MBs attempt of avoiding being dragged through the courts and a massive fine for giving false information, by altering its loyal customers vehicles, so the mpg advertised are not achievable.

Top Reviewer

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLA220CDI SB AMG
Hi. Did you notice a change in your car’s behaviour during cold start? Like the battery’s a little low?

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
I have the E350 but no, I didn't notice that. Sounds like it could be a glow plug relay, the glow plugs, or the battery.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom