Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
There are relatively few sections of German Autobahns that are derestricted to allow that speed.

as you head east most Belgium cars seem desperate to get past if I'm doing less than 90mph and then everyone speeds up when we get to Germany

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I am absolutely livid with Mercedes (Harrogate mainly) right now and wanted to see if my problem is common before I explode!
Jason

We should be livid, you waste resources driving 280 miles regularly, get the train or better still move. But lets pretend we should all just die from global warming and move to your points.

Its Mercedes that write the software, not the garage at Harrogate. They are changing it because you have been illegally pumping death out of the exhaust and now they have to make it legal. The garage would be failing it their responsibility to both the world and Mercedes if they didn't do it.

at 76mph...which i pointed out was illegal!
Jason

really ! speed limits are stupid for so many reasons, this should never be a consideration. Either drive fast enough that you are forced to concentrate and get in to 9th you so desperately want to use. Or slow down, so you are operating the vehicle in a range were aerodynamics aren't throwing 10% of the fuel in a skip. There's a reason 56 mph gives great economy is to do with aerodynamics not which gear you are in.

revving at 1800rpm for 2hrs in 8th on the motorway
Jason

will allow it to be running efficiently

I manually put it 9th and it drops to 1100rpm for 2rhs,
Jason

this is far too slow, it will cause excessive engine wear (particularly to the camshaft) and create poor emission control, which is no doubt why Mercedes have subsequently written better software stopping the car doing it

they then told me the reading on the dash is not appropriate for measuring fuel consumption
Jason

trip computers are notoriously inaccurate, often giving the impression the economy is far better than it is. Its a guide / toy to amuse you on a run and not the way to determine fuel consumption.

Measuring your consumption needs to be done over a long time, averaging out weather conditions, wind speed and direction, atmospheric pressure, air temp, road conditions, tyre pressures, traffic conditions etc.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. In short:

1. I can manually go up to 9th over 2hrs but in an automatic car that was £56k and less than 3yrs old why should I?
2. Yes, the revs drop and it makes a significant mpg drop as well.
3. My local dealership in Harrogate doesn't want to talk to me now since I've said I'm going to make this as public as I can. Even argued about putting it in writing!!!
4. The MB complaints process is 'ring the dealership and ask if I'm right'which seems less than adequate (local dealer manager even said that would happen)

The car is really poor now, MB are equally useless and honestly i will be selling asap.

Thanks all for the responses.

1. Because MB have determined it's better for the environment?

2. I doubt it's all that significant but even if it is a few MPG is it better to be pumping out less NOx or saving yourself a few pennies (clue - one answer will show how selfish you are).

3. I can understand their attitude. You've clearly become irate and beyond their being able to discuss it with you. Also, they don't write the software - they only implement what the factory produce.

4. The dealership is your contact point with MB however they do have a centralised customer services division (not that I've ever had to use it).

You also say that the rpm drops from 1800 in 8th to 1100 in 9th - I'm very surprised at that level of rpm drop in a 9speed box - even my 5speed doesn't drop that much between gears!

So because you're too lazy to flick it to 9th the car is useless? That's your criteria?

All I can say is be careful when the weather warms up that you don't melt.

Last edited:

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
I believe it's related to the latest emissions software update.

I got one of these letters (attached) left on the passenger seat. My dad didn't, all he got was this note on his service statement... (also attached below).

Both are E350s with OM642, his slightly newer with a 7G+ box, both times the software was updated without clearly explaining the consequences (or wasn't even mentioned). He had a different MB dealer service his car.

I know this is slightly different from the OP's problem as mine is a 220D C Class (2018) but I thought it worth mentioning that the car was serviced today and I was given the same piece of paper as you. At the moment I don't notice any real difference; the car goes into 9th at just below 70 on a slightly uphill m/w stretch. However, I suspect that I will use more AdBlue as the OBC is saying 7000 miles till it needs to be filled despite showing full. Previously I've never had to top up AdBlue in this car (or the last one) between services which for me is 12000 miles. I wonder if the ECU update is different for different models depending on a number of factors as I noticed a thread where a couple of 4WD C250s were experiencing up-changes to 9th delayed to about 74.

Ernie

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Hi,

Mine doesn't have AdBlue, and is an E350, but yes, I guess lots of different different cars are being updated, likely in different ways.

I did read that AdBlue cars will consume more AdBlue, which is reasonable to me.

Maybe AdBlue cars don't require the 74mph top gear 'thing', who knows!

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
running low revs the DPF will likely clog up faster, I expect the gearchange point update is in part due to info back from various cars where its started playing up far earlier than expected

tractors gup massive quantities of air, in cold temps they often run too cold on steady motorway runs, it might be the change point is also impacted by ambient air temp / engine temp

euro 6 standard has led some petrol cars to get a Particulate Filter... the new focus is having issues with it blocking up early

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
It's a get out clause for speeding on the motorway .

Graeme755

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 cdi estate 2012
Hello all,

I have joined the forum today after finding this thread.

I am quite reassured by the posts here and also somewhat annoyed by the lack of information given by Mercedes. My experience appears similar to that of others in this thread. I took my 2012 C350 cdi (7 speed auto) in for a service last week. An update was mentioned when I booked the car in but no details were provided and certainly there was no mention of any negative consequences.

I took the car for its first decent run since the service today only to find it will not self-shift into 7th gear below 70 mph. I was able to shift to 7th in manual mode and then switch to eco or sport where it would hold onto 7th until it opted to change down due to reduced speed. I then had to go back to manual mode to get 7th again.

I realise the trip mpg reading may not be that accurate but I estimate fuel consumption today to be about 5% more than I have come to expect for that journey which I have undertaken many times.

OP
W

Winstanley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class/2017/c250
Hi All,

I have been talking to the dealer, and while being helpful and supportive are unable to offer further assistance. I believe the dealers are frustrated too, as there are now a significant loyal customer base who are unhappy as their cars have been de-tuned.

Beware: This software update will radically changed you car for the worse.

The issue has to be taken up with Mercedes Benz and an official complaint raised, a complaint number needs to be sort:

Contact MB on: UK: 01908 245000

They acknowledge:
* This is an official MB "enhancement", and that the NoX levels would be reduced. I stated I would have chosen a petrol version if I required lower NoX levels.
* The top gear in 7 & 9 gears models only operate at ~75 MPH, above the UK legal limit, all gear change points have been effected.
* MANUALLY placing the car into 9th at 70mph has limited effect, as on the flat it will automatically move to DRIVE and change to 8th.
* Operating within the speed limit the car will never reach top gear
* The fuel economy is worse, as the engine power curve has been lowered. So that the engine revs higher; regurgitating more exhaust gasses and significantly warming the catalytic converter, hence lowering NoX.
* Additional ad-blue will be consumed.
* All MB approved second-hand cars must have this "enhancement" to leave the forecourt.
* All regular services by MB will incorporate the enhancement, under the T&C, to service the vehicle.

I believe that MB is encouraging drivers to operate above the speed limit, not consistent with the flow of motorway traffic, putting drivers and passenger's safety at greater risk.

This has been miss sold as an enhancement, when MB will not tell you the consequences of the update.

Is anyone aware of a Class-Action, as this is not the car I originally purchased.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The emissions software update could have serious implications on approved used car sales/values now that the bad news is out there. I can see the dealers will be ‘happy’ nothing like upsetting your client base.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi All,

I have been talking to the dealer, and while being helpful and supportive are unable to offer further assistance. I believe the dealers are frustrated too, as there are now a significant loyal customer base who are unhappy as their cars have been de-tuned.

Beware: This software update will radically changed you car for the worse.

The issue has to be taken up with Mercedes Benz and an official complaint raised, a complaint number needs to be sort:

Contact MB on: UK: 01908 245000

They acknowledge:
* This is an official MB "enhancement", and that the NoX levels would be reduced. I stated I would have chosen a petrol version if I required lower NoX levels.
* The top gear in 7 & 9 gears models only operate at ~75 MPH, above the UK legal limit, all gear change points have been effected.
* MANUALLY placing the car into 9th at 70mph has limited effect, as on the flat it will automatically move to DRIVE and change to 8th.
* Operating within the speed limit the car will never reach top gear
* The fuel economy is worse, as the engine power curve has been lowered. So that the engine revs higher; regurgitating more exhaust gasses and significantly warming the catalytic converter, hence lowering NoX.
* Additional ad-blue will be consumed.
* All MB approved second-hand cars must have this "enhancement" to leave the forecourt.
* All regular services by MB will incorporate the enhancement, under the T&C, to service the vehicle.

I believe that MB is encouraging drivers to operate above the speed limit, not consistent with the flow of motorway traffic, putting drivers and passenger's safety at greater risk.

This has been miss sold as an enhancement, when MB will not tell you the consequences of the update.

Is anyone aware of a Class-Action, as this is not the car I originally purchased.
Mercedes are not encouraging anyone to break the law. It's not compulsory to drive on motorways in the highest gear available and they are not recommending you do so.

The modification is a free update so they haven't mis sold as they have not sold it.

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Mine will change up to 9th at just over 50mph - I’m so glad I went for petrol this time!
My SLC300 is petrol and goes into 9th at around 64mph, so not sure petrol has anything to do with it.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
Mercedes "The best or nothing"

Those days really are long gone are'nt they?

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
So have @GAD Tuning LTD seen any of these modified vehicles and can anything be done to get the mpg back up a bit? I appreciate that the 9th gear issue on the motorway is probably a non starter..

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Following this one with interest too.

Have recently purchased a V 220d.
I tried some things on our last journey, once all warmed up and it will sit in 9th gear with cc on at and above 65 mph.

The revs are at 1100 and a bit at 70 and over a distance of 3300 miles it averages 34 mpg.

Not been back to MB, no recall and not due a service for 16 months / 18k and possibly never likely to depending on circumstances.

Should have bought a 250 and had it remapped but..... good ole hindsight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
The revs are at 1100 and a bit at 70 and over a distance of 3300 miles it averages 34 mpg.

That's some tall gearing going on there! Do you have to change down to get up hills?

Last edited:
Top Bottom