JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Mine will change up to 9th at just over 50mph - I’m so glad I went for petrol this time!

My C350CDi will change into 7th at 52mph and sit there all day.

Why is it hard to press a paddle to change up a gear???? I use the paddles all the time

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I’ve been watching this and other related threads with interest as my car is due for it’s annual service this Month. I booked it in today for a B7 service as part of a service plan I took out with Stratstone soon after I bought the car, during the booking in process the adviser mentioned that an ECU update was also due for installation where I requested information on what the update was for, the adviser, after a short absence returned to confirm, “It was for the Euro 5 emissions, that’s as much as we know”. I had already decided beforehand on the strength of discussions on this forum to decline the update and informed the adviser accordingly, I expected some resistance but there was no argument from him, just confirmation that the update would not be applied. Owning this car has been one long learning curve for me with the vast majority of subject matter being related directly or indirectly to the functions and technologies contributing to achieving the Euro 5 emissions rating of this particular model, my annual MOT will confirm to me that my car is still performing to Euro 5 standards, if ever I mistakenly wander off into a ULEZ charge zone I will be penalised accordingly for a Euro 5 emissions diesel car, it returns around 50 mpg whatever diesel I use, my DPF will regenerate as regular as clockwork every c300mls on premium diesel and c400mls on regular diesel, (and thereby lies another story!) , I’ve spent a very long time using different diesel fuels looking for performance related changes where I found none, gear changes are smooth and as I would expect so in summary, everything is working as it should so as nothing is broken and while MB continue to act like some sort of superior secret society and treat their customers with a level of arrogance I am uncomfortable with, I have no intention of allowing them to fix my ECU with a software update of unknown scope!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I had already decided beforehand on the strength of discussions on this forum to decline the update and informed the adviser accordingly, I expected some resistance but there was no argument from him, just confirmation that the update would not be applied.

And you believe him?

karlak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 300d Saloon AMG Edition Premium - 2020
Hmm, I am due to have my 300d delivered early March. I am hoping it hasn't got this update applied to it. I estimate it would have been built Oct/Nov last year.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And you believe him?
Why wouldn't I? He confirmed to me a note was put on their internal system not to update the ECU, I certainly don't expect to be lied to by one of the dealerships.

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Hello,

As far as I've been told, despite what dealers say, customers cannot opt out of the update if they take the car in for a service. It's applied automatically when the car is hooked up to the system for a service.

Also, GAD and MSL and the like cannot revert the MAP to how it used to be. These guys modify the current map and the values therein, they don't completely overwrite it like a software update on a PC. So they will be able to offer more power and MPG, but only from the lower 'starting point' of a post-MB updated ECU.

With regards to 'just change up into 7th' - firstly, you have to keep switching into manual mode from Comfort and Economy every time you go over 60mph, which in traffic is very annoying and distracting, and yes, you buy an E-Class to waft along and not think about these things. I use the paddles too a lot, but for more sporty driving. When I'm cruising, it really ruins the experience and is very distracting.

Anyway, manually putting the car into 7th and seeing the revs drop still doesn't return the economy back to what it used to.

Finally, what good is calling that MBUK number going to do? I've had very lacklustre response from MBUK. Here's their latest email reply to me, attached below. Absolute nonsense - they do not care and do not want to help.

Cheers,

Ed

Ref: TB-1-25814920709

Dear Mr xx

Mercedes-Benz Model: E-Class E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY
Chassis No: XXX

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are encountering with your car, and I have reviewed the contents of your correspondence.

I note that we have previously investigated your concerns, and explained that you had previously authorised this work to be undertaken, and advised that Recalls must be carried out by our Retailers when cars with outstanding Recalls visit one of our sites.

If you still believe that your car is not operating as it should, I would recommend booking your car in with your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer for further tests to be carried out. I note that no faults were present during the checks carried out once this Recall had been completed.

Moving forward I would recommend that you liaise with your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer to arrange a booking for your concerns to be looked into further.

If you are unhappy with this final decision or feel this matter is unresolved, you can seek advice with an CTSI Certified Alternative Dispute Resolution provider. We are prepared to engage with The Motor Ombudsman to resolve your dispute. Further details can be found at www.themotorombudsman.org, or alternatively their telephone number is 0345 241 3008 selecting option 1.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Thomas Briody
Customer Service UK

Last edited:

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Hi All,

I have been talking to the dealer, and while being helpful and supportive are unable to offer further assistance. I believe the dealers are frustrated too, as there are now a significant loyal customer base who are unhappy as their cars have been de-tuned.

Beware: This software update will radically changed you car for the worse.

The issue has to be taken up with Mercedes Benz and an official complaint raised, a complaint number needs to be sort:

Contact MB on: UK: 01908 245000

They acknowledge:
* This is an official MB "enhancement", and that the NoX levels would be reduced. I stated I would have chosen a petrol version if I required lower NoX levels.
* The top gear in 7 & 9 gears models only operate at ~75 MPH, above the UK legal limit, all gear change points have been effected.
* MANUALLY placing the car into 9th at 70mph has limited effect, as on the flat it will automatically move to DRIVE and change to 8th.
* Operating within the speed limit the car will never reach top gear
* The fuel economy is worse, as the engine power curve has been lowered. So that the engine revs higher; regurgitating more exhaust gasses and significantly warming the catalytic converter, hence lowering NoX.
* Additional ad-blue will be consumed.
* All MB approved second-hand cars must have this "enhancement" to leave the forecourt.
* All regular services by MB will incorporate the enhancement, under the T&C, to service the vehicle.

I believe that MB is encouraging drivers to operate above the speed limit, not consistent with the flow of motorway traffic, putting drivers and passenger's safety at greater risk.

This has been miss sold as an enhancement, when MB will not tell you the consequences of the update.

Is anyone aware of a Class-Action, as this is not the car I originally purchased.

What use is calling the number - have you gotten anywhere with MBUK?

Also, in what way did they acknowledge these things? Verbally over the phone?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I am sure it will need programming to the car.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
I am sure it will need programming to the car.
Just a thought. If the ecu comes with keys would it not already be ready to go once swapped over?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Why wouldn't I? He confirmed to me a note was put on their internal system not to update the ECU, I certainly don't expect to be lied to by one of the dealerships.

I get you mean well but its ridiculous to think installation of the later improved software is a mistake....

what you're basically saying is a global super power making cars for longer than anyone, is really a clueless bunch of incompetents and some random bloke off the internet you've never met and who has no idea how an engine even works and is now disappointed he is no longer able to wear his engine out driving at the wrong revs, clog the DPF, break the law, and kill women and children with illegal emissions, is actually far more knowledgeable ?

if the Mercedes garage didn't install it they should be closed down for breaking the law.

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI W212 (2009)
Yeah! God save MB! They always know best! Dieselgate is a myth! Never call their authority into question!

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...or you could get yourself a Euro 3 or earlier diesel which will have no dpf or in built obsolescence. Just don't drive in cities.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I get you mean well but its ridiculous to think installation of the later improved software is a mistake....

what you're basically saying is a global super power making cars for longer than anyone, is really a clueless bunch of incompetents and some random bloke off the internet you've never met and who has no idea how an engine even works and is now disappointed he is no longer able to wear his engine out driving at the wrong revs, clog the DPF, break the law, and kill women and children with illegal emissions, is actually far more knowledgeable ?

if the Mercedes garage didn't install it they should be closed down for breaking the law.

"Improved software" for whose benefit? what I'm basically saying is EXACTLY what I said above which bears absolutely no resemblance to your particular interpretation herewith. And pray tell, what law would the dealership be breaking by not installing the update at my specific request? I say again, I have no intention of allowing them to fix my ECU with a software update of unknown scope. And unless MB provide prior specific details of exactly what this update is for and what effects it will have on my car and it's performance I will refuse this and any future unspecified updates.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
From what I understand with dieselgate, the VAG group (VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda) broke the law with falsifying the emissions.

BMW & Mercedes are also guilty, but put their hands up and agreed to rectify their vehicles and avoid the huge fines.

So this is why the recall to update the software and make the cars rev more to burn off the nox etc.

Time will tell how this will affect Mercedes vehicles, but it is well known how VAG cars are running badly and thousands of egr valves have been replaced. The adblue tanks are too small to save room and weight, so they will need refilling more often now etc.

It's a shame that we don't have the lemon law like the USA!!

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
It's absolutely ridiculous, I've told my parent's to keep their 2011 Superb cdr 170 well away from any Skoda Dealers for this very reason, or suffer premature EGR failure, plus a loss of performance and MPG. I'm sure this would have also negated any benefit to the environment. You don't get something for nothing.

It was incredibly arrogant and mornonic of the manufacturers to believe they were going to get away with this in the first place. And not only have vehicle owners had to suffer, think of all the damage done to peoples health. VAG should have been broken up really.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The German car industry is a very powerful lobbying force. They get what they pay for from Europes politicians.

Interesting to think that it was a British army officer who saved Volkwagen from closure after WW2.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
"Improved software" for whose benefit? what I'm basically saying is EXACTLY what I said above which bears absolutely no resemblance to your particular interpretation herewith. And pray tell, what law would the dealership be breaking by not installing the update at my specific request? I say again, I have no intention of allowing them to fix my ECU with a software update of unknown scope. And unless MB provide prior specific details of exactly what this update is for and what effects it will have on my car and it's performance I will refuse this and any future unspecified updates.

I fully expect they put it on and you'll never notice...

as for expecting to see if it'll pass an MOT and think that's a way to see if the emission are ok is another crazy idea. Almost anything passes, two key reasons,

1) the standard is almost does it run? yes OK its passed
2) if that's an issue the MOT guy fiddles it through anyway

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom